It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking the advice and input of ATS members on an important issue...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I smell the end of freedom and privacy on the net.

I smell the end of non interactive media...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
Isn't this another rule breaker? Organizing a movement?

The perception that we may be breaking our own rules -- which isn't necessarily incorrect -- is exactly why this thread was created... to bring the issue to our members and clarify if such an effort would be tolerated or not. Judging by the responses, the effort will be embraced.

Also... as I'm preparing things, the actual advocacy site will contain no references to ATS and be open to all user-generated content sites to direct their members with similar concerns.

We may be ready to roll by Monday.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

I smell a revolution, that will not be televised...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Yo, u gonna send a U2U when this website is ready to to let people start signing on a petition? Or do i have to keep checking back here?
Just wonderin.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR

I smell a revolution, that will not be televised...

I smell my favorite media mogul hard at work across the globe, go ahead and search the latest news on Keith Rupert Murdoch and see who he is openly taking on.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm in.

...sometimes, rules need to be broken. This would be one of those times.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLife
Yo, u gonna send a U2U when this website is ready to to let people start signing on a petition?

There will be a major announcement that no one could miss.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Boucher is the Congressman from MY district.

I have personally spoken with him before about this very same bill at a local parade he was attending, and as soon as I mentioned it his proud stature shrank and he immediately got defensive and started giving me this long-winded explanation of it.

It just pisses me off to see that he's now pushing this in Congress again.

Why don't they put THIS stuff on TV when they're running for re-election?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You guys can count me in! No doubt about it, I'm a freedom fighter, and this whole thing is a bunch of bullsnip. I'm ready to sign up. Viva la ATS!

[edit on 11/25/2009 by Slash]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The solution seems simple to me; host ATS in another country.

Even if this becomes a federal policy, it's an American policy, as if the rest of the world cares in the slightest about this. There's plenty of foreign advertisers that would love to get a piece of ATS's traffic and just as many companies that would jump at the chance to host it. The internet is a big place, these morons will only handicap local businesses in the short term, and enhance foreign economies in the long term.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
thanks for doing this. i'm in.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
At least someone saw this coming:

The Government's Plan To Kill Independent Web Sites

Dammit, this isn't gonna help my mancrush on m.o.s one bit.

link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

Why don't they put THIS stuff on TV when they're running for re-election?

Thats a good point, can you OPT in to listen to political advertising at election time instead of being bombarded, lets not limit it to the net, we should include billboards, newspapaer, Television, the superbowl, anything where advertising goes should then have the OPT IN option.
This is absolute horse manure, they are just trying to take control of the internet, this is one of a few ways like the cybersecurity act.

link   
reply to post by bsbray11

That, tells me he knows, he is in the wrong.

He is being utilized as a lobbyist tool and obviously felt ashamed. His defensive stance prooves he knows better, boot licking shill...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I meant this announcement coupled with this.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And all the other measures that are being brought in.
It's not just that small sites will die..
It's that freedom of information, freedom to discuss all manner of things and avenues to do so will be extinguished.

And also they're going to be monitoring everything so closely... that there will be no privacy at all.

All the measures /laws being passed and discussed around the world at the moment, IMO, spell the end of freedom and privacy.... and basically the end of the net as we know it.

[edit on 25/11/09 by blupblup]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Yes, I agree something needs to be done. Contacting your representatives in the House seems a good beginning.

There is also another threat to internet freedom, and that is the attempt to end net neutrality. John McCain has introduced a bill called the "Internet Freedom Bill." It pretends to be defending our rights to use the internet freely, but actually gives internet providers the right to interfere with our access to the net. For example, they can slow the delivery of certain sites or even block them altogether.

We need to fight to protect net neutrality.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I am in full support, whatever you decide to do.

I cannot stand to watch our freedoms slipping away.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
If enough small sites get enough signatures, surely this would give advertisers a big stick to beat the legislators with. For a start, if they have copped on, the advertisers will already know that they will be facing the corporate boys moneywise and that it is going to cost them. They will not like that. I will certainly vote, I don't like the pesky ads and the data collecting, (tonight I get a e-mail asking me to be a social worker which is maybe idiotically sourced to a thread here) but it is now in the e-mail spam folder, because I put it there!

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
That, tells me he knows, he is in the wrong.

That's the same impression I got from him.

I know what the bill is about, but I honestly can't even remember how he explained it, but I know it was definitely far from my own understanding of the bill. He said himself that it was "complicated" at one point IIRC.

At the time I didn't even know he was pushing the bill, I only knew of its existence, which is why I asked him about it, and I was genuinely curious. Funny that he would turn out to be the main proponent of it now.

I almost feel guilty, like I should have known better and given him an earful when I had such an opportunity.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join