It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Community Response Emergency Teams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
This week I attended the first meeting of my local Community Response Emergency Team which was held at my local sector post . In New Zealand a local sector post is located in school or local town hall and contains a radio and other basic equipment . For those not in know since in the event of a natural disaster government help is at least three days , the idea is to have some basic plans in place via the use of local knowledge . A survey will be placed in letterboxes next year to gather info about what resources would be available to us if they were needed and what members of the community would need assistance to evacuate.

Has anybody had any experience with such teams ?
Do you have something similiar in your area ?
Clearly they go against the grain of the lone survivalist but for the rest of us if you cant count on your local community in the event of a natural or man made disaster then you are screwed . I happy to take on such a minor role with Civil Defence * even thou it clashes with other important things because I see it as a service to the community . Elementary training will be provided to members of the group in such things as first aid and radio operation .

* In New Zealand Civil Defence is roughly equivalent to FEMA in the US . Other then the Civil Defence management who are based in Wellington or at the local council level , it is staffed by volunteers.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

For years, my dad volunteered with our county emergency response unit in a communications capacity. They would conduct one large mock disaster training exercise a year in addition to several other smaller training sessions throughout the year.

My dad was a radio operator in Vietnam and later became a HAM radio operator when he returned home from the war. When a disaster strikes and main land lines of communication break down, HAM operators will be the primary means of communication.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It is a great idea.

I wanted to start one called CERT:

Civilian Emergency Response Teams.

Unfortunately I do not have the time needed to set up and organize the it.

Maybe someone on ATS could start this in the U.S.

It would be a non profit entity designed to equip teams to operate independatly of the organization if necessary and coordinate with the organization, first responders, and disaster agencies.

Each Team Member would have CERT Kits that would provide Hard hats, Safety Glasses, gloves, orange vests, masks, flares, flash lights, etc.

In the event of an Emergency these teams could provide equipment and supplies to volunteers and first responders as well as assist affected civilians.

Each neighborhood would have teams establsihed and equiped to respond as needed. Established Scenerios would dictate what response would be required.

In the event there is no communication with the organization or authorities these cells could operate independently to assist and organize the civilians as necessary.

As a non profit organization people could donate funds and write it off on their taxes. Simply start a non profit charter with the Secretary of state for your state.

Maybe with Obamas idea of volunteering for community service we could get some governement money (with his blank check mentality).

I wish I had the time to do it.

Let me know if any of you have this or are going to do it.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by whattheh

We used to have this in the US. It was called Civil Defense and during the years of the Cold War everyone was aware of it and the location of designated fallout shelters.

www.civildefensemuseum.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

I wouldn't put much faith in, "government help",Katrina taught us that one.
You would have to learn to take care of yourself and others.I wouldn't
waste time on fema either,I had to deal with them in 2008.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It is CERT

Community Emergency Response Team
CERT

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Yeah I got it wrong the local group is called a Community Emergency Response Team its what happens when you post into the wee hours my bad .

reply to post by whattheh

Well what ever you want to call its a good idea . Our local team will only meet once a month for a couple of hours excluding the Xmas/New Year period when everyone is busy . Maybe some kind of community grant would be the way to go I don't know how things are in your area .

reply to post by mamabeth

In all fairness adverts play on TV telling people to ready for being on there own for three days or more in the event of some kind of disaster happening . Its not like Kiwis can plead ignorance .

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
All you really need to do is put an advert ( bright and bold) on the public displays in supermarkets, advertising the fact that should anything happen it will take Government upto 3 days to get to you, so why not help yourself first whilst waiting?.
I was in Florida ( I'm a Brit and was on my hols) when Ivan and Jeanne struck, all the power was off for 2 days, luckily we were offered assistance from a guy 4 doors down, he had a generator and hot water and he showed public spirit and consideration to others, so well done to him.

Even if you put a small bright ad it would gather a few looks, put the advert on lamposts , or other willing shop windows in your area. after all there's no point advertising 20 miles down the road is there?
Sure you can have wider area meetings, but focus on local first and if the interest picks up then expand, get neighbours and friends of neighbours to go to meetings.

Don't go all the way advertising on TV unless you have the money to waste as you'll look like a kook or worse an extremist who doesn't trust their Government to help the people.

Make it fun, with cakes and drinks more like a social event , a BBQ or something, pass out flyers which anyone can print off their home PC, all you have to focus on is the need to have edible supplies to last a week, spare clothes and handy toiletries, wet wipes instead of a shower incase there's no running water. Enough medication should you need it. And that way you can compile a list of handy things like those trained in first aid, carpenters, electricians, and other handy professions.
You can advise them to all get cheap radios and decide on an emergency frequency that doesn't intereferre with the real emergency frequency, as well as survival equipment neccessary to look after their families first and others second.
Maybe even run off a couple of check lists so they know who does what and who can do what, and what to have should anything happen.

Luckily for us when Ivan and Jeanne hit we had the sense to go out in between and stock up on water and snacks to last us a few days, we even went overboard on the icecube maker (we took the tray out as it switched off the maker when it got to a certain level and filled the freezer up with ice cubes) it lasted the two days .

[edit on 27/11/09 by DataWraith]

top topics

join