It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medieval madness in God's name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Medieval madness in God's name

www.myrepublica.com

From November 24 onwards, the Gadhimai festival will be held in Bara district. If it weren’t for the outcry in the international media and the reporting by our local media, you might not even have known; festivals such as these up to now are conducted in a quiet manner.

In Nepal, even in year 2009, there is not a single law that protects the unorganized, unchecked transport and killing of millions of animals in the name of God.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardianweekly.co.uk
edition.cnn.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.chinapost.com.tw

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I'm quite tolerant when it comes to religious beliefs but slaughtering animals in the name of God is just disgusting imo.
I mean if God created all life then why on earth would anyone think that He wants His creatures to be killed as a sacrifice in His name.

Perhaps a NWO is needed to outlaw these despicable acts.
Maybe I'm over reacting here, so feel free to debate this ungodly practice.

www.myrepublica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by yizzel
I mean if God created all life then why on earth would anyone think that He wants His creatures to be killed as a sacrifice in His name.

Sacrifice or food, what difference does it make?
That's why i'm vegetarian, despite being pretty much an atheist
or perhaps i'm not an atheist at all the time but no organized religion always

all life forms have a right to live
be a vegetarian!

Originally posted by yizzel
I'm quite tolerant when it comes to religious beliefs but slaughtering animals in the name of God is just disgusting imo.

So this is a misinterpretation of hinduism, animal sacrifice
the story is that after animal sacrifice grew as a trend within hinduism that's when sakyamuni(Buddha) came to teach the masses that they are misinterpreting the Vedas(hindu holy books).

At that point animal sacrifices started to deplete.
However there are always villagers who are so far away from places of education and so on that they probably don't even know about the history or real meaning of the vedas.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by yizzel

God might be craving for human sacrifices soon...

Agreed, killing in the name of god is utter stupidity and the display of the level of a religion.

But what can one except - humankind hasn't changed much since medieval and even more ancient times; only our technology has improved.

-v

[edit on 24-11-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
all life forms have a right to live
be a vegetarian!

Well I agree that all live forms have the right to live, what about plant life?

It's one thing killing animals for food, but it's this is quite different.

Sacrifice in itself is gruesome. Unsystematic mass sacrifice such as the one in Gadhimai is no less than barbaric. The worst killings are those of panchhbali – five offerings – in which the throats of five kinds of animals (buffaloes, goats, pigs, roosters and rats) are slit with a knife. It is not done quickly. The animals die a slow, extremely cruel, violent death while the priests sprinkle the blood across the idol and its surroundings.

Right after the panchhbali, it is the buffaloes’ turn. Wielding swords, men enter a fenced yard where around 20,000 buffaloes are kept, and start hacking at the buffaloes’ necks. As the killers cannot chop off the buffaloes’ heads at once, they first cut the hind legs. After the animal falls on the ground the men hack until the buffalo’s head is separated from the body. It takes up to twenty five attempts to kill a big buffalo. The suffering is unimaginable.
source

I don't know anything about Hinduism. I do agree that these people desperately need educating then.

reply to post by v01i0

Lets hope God doesn't crave for Human sacrifices

Seriously I didn't know that sacrificing animals is still being practiced these days.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Those that believe in reincarnation should take heed.

I too, have adopted different beliefs from different religions from
around the world. I've tried to take the best from each and apply it
as a "universal" offering, handed down by wisemen from all walks
of life and cultures.

I believe in kharma. Very much so. Because it's not about us alone,
but about all living things.

So . . . imagine this, their kharma now may affect how they come
back as a reincarnated "being". Wouldn't it be ironic if they came
back as one of the animals that they are now torturing ?
Ahh . . . kharma !

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
God himself demanded the killing of animals. The Bible says he loves the smell of burning flesh...or something like that. (Maybe someone can find the exact quote)

Anyway, God was the first killer on the planet (according to scriptures). God himself killed the first animal in the garden of eden. It was to show adam and eve that if they stepped out of line, they would have to atone by giving up one of their pets in the garden.

God killed the animal to show them how a sacrifice was supposed to be done.

Then, even though Adam and eve already had clothes they had made out of plant material. God skinned their little pet before he roasted it, and he made them wear the skins of it for clothes. I think that was probably part of the punishment as well.

Can you imagine, if you made a mistake that someone would make you wear your dog's fur after they killed it and ate it?

God demands these bloody sacrifices. It's all through the bible. Even after Jesus was crucified, that was still not enough. Paul continued to sacrifice animals in the temple and first century christians still adhered to the practice. No one accepted Jesus death on the cross as any kind of special atonement. That was made into a story many years later.

Some christian churches today are beginning to teach that the cessation of animal sacrifice was a wrong teaching. All the christians are looking forward to the return of animal sacrifice in the temple. This is why many churches support the rebuilding of the temple in Israel because this is where they will (supposedly) start up the animal sacrifices again.

What they may not realize is that human sacrifices were also offered. Maybe that will return in the future as a method of population control under the coming dominionist regime they have planned.

new topics

top topics

join