It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatred for Christians

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
I also wish to discover where the hatred comes from.

most of the time, the over riding sentiment expressed by atheists behaving like jerks towards christians seems to be "my atheism proves i'm much cleverer than you".

this suggests that they really don't believe that they are very clever but that if they constantly point out the stupidness of christians, it will somehow elevate their intellect.

the hatred is motivated by exactly the same ideas that were behind the inquisition and such, "i'll prove my piety by pointing out the evil of others".

it's not always the case, obviously, but once i considered it might be a motivation behind someones attack, i started to see it everywhere and this particular lens makes the attacks freaking hilarious.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

To go along with the question ZombieOctopus raised : why can't we make fun of religion without the usual shameful and scornful looks? I make fun of "Stargate Atlantis" and no one bats an eye. Why should making fun of one garner more scorn than another? Both are made up and not real.

As for your question about hatred - as an atheist I don't harbour any "hatred" for Christians or Christianity or religion in general. I simply don't like religion and find it laughable at best, pathetic at worst.

But if you want to believe in it then fair play to you and I respect that. However, please do not get into a position of political power where your decisions and choices could be based or influenced by your religion. That isn't fair on everyone else.

Another good reply which gives food for thought... and another star...

However I guess I feel that it is ok to have a joke between friends... but when that joke is on an entire group of people... and starts to become a mainstream "out there" joke, it often starts to isolate that group... and can start to turn to hatred and resentment for that group.

I see it happen with Racism in Britain... In the 50's and 60's there was many jokes about Black and Asian people... these jokes were accepted by the mass media and encouraged... This then played into the hands of the real extreme racists who started to use it to make the views more palatable to the masses and as a spring board for their political views.

This, in my opinion, helped towards the transformation of the skinhead movement in the 70's and an increase in racist attacks.

In the end it was realised that these "harmless jokes" were actually not harmless and were aiding people with extreme views.

Now you will struggle to find blatant racist material in comedy (although it does still exists) and I feel that is for the greater good.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

If i believed that i am better than you because i am a Christian and therefore have a superior belief system... i then displayed this belief in an offensive manner... would that not make me arrogant???

Arrogance
–noun offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

All religion is extremist imo. There is no scale of 1 to 10 here! The moment you decide to deny reality, rational thought and worship a deity, well that by any measure is simply "extremist".

What is this reas the punch and run. Havn't seen this tactic yet.

Op has made some honest points and you can't sit still long enough to debate them you're a funny man. Reas.

I somehow knew this thread was coming Muckster SnF

[edit on 24-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
As long as organized religion exists, there will be no peace amongst humanity.
The moment that you accept anything as truth, you have disregarded all of the other possibilities.

But to single out christianity, it is the most fear-mongering, hate mongering, money swindling scam on the planet. Just because there are a few of you that dont fit into that catagory, doenst change my opinion of the vast majority.
Christianity started as a positive thing, but has been changed over the years into what it is today.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

In my opinion, I think that the best thing us Christians can do when we're being "attacked" is to just defend ourselves and set things straight the best we can, in a civil way. We also need to strive to be true Christ-ians (Golden Rule and all) so that others will see our actions and (hopefully) see that not all Christians are how we're portrayed. In other words, we need to conduct ourselves in a way that will shatter the mold.

If we do these things, we've done all that we can do. The Spirit will do the rest.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
But to single out christianity, it is the most fear-mongering, hate mongering, money swindling scam on the planet.

they are all involved in a plot to take control of the world, we need to limit their ability to control money, maybe we should make them all wear yellow crosses on their arms so we know who they are...........

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

well that's asimple one, and this thread is not new, so I'll give the standard issue reply.

Most athiests don't have a problem with Christianity actually, but they do have a big problem with a lot of their followers, which when it comes to religion, being open or many times, inclusive turn into complete jackholes. Worse, when confronted by any of this behavior, in the athiests eyes, the christian's reason is 'An invisibile man who lives in the sky told me" after that, they simply want to quote ther little book and filibuster their way out of anything or try to play the circular logic game of the same.

so, to point out your speaking points..
1 - killing in the name of christ has been a time honored tradition starting from way in the past. Along with that has been the constant torrent of christians trying to shove out most other religions in their expansionist agenda, and when they can't try to lawyer them out, they start killing and torturing.

2 - points in fact.. people joined jim jones and most of those other whackos on their own free will also.

3 - I don't see pagans and islamics knocking door to door, I don't see buddists preaching on street corners and so on. Lets face it, christian is the new black. we have dating sites, you all have christian dating sites, and so on and so forth.

4 - im sure it has happened through history, but it seems prevalent in the christian churches.

5 - well, yo have yet to answer the question, unless you assume that babies decided to be stillborn, good people taken way before their time and disease to spread across the lands here, as well as famine, and such.

how arrogant are you to sit there and think that the trillions of people here now and before you are wrong in their view that the christian faith is a silly, hateful and cancerous religion that blights this planet?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
[edit on 24-11-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Christianity started as a positive thing, but has been changed over the years into what it is today.

Well said. I share this view and have been told by Christians that I will burn in hell... Just for questioning a couple of sentences in the Bible that didn't make sense to me, and reading up on alternative texts. So much for love thy neighbor...

What made me turn away from Christianity was the overall behaviorism of the so called Christians around me. Not the religion, but what the religion does to people.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

As long as organized religion exists, there will be no peace amongst humanity.
The moment that you accept anything as truth, you have disregarded all of the other possibilities.

But to single out christianity, it is the most fear-mongering, hate mongering, money swindling scam on the planet. Just because there are a few of you that dont fit into that catagory, doenst change my opinion of the vast majority.

Again we seem to be blaming the failing of people on religion!!

I do agree that there are people who abuse religion for their own gain... there are churches which exploit people for money...

However,

I could just as easily argue that books like "the God Delusion" is fear-mongering, money swindling scam. The Richard Dawkins is nothing more than someone who preaches a biased personal view as truth!

You do not know the vast majority of Christians so this is really a statement without foundation.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

The Bible certainly does not advocate and sexual abuse of children

So once you've finished off killing your enemy and taking their virgins to do as you pleas is not sexual abuse ?

Or are you referring to plain old raping of more mature virgins ?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

You do not know the vast majority of Christians so this is really a statement without foundation.

Really now, you might want to re-think that. It's not like Christians are a scarcity on this planet.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Well what is your reason for hating so much that you would claim such a blatant lie.
Out with it.
There it is the old punch and run.

Really now, you might want to re-think that. It's not like Christians are a scarcity on this planet
So what does that tell you ?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
You want to know why, I'll tell you why, point blank, because Christians are winning, that is also why the world loves to hate America.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I did take that quote out of context. My apologies.

I would, however, like to ask a question with all due respect.

Is it not also arrogant to assume/know/faithfully trust your belief is true? Is it not also arrogant to believe that everyone else is incorrect and while easily dismissing all contrasting evidence?

I ask the question only because many non-believers are so because they choose to rely on facts and not beliefs. Operating from a logical ideology one can easily interpret "believing in something" to be intellectually subpar, comparatively speaking.

Of course, I'm not accusing you, or any other religious individual, as being intellectually lacking. I'm simply providing an understanding. And the fact is, logically and scientifically speaking.......we just don't know.

-Dev

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

So once you've finished off killing your enemy and taking their virgins to do as you pleas is not sexual abuse ?

You are taking individual story’s and quotes from the bible and using them as ammo for your argument.

You are therefore making the same mistakes as the very people you wish argue against.

It always irritates me when people (Christians and non Christians) do this. The Bible is a message as a whole... not the individual story’s and quotes within. You have to view the book as a whole or you simply leave it wide open to abuse and misuse.

You are also displaying a perverse modern day westernised attitude toward the word Virgin... A Virgin was merely an unmarried woman... not the perverse rapping of children you seem to be suggesting. Forgive me if I’m wrong with this assessment...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

You want to know why, I'll tell you why, point blank, because Christians are winning, that is also why the world loves to hate America.

What? Why does the world love to hate America? Because they are all Christians or because they are the main cause of what the state of the world is in today?

Sorry but what you just wrote there made no sense what so ever.

[edit on 06/10/2009 by jinx880101]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
What I still see is plain-old, "Anything you can do, I can do better."
Period.

*S&F*

Religious, or non-religious alike, the hatred stems from people, not the writings. OP hit the nail on the head.

It also stems on the way that a person understands the writings, too. You could take it literally, I could take it metaphorically.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Is it not also arrogant to assume/know/faithfully trust your belief is true? Is it not also arrogant to believe that everyone else is incorrect and while easily dismissing all contrasting evidence?

No it's not arrogant this is just part of truly believing something.
Arrogance needs attitude. Without attitude there is no arrogance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join