It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More youngsters believed targeted in assaults on redheads

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
FACE PALM
South Park satirizes American culture. If you watch it and don't get it, you need to think long and hard about the world you live in and how you participate in it. That show actually points out many of the things that are horribly wrong with America these days.

Red hair is a minority trait in most of the world. Us humans have a nasty habit of picking on the minority. Does it have to be this way? No. Has it been this way in the past? Yes.

Kids reflect society. Society picks on minorities, kids reflect that.

Older generations always refer to the younger generations as being the "worst" and a sign of a "bleak future" but that is always the case from generation to generation.

There IS a parenting crisis (at least in America) however. In America it is very difficult to make the money necessary to provide the resources to raise a family without forcing both parents to work. Yes, there are exceptions to that, but in general a dual income is necessary in order to have children. That dual income is now becoming more hours as well. In the United States, we take less vacation, less holidays, work more hours per week and dual income. Children are essentially raised parentless. I refuse to have children because of this.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

"Sometimes jokes do go too far...

It makes you wonder if Anti-Semitism, or Anti-Masonry, or any other Anti- movement all began from a joke that was either misconstrued or taken far too seriously."

Explain to me please how kicking ANYONE is funny??!!
And I doubt I'd find the South Park episode the least bit amusing either!!
No I'm blonde, not redhead but I remember being bullied for being a "bookworm" repeatedly...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I agree that the mass attacks on a child need to be delt with harshly, I do not believe that one on one deserves the same consideration. I'm red haired and freckled and can tell you that this goes back way beyond some dumb episode of South Park. I was picked on quite a bit while I was growing up. After one incident, a neighbor took me under his wing and taught me a nice thing called Judo. The nice thing about Judo is that it cannot be used offensively, you can't attack someone with it. After I slammed four or five "bullys" off the ground, it was amazing how polite people became. The real fun was when the gym teacher tried to use me as an example for a wrestling move in class. After I threw him things got even better. I'm not saying that if a child is bullied you should teach them how to become a bully. That was why my neighbor taught me Judo instead of some of the other things that he could have taught me.

We seem to be trying to remove adversity from our children's lives. To me this is a bad thing. We seem to be trying to remove the right and ability for our children to fight for their defence and beliefs. Again a bad thing. All of this crap about hate speech, give me a break. People need to grow a thicker skin. Remember the old saying "Sticks and stones"? Actual violence against somebody is one thing, getting all worked up because some guy on the radio uses a certain word is just plain BS. We need to be teaching our children that if someone calls them a "name" the person doing the calling has the problem not you. Once you ignore things like this, they pretty much go away.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I don't see how the youngster who was beat up by 12 other kids can "ignore it."

There's a difference between being overly sensitive and having the @!$%# beat out of you.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

I don't see how the youngster who was beat up by 12 other kids can "ignore it."

READ THE VERY FIRST SENTENCE OF MY POST!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
This is the kind of thing that happens when we raise an entire generation of bored directionless sociopaths.

They hurt people for fun.

Yeah clearly something like this is the first time it's ever happened in the entirety of history of this generation must be punished for this behavior that has no parallels anywhere in history. It's completely because they're "bored directionless sociopaths" and not because it's human nature.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think alot of you are missing, why people picked on red heads. In europe red haired people where considered witches. Mankind still today has a phobia aginst people they consider witches.

Do you understand now, where this comes from. red haired people where in yester year considered witches.

Go look it up. Its got a long history. People have fears about what they do not understand. Just like anything they do not understand, they choose to attack them.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalCanadian

South Park has said and shown much more off the wall things. Ever see the one where Cartman tries to enact a final solution on the jewish population of south part? Just goes to show, following Mel Gibson is a bad idea.

Anyway, it shouldnt be too hard to identify the perpetrators of these crimes, considering they are all part of the same face book group. Round em up, and educate them.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Re-read your first sentence again. My apologies. It was at the end of your post that you seemed to be arguing that young people should just get tougher.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Bloody stupid isn't it? There wasn't much of it when I was at school to be honest, no ginger kids ever got much abuse for there hair as far as I was aware?

I have albino white skin and light brown hair, but my facial hair has a slight ginger tint, so I reckon we have it in our family somewhere.

Poor kids

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I wonder if this will be labeled a hate crime?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
In my country we also have this prejudice www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Thank you Andy.....that's exactly right, and very few people know it. It still goes on today in a very serious way, and it's a prejudice that many people are almost proud to admit to. People are quite proud to say that they don't want their kids to have red hair, like it's some kind of slur or deformity.

It's nothing short of racist, and very hurtful to a redhaired child, as I was, to be bullied for the colour of my hair. IT STILL HAPPENS! People still react to me, especially women, with that "Don't trust her, she's a redhead" attitude, and I can spot it a mile off now. I'm not imagining it.

It's not about seeing be as a witch...I am one and have no problem with people knowing that and frankly it's co-incidental...it's about the blatantly racist generalisations made and voiced about people with a certain colouring. Imagine if the same comments were said about Afro Americans, or Maori people, or Japanese children....would it be tolerated? Never. And there is a weird kind of self hatred going on even in Scottish people, who have the highest percentage of redheads in the world, like we're some kind of cliche to be ashamed of....I've never really understood it.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I had to learn to like my red colored hair because in my youth kids would constantly pick on me over it. I was always called carrot top and red head fire engine just to name a few. Now that I am older I love my natural hair color and others think it's cool and unique.
People forget it's not just redheads, even blonds are picked on for being "dumb blonds". Who hasn't heard of a blond joke?

Kids will always pick on each other. Now for a bunch of kids to group together and single out a kid and start kicking him/her that's just ridiculous. The school should have punished the kids. Maybe they should have got the cops involved and shown them a lesson, but for it to be called a hate crime? C'mon they are stupid kids. Show them a lesson and let it be done with.
They should have dealt with it the same way they would any other kind of hate bullying.

And for the "ginger" word, when did that start? I never heard anyone use that word until recently and I am a redhead from birth.
Just when I thought I heard every word in the book for red haired people lol goes to show there are always more.

Also as others have said, DON'T BLAME South Park for crying out loud how ignorant can you be? Redheads have been picked on for a very long time and south park has nothing to do with it. It's far from new. In fact South Park tried to make a point in that episode showing how stupid it is to pick on redheads towards the end when Cartman himself wakes up to the mirror to see he gets "gingervitis" and see's how it feels to have the very hair type he picked on others for.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I was arguing that they should get tougher. I'm looking at this as two seperate situations. I have no tolerance for a bunch of kids beating up on one kid, but if little Kevin knocks down little Jimmy on the playground, I do not believe that it should be a criminal issue. Little Jimmy needs to get up and give little Kevin a fat lip. The people I fought with in school are the same people that I meet on a Friday night and drink beer with. It is a cruel , unfair world out there. The sooner people realize that and equip their children to deal with it, the better off they will be. Some adversity is good, especially if they overcome it. Parents who insulate their children from adversity are not doing their children any good.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Yes, I agree that learning to defend yourself is an important part of growing up. There will always be the playground bully -- that doesn't seem to change much over the years.

The article doesn't say whether any of the youngsters targeted, or any of the assailants, were girls, but I think the same holds true for them. Girls now fight more often, and many times don't fight fair, so they need to be able to protect themselves as well. That is, if the bully is a girl.

I have zero tolerance for males who beat up girls.

What is particularly disturbing about the article I posted, IMO, is that the violence in these instances is gang violence, and it's pretty hard to fend off 12 attackers.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have said this many times, and I am likely to have to say it again after this, but there is only one kinda people I hate in this world. Theres only one kind of person I would like to see harrassed just for being who they are, and believing like they do , and doing and saying the things that they do ... and thats fascists. Haters. People who believe that its cool to make someone feel like crap because of something that they cannot or wouldnt change about themselves . I would stake these sort of people out, and allow fire ants to nip them , one at a time , for months on end. The torment would be well nigh unending... till the boredom sets in at any rate, and theres always a handy river running somewhere, or a garbage can to take whatever remains of the trash .

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I have been spit on, stalked, and in general "noticed" much more because of my hair color.

I truly try to cultivate and live up to the myth of the redhead.

People DO have strong feelings towards someone with red hair,it amazes me but for many reasons which are mentioned here,"we" are unique so it would seem.

I think that ANY crime against a child for any reason is unacceptable.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

There are a number of people who have responded who are red-haired. I have lots of red in my hair, and I've had people not want to work with me because they assume I'm temperamental. The up side is I fell in love with a guy who loved red-heads, which gave me quite an advantage over the competition.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Watch Out...

The Backlash from this is going to bad in retaliation from the Ginger Kids...

Check Him out...he's ready for this war when it comes, this is what your going up against if you think your going to mess with the red heads of the world

Uh Oh

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join