It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing pictures of the LHC

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I thought he was trying to do what Prince reportedly was able to.

But yeah.... cool pics.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Could someone give me a run down on exactly what this does?

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinkarella

I wonder what kind of power plant this thing needs just to run it?

That's a good question. An the Power requirements are as staggering as the LHC in itself.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), set to start up tomorrow, is the largest physics experiment in history, and it’s probably the most power hungry. Spanning the border between Switzerland and France, the 27-kilometer accelerator ring with its accompaniment of radiation-hardened integrated circuits, feeder accelerators, computers, and supercooled superconducting magnets will, according to varying estimates, draw between 220 and 300 megawatts of electricity—enough to power the city of Geneva twice over. Keeping the power flowing reliably takes a good bit of ingenuity, as a sudden loss of power could mean serious damage to the machine and months of lost work.

LINK

Enough electricity consumption to power Geneva TWICE!!!

The LHC’s location enables a unique power procurement system: power comes in from both France and Switzerland. CERN has an agreement with French supplier Électricité de France (EDF) that guarantees a source of reliable, affordable electricity, with one caveat: for 22 days a year during the winter, power costs become prohibitive. (During that time, all the experiments at CERN are shut down.) The contract stipulates that the accelerators will operate mainly from spring to fall, when the public strain on the electrical grid is low. The agreement also means that CERN must reduce its electricity consumption on demand or pay a whopping fine.

And if power to suddenly fail.

the laboratory has a system that can seamlessly switch to the Swiss power grid. In the event of a catastrophic failure that knocks out both the Swiss and French grids due to, for example, a natural disaster, CERN has several massive diesel generators designed to power submarines, which are poised to roar to life at the first hint of an emergency.

Apparently a power interruption could be disastrous. I guess you just can't turn a machine like this off all at once.

This caught my attention.

If the temperature creeps even a fraction of a kelvin above that, the magnets stop working and lose control of the beam. An uncontrolled beam can melt 500 kilograms of copper in an instant, causing serious damage and halting the experiment for months. So it is crucial to keep power flowing into CERN at all times.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jcjace
reply to post by Anamnesis

you are right, the stick figures are running in opposite direction, but one shows the exit to be some 2000meters away the other only 750 meters, your choice.

I like the image of the guy doing some welding on the magnet. Knowing how much really good welders get paid, i wonder how much this guy got paid to put something like this together.

My thoughts were when seeing the welding picture were, Ummmm arent you supposed to use a wrench on braided hoses.

the sign with the guy sitting first thing i thought was it was there break room.

also the pics of the damage, Um had to be some serious power leak out there because helium doesnt turn things black and burnt looking when it leaks out, its an inert gas.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Awesome, boggles the imagination.
Such a mix of the futuristic with everyday mechanical - pipes, hoses, wires, switches.

How many elements, from ethereal to mechanical all have to work together?

One of my questions was, seeing how some of the presumably less essential components warp and bend as they go around the tunnel, how do they keep the core thing perfectly in line? I guess the bedrock is stable, and the rest of the alignment as well as the propulsion is the job of the magnets.

It is unbelievable that anyone would conspire to tackle such a project. Like someone else said, I hope its worth it, and they don't blow us all up. I am not sure if I should be more worried if they fail, or if they succeed.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Epsillion70
reply to post by highfreq

I have to admit it eerily looks something similar to that machine they had in the movie; Event Horizon Starring Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Neill.
I hope the CERN unit it dosent turn out like the one in that movie?

Funny. I was just watching Event Horizon yesterday, and thinking the same thing. The technologies are similar right? They are creating a black hole!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Epsillion70

According to this site ( blogs.discovermagazine.com... ) there is a 10% chance of LHC finding other dimensions, I just hope we don't let anything in (or out). There is also a 0.1% chance of creating a black hole, oops there goes Europe, turned into marmalade.

The chances of finding the Higgs Boson is 95%. If they don't find it, physicists will be scratching their heads for decades. Finding more proof for string theory is 60%.

There is a small chance LHC will create gravitons, which means we could have anti-gravity flying saucers!

But still, it kind of bothers me to think they want to try to recreate the conditions as close as possible to the big bang. Besides creating black holes, creating a local big bang would be bad news imo.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Here is a live feed...

Live Feed

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
There is some good material for the next version of Half Life.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Gamma MO

WTF??? Was that a joke?!!!??

I have to tell you I had my heart in my throat there for a second.

actually neat graphics

[edit on 11/22/2009 by wayno]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

SSSShhhhh!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Gamma MO

AWESOME VID!!!

When the quantum flux settles, maybe we can go back and see what's left hehe

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Lee_K

well they generate protons and send part of them in one tube at nearly the speed of light ( accelerating the more and more with the magnets - EM force ) and another part of them in the second tube at the same nearly speed of light but in the other direction and then they make them smash ( the two packets ) like two cars in front of each one and look for the "debris" .....
LHC has much more power than other machines in the world ( I forget the name but one is in USA ).
They try to find out what kind of debris they get .... from proton to other little particles etc etc ... by mesuring all EM forces and traces they get, they can find out. So maybe they will find a particles they look after : the Higgs one, the God Particle because it gives mass to all the other mass particles .....
The problem is : wath is mass ??? how does a particle get mass - how does it become MATTER ??? that they look for but I think they will NOT find that particle because why would we need a Higgs particle to give mass to another particle ??? I think mass is just a FORCE, it feels like mass but it is just EM or other force unknown .. when you take 2 strong magnets, they repulse each other ( N-S ), that feels like something material that repulses the magnets but it is only EM-force acting ..... I don't know but I think about it all the time and I'm very very curious of the results of this collisions.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

N-N of course !!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
i just think its funny that one day in the future, whether it be far or near, someones gonna look back at these pictures and say, damn, why did they need all that just to do what this does? (and then pics up a collider thats about the size of a ball point pen.) Its happened before, just in a different context.. look at blackberry's for instance... it used to take rooms full of "computers" to do what the calculator function on any cellphone could do now...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by triaxrob

i don't think he's actually making the weld on the braided part of the hose. still it must have tons and tons of hours just for the welding alone. now think of the machine shop that made all the parts, the electricians running wires, all of the hoses for cooling and all, even if it was done section by section some of those pieces are huge. better not make a mistake when labeling each little pieces.

The picture of them loweing the magnet down with the crane is pretty impressive. now i wouldn't want to be the guy that had to drive it down the tunnel. not much room for error there.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Epsillion70
"WARNING : Going through here will give one a...huge unproportionally big, male genital organ(Penis)
Instead of the on closer inspection understanding.
"Duck your head. Low clearance"

You do not know how right you are, lol. The big bang theory came from male ejaculation. Amazing how there using a big penis typed machine, to try to remake it, isn't it.

Now isn't that funny how like you i think the LHC is just a big penis.

People do not understand that sex plays so much into this stuff, lol.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
i know there is enough hysteria on ats about things like religon and end times but if you look at picture 15 on the blokes hat it says cern and is surrounded by three 6's any ideas

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

I do not believe in gravitons ( particles that generate gravitation ) and I do not believe in Higg's particles ( particles that give mass to other particles ... ) why ? because it is too easy to create by imagination always new things that explain it the easy way but never get real !!! how can we imagine a particle like the graviton that react with another particle to create gravitation ... it is much too complicated ... I prefer speak of a Higg's FIELD instead of a particle and a gravitation-FIELD instead of a graviton, we have to study fields and how they interact, not particles.
Does quantum theory not say that you cannot find a particle on some place ?? you only can find a FIELD created by that particle in RELATION with all the others !! it is much more complicated than just a apple and a peer
we are not out of the bar !!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

You may be right, gravity may be a force, but what carries the force? Have you heard of E8, "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything". This surfer dude physicist Lisi says everything can be described by the interaction of 248 particles, many of which have not yet been discovered. The LHC may find some of these yet undiscovered particles.

Here's a link: en.wikipedia.org...

And a video, E8 is strangely beautiful and seems to solve alot of theoretical problems:

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join