It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing pictures of the LHC

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Hello ATS world. I really don't have alot to contribute to this thread but I would like to share these pictures I found while looking up some questions I had about the LHC. I can literally stare at some of these for hours. Just the scope and intricacies and details of some of these pics is amazing. Enjoy!!

The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) says it expects to restart the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) by this weekend after more than a year of repairs. The 27 km (17 mi) particle accelerator was launched last year, but suffered a failure from a faulty electrical connection, damaging 53 of the smasher's 9,300 superconducting magnets. Repairs are now completed, and the plan is to begin injecting protons into the LHC this weekend, on the path to search for particles such as predicted-yet-unobserved Higgs Boson. Collected below are some photographs of the repairs, and of the LHC and some of its experiments in various stages of construction. (30 photos total)

Link for pictures

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Those are really cool pictures. They almost look like a scene straight out of a sci-fi movie! But they are as real as can be.

So cool! Thanks for sharing!

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Really enjoyed looking at those pics and I can't wait until we get some scientific results from this epic machine, it's the unexpected results I'm looking forward to the most though. I think one day we're going to make some amazing discoveries with this collider and I think some of those discoveries will lead to Star Trek type technology which could transform humanity. Hopefully, none of those discoveries would be used to make weapons but I bet they will.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
wow, fantastic photos. imagine the amount of work that has gone into the manufacture and assembly of these components.

Hope its all worth it in the end!!

S&F, nice interesting post that gets us away from the usual LHC doom and gloom!!

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I actually believe the "Langoliers" did this damage?
I cant see any alternate understanding that could possibly eat through such strong metals such as this?

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Awesome pics.

It's amazing that they could put together something that complicated and actually get it to work without any screw ups!

Oh wait, they didn't, it blew up the 1st time.

It will be amazing if they can get it working for any length of time without any more problems, especially when they have to deal with those darn time traveling birds.

I wonder how they can get all of that stuff to work of of green power?

How many wind turbines do you think it takes to run that thing?

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Epsillion70

the metal is not eaten away. its melted with extreme heat. Look like some form of stainless steel.

no mystery at all

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

LOL that has to be the funniest warning sign I have ever seen!
At first glance I would decipher it to mean.
"WARNING : Going through here will give one a...huge unproportionally big, male genital organ(Penis)
Instead of the on closer inspection understanding.
"Duck your head. Low clearance"

[edit on 21-11-2009 by Epsillion70]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Or he's sad because someone cut it off.
-------------------------------------------------------

Great pics and thanks for sharing highfreq.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Yeah He did look somewhat down a bit. Not sure if it was because the sign looks it is saying his tool will be actually cut-off if he goes any further in that area of CERN or he is simply sitting down and admiring his new found Huuuge tool that was a result of going in to that area of CERN.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I appreciate all the thanks guy's! It just blows my mind as I look at the pics. Consider when looking at the pictures that even the most minute part , hose, wire, sensor all have to be working in complete harmony for this modern marvel to work properly. The technology geek in me just smiles ear to ear thinking about that.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

I have to admit it eerily looks something similar to that machine they had in the movie; Event Horizon Starring Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Neill.
I hope the CERN unit it dosent turn out like the one in that movie?

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Awesome photography! Looks like there might be a few little issues, but nothing a roll of duct tape wouldn't fix in no time!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Whoa those pics are mind boggling! Haven't a clue what any of the bits do, but it's all very impressive!

Though a little too 'Black Mesa' for my liking!

Half expecting to be seeing this guy in the near future, chasing headcrabs down those tunnels with a crowbar!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Epsillion70
LOL that has to be the funniest warning sign I have ever seen!
At first glance I would decipher it to mean.
"WARNING : Going through here will give one a...huge unproportionally big, male genital organ(Penis)
Instead of the on closer inspection understanding.
"Duck your head. Low clearance"

I like this one too... the sign on the wall shows two stick figures running in opposite directions! hahaha... "In case of emergency, run like hell! Either way will do."

After reading that 6 tons of Helium vented into the tunnel, I can't help but laugh at the thought of all the scientists, engineers and techs running around talking like Mickey Mouse trying to figure out what happened. lol...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So is that thing up and going this weekend, or is it next weekend?

Neat pictures. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
That is just incredible! It is pretty amazing that humans could build this and yet we fight all the time. I wonder what kind of power plant this thing needs just to run it? Hope they fire it up soon and actually collide something. Cool pics, S & F for you.
Pinky

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

this is exactly the place where the alien from the future did put his teeth on, I hope they close the door next time !! lol lol

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Like my grandfather said. Do it right the first time. Because you don't want to do it over.

Also where is Gordan Freeman when you need him.

(sorry I need to make the gamers joke)

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Anamnesis

you are right, the stick figures are running in opposite direction, but one shows the exit to be some 2000meters away the other only 750 meters, your choice.

I like the image of the guy doing some welding on the magnet. Knowing how much really good welders get paid, i wonder how much this guy got paid to put something like this together.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join