It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugh? email from Corp. "It prohibits employers from making adverse employment decisions based on a

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I thought i would share this with my fellow ATS'ers, this e-mail from corporate had ATS written all over it. MODS please move if in the wrong place. Also i believe i am supposed to quote my source but, hopefully you understand why i have not. My question is.... why do we need this law? Is something coming? Maybe you microchip guys were onto something and GWB may have helped save us/warned us from it,partially. Does anyone know what the point of this law is? What companies are testing Genetic code?

All Managers:
On May 21, 2008, President Bush signed into law the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA), which prohibits U.S. employers from discriminating on the basis of genetic information. The employment provisions of GINA go into effect on November 21, 2009.
GINA protects Americans from discrimination based on information derived from genetic tests. It prohibits employers from making adverse employment decisions based on a person’s genetic code. In addition, employers are not allowed under the law to request or demand a genetic test.
GINA also protects the privacy of personal genetic information by prohibiting the following:
• Bars employers from collecting or using their employees’ genetic information. GINA Prohibits employers from collecting and using employees' genetic information;
• Prohibits employers from discriminating against employees in hiring, firing or any other terms and conditions of employment based on a worker’s genetic information; and
• Allows victims of genetic information discrimination to bring their case to court.
GINA has been called “the first civil rights law of the 21st Century.”

In the coming weeks, the Human Resources Department will be shipping to you the updated Employment Law posters containing the GINA information. Please watch for these posters and immediately replace your existing set with the new information. Attached to this email is a sample PDF file of the new poster.

If you have questions about this legislation or about the Employment Law posters, please contact Human Resources

I may have been doing something wrong my whole time here as i have never "Genetically Tested" any new employees.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Kinda sheds a whole new light on this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

I recieved my e-mail the same day kiwifoot posted that thread. I do find it interesting, maybe Jeb told GW something!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Interesting law that GINA is. It somewhat covers all existing EOE laws in one shot. By that I mean, some genetics and be guessed at just by looking at a person such as if an applicant is male then they will have XY chromosomes, etc.

It would be interesting if a suit could be brought against a company that hired to fill a quota with applicant claiming harm because of a genetic bias was used in filling the position. Such as a XX bias if the position went to a female.

I am sure some lawyer will try that out sooner or later.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Perhaps it was referring to a situation where a person applies for a job and the employer finds out that the applicant's family members all died from cancer before age 40 or something...

that kind of thing. This prevents employers from not hiring someone based on the chance that they too will suffer from the same fate and cost the employers tons of bucks in insurance, etc.

Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Except this specifically had to de with genetic "testing". And unless a applicant disclosed this info to me i would never know. I Can't ask about medical history even before this law.

And yes Insurance cost would be a huge concern, this law would seem to hurt ins. companies/new Gov. controled ins. plans, not help. I am curious what GW may have known. And as much as so many despise him did he silently protect us from the Big O's plan?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I still wonder..... Who is genetically testing employee's? Does anyone know?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I think what it actually says is that at some point in the 21st century, people will be identified by their dna, not some card, not some rfid chip, but their actual dna. This is why it is the civil rights for the 21st century. I guess what won't be in your civil rights is the option of refusing a dna sample.

It's not like you can fake your own dna is it.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by quackers]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

And that's where an enormous invsion of privacy happens. The problem is if this became a problem/normal occurance the employers would have the power especially in an at will state. Odd the TPTB are buying up are major corp.

top topics

join