It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

500 Million New Terrorists!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

500 Million New Terrorists!

english.pravda.ru

The world is becoming unsafer by the day. Before the end of November, half a billion new terrorists will be added to the list kept by the US government.

On November 30, one day before the Lisbon Treaty is scheduled to take effect, the ministers of justice of the EU's 27 member states will sign yet another security agreement with the US. It is supposed to be an essential weapon n the global “War on Terror” the US claims to be fighting.

Under the new agreement, the US government will get access to all the banking data of all Europeans. This means that from December 2009, every single
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.edri.org

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is incredible, I can't believe it to be happening, but apparently it is! I found another source citing this bill which debate started a few months ago. So now even europeans are losing their privacy to the big borther overseas.
I would like every european here to contact their MEP and do not let vote for this.

Cheers

english.pravda.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Pravda is like WorldNetDaily and the Weekly World News... if they say something is real, it probably isn't.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
Pravda is like WorldNetDaily and the Weekly World News... if they say something is real, it probably isn't.

another source: www.edri.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

I can't believe it to be happening

Neither can I.

I was always under the impression that the EU was the best at protecting people's privacy.

However, even if the US has access to this info, wouldn't they still have to go through international channels to do anything about any alarming information they discover?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It's hard taking a News Agency seriously, even though their name means "Truth" in Russian, when their most popular article of today is "Top 10 Largest Breasts in the World".

'nuff said!

However, the premise of the worry of this comes from the following quote:

The danger of the new agreement between the US and the EU is that nobody will know if what he or she is doing may land him in a US jail or in some distant torture center. Suppose you sympathize with a European group giving aid to the civilian victims of NATO bombing campaigns in Afghanistan. You buy a T-shirt for 20 Euros and you forget about it. Then the US government puts the group (whose T-shirt you are wearing) on the list of terror organizations and requests its banking details. As soon as the US government gets these, it has the names of everyone who has ever made donations to the group. Then your name appears and together with all the other names coming up, it is put on the terror suspect list. In the eyes of the US government, you have become a supporter of terrorism and an enemy of the (US) state. Now, nothing stands in the way of your being extradited to the US by your own (European) government. If you are lucky, that is. If not, you may end up in the worldwide US Gulag. You may get kidnapped and put on a rendition flight to a dungeon in Uzbekistan or some other hell hole, where you will be tortured in the most horrible way. Neither your government nor the European Commission will lift a finger to prevent this.

That's taking things to an extreme and sensationalizing quite a bit.

However, it is not unreasonable to think that this doesn't happen already, either. It's just that it isn't going to happen to everyone, but it will happen this way to a few.

I do believe that there are genuine privacy and sovereign autonomy concerns on behalf of the EU and agreement between the US and SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication). I think that the current method, of providing information to the US on a case-by-case basis is a good one, and the EU should be gravely concerned about the US wanting unilateral and parallel real-time access.

Even if Pravda missed the mark in their sensationalism, I think they are right on when it comes to pointing out that this agreement between the US and SWIFT is an overall bad idea.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I was always under the impression that the EU was the best at protecting people's privacy.

HAHAHHAHAAHHA. You haven't read any news from Europe... I've been reading technological/privacy/human chips news from Europe since 2000 and they are as bad as the US... and worse in the UK.

We're in the information age, privacy doesn't exist anymore...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I thought the UK government already sends most of it's data to the US for processing anyway, haha, so what real difference will this make.. we're simply commodities to be brought and sold by TPTB..

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Most definitely america spies on uk, none stop. They get round laws by spying on other countries, like usa spies all on uk citizens, so no law is broken lol.

At least we let the americans be the violent ones of the world, while us europeans have moved past all that, and we do not want to know.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Eh, sketchy source, sketchy information.

I'm not buying it at the moment.

We'll see what happens as things progress.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Can one point out that it already happened, before this so called agreement was introduced, could be why the Switzerland keeps refusing Acess, to bank accounts within thier country.

After September 11th, I do believe it has been posted on ATS before, banks and governements within the EU were given data to the US Authorities, without the knowledge of the custoers/citizens.

I will of course have to look for that thread.

As for the agreement yes it has to go through the EU Parliament, but I thought the EU Parliament rejected the idea, it was the EU Council whom agreed to it!

top topics

join