It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where to get help for my Neighbor and Kids?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I am going to keep this short. My Neighbor has 4 kids 12, 11 9 and 8. Their father died just before the 8 year old was born. I am not going to pretend to know this ladies business, but she left a job nursing a few years ago (1 or 2). She's been unemployed since then. I think she has been looking but not having much luck. She has been living with assistance from her father, food stamps etc...

They are losing their home. I guess it is being foreclosed and they have to be out in a month or two.

I have no idea where they will end up but those kids do not deserve what they are going through nor what they are about to go through.

That house cost about 80k in 1993 but I am not sure how much is owed on it by this family.

A lawyer has worked with them I believe and now is saying they have to move.

Is there help out there for stuff like this? I am not in a position to help them an y more than I have which is substantial but I hate to see them thrown out. Their mom is in school using the GI bill to increase her nursing credentials but it will be to late to save this situation.

Anyone know of a program or people that could help them keep this house till their mom gets on her feet again?

Thanks for your help!

X

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Find a local church and get them involved in it.

Flame away all you anti-religious ATS'ers.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Xeven ,

I am not an American citizen, so i am unable to provide the information you seek .

I just wanted to say fair dues to you for giving a damn , ...... you may think what you are doing is nothing , but it is `something`.

If everyone did `something` then i dare say society as we know it, would be the better for it .

My humble nod of respect from across the Atlantic ocean.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Find a local church and get them involved in it.

Flame away all you anti-religious ATS'ers.

Nah man, I'm not religious, but the church is a great idea, they may have contacts, be able to make collections, have emergency funds, loads of stuff.

Oh, and they can pray too, I'm not making fun either, who am I to say it doesn't work??

Good idea mate.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Please go here to see if this will help. Sounds like she is really in a bad mess, wouldn't want to be there. Life is hard enough without this going on. Give her blessings. This website will tell her what to do to keep her home. Check it out, he has a lot of good advice for a lot of people going through this right now.

www.thetrustee911.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
That's what makes me sick about this world. People that have gone through more than enough hardships just get additional hardships thrown on top of them and never get the fortune that they deserve, yet Soulja Boy and Lil Wayne get everything by releasing extraordinarily crap material.

Yeesh. Humanity works in ridiculous ways huh?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Since a lawyer has been involved, it can probably be ruled that her traditional options of Negotiation, Refinancing, ''Hard Money'' Seconds, Walk Away from the Transaction, Declaratory Relief, Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure, Reinstatement of the Defaulted Mortgage, and Equitable Redemption are not options in this particular case.

The next step of advice I would offer is to go to your local Welfare Office. Even if they may not have any Assistance programs that can help her situation, her Case Worker should be networked enough to provide her with a list of local resources she can apply to for Assistance from private charities and foundations. There is private assistance available from everything to covering Heating in the Winter, to Job Rehabilitation/Training, to Subsidizing Rent/Mortgages.

Churches are a wonderful resources. Although Charity even amongst Christian Churches is not as common as it once was, many Churches still give more to their communities than most.

Don't overlook resources like Craigslist either. All it takes is one Craigslist ad, telling your situation to find help from those who can. I know a lot of people who can't sell their homes right now because of the market, and offer to let people stay in those homes rent free in exchange for basically housesitting and maintaining their house (and keeping it squatter free). When my daughter and I were about to become homeless I was absolutely floored with the outpouring of help I received on Craigslist. In the end I didn't have to resort to accepting help from any of those wonderful strangers, but it renewed my belief that people are inherently good.

Lastly, take her story to the local media. This time of year it is common for local News Agencies to cover these kind of Human Interest stories. Often times, it hooks up those most in need with those who can help them out. The MSM might be enemy #1 on ATS, but they can be her biggest advocate considering her story.

Best of luck to your neighbor/friend and her family. I hope that everything works out for them. It sounds like it has been one rough patch after another. It would be nice if this could turn into a happy ending for them.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I would suggest sending her to the local Section 8 housing office... Most people don't really understand public housing but its not all slum high rises... they can give her a voucher she can take to a landlord who may be able to put them in a small house... with 4 kids she should qualify for at least a three bedroom???

Some places there is this huge waiting list to get in... the group I work with "Parents of Murdered Children" has in the past made recommendations to the victims assistance offices and got instant housing vouchers... if by any chance she is a crime victim I would have her first go to her VA office as they can expedite the process... that's all the help I can think of without knowing more details

PS every county in the states is supposed to have their own Section 8 office but some small or poor counties get together with other counties and form a regional office

[edit on 16-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Brother I'm going to give you some life advise. Please pass this along to her if you really want to help. Understand that her priorites are not strait. She needs to be working and going to school second. In life you can't just decide that you are going to "will" things to happen. It takes brains also. If you don't like your job, continue working there as you attend school to better your position in life. Thats her first mistake. Second, it's most likely to late to save the house. She is going to have to accept that she is loosing the house. Get an apartment, get a job, continue the school. Priority number one is to get a job and find an apartment. Priority number two is school. Getting involved in a Church will help but, they are going to say the same thing. Why aren't you working? God helps those who help themself. Loosing the house is not the end of the world. But if she doesn't get her priorities strait and get a job, she will be on the street. Or giving you the story hoping you'll help her out of her own idiocy. You said she got a lawyer? Now she owes him also. She is being lazy. If she cares about her chilrens future and not her own selfish desires, she will go get a nursing job before its to late. Tell her the truth. If she stops talking to you, its because she was looking for a handout to begin with.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well I am certainly glad I'm not in your position.
Then again I might just be the perfect person to be in your shoes.
Yes absolutly, I would be. I would n't be able to stop myself from going over there and being the big hero. The dumbazz in don te te das for sure.
IDK why. That's the idiot I am. Just me, and I'm in noway suggesting
you do things the way my dumb azz would have to them. I just would n,t be able to keep my self from making sure those little kids wern't going to be all broken up at Christmas time, without a roof over their heads .
Call me an idiot for sure , I know I am for not minding my own
business and getting involved at any cost to myself.
To make sure that little family made it thru. Against an immoral and unjust world. A world that is run as if it is populated by robots instead of human beings who make mistakes. A horrifying world (am I gettin to ya)
that seeks to rip familys apart and fill their short little lives with sickness and desease.
.Here's the part that really gets me. The only reason, this is just so silly.
The only reason I would have for doing this?
Because it was something happening near me where I felt I had to make a difference.
Not because I wanted to. Because I had to or nobody else would .
This could be your finest hour.
This could be your chance.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Brother I'm going to give you some life advise. Please pass this along to her if you really want to help. Understand that her priorites are not strait. She needs to be working and going to school second. In life you can't just decide that you are going to "will" things to happen. It takes brains also. If you don't like your job, continue working there as you attend school to better your position in life. Thats her first mistake. Second, it's most likely to late to save the house. She is going to have to accept that she is loosing the house. Get an apartment, get a job, continue the school. Priority number one is to get a job and find an apartment. Priority number two is school. Getting involved in a Church will help but, they are going to say the same thing. Why aren't you working? God helps those who help themself. Loosing the house is not the end of the world. But if she doesn't get her priorities strait and get a job, she will be on the street. Or giving you the story hoping you'll help her out of her own idiocy. You said she got a lawyer? Now she owes him also. She is being lazy. If she cares about her chilrens future and not her own selfish desires, she will go get a nursing job before its to late. Tell her the truth. If she stops talking to you, its because she was looking for a handout to begin with.
reply to post by GetUrPrioritiesStrait

You need to walk a mile in her shoes before you judge her.
good thread SnF

[edit on 16-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Wouldn't you also need to walk a mile in his/her shoes before you judge them?

It sucks but sadly this is a very common story right now and many people go themselves into this situation with their own actions. If the person hasn't asked you to directly help then I would suggest you let her deal with it on her own. Offer what you can but maybe this is a lesson in life she needs to learn and it will make her a better person for it.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
I am going to keep this short. My Neighbor has 4 kids 12, 11 9 and 8. Their father died just before the 8 year old was born. I am not going to pretend to know this ladies business, but she left a job nursing a few years ago (1 or 2). She's been unemployed since then. I think she has been looking but not having much luck. She has been living with assistance from her father, food stamps etc...

They are losing their home. I guess it is being foreclosed and they have to be out in a month or two.

I have no idea where they will end up but those kids do not deserve what they are going through nor what they are about to go through.

That house cost about 80k in 1993 but I am not sure how much is owed on it by this family.

A lawyer has worked with them I believe and now is saying they have to move.

Is there help out there for stuff like this? I am not in a position to help them an y more than I have which is substantial but I hate to see them thrown out. Their mom is in school using the GI bill to increase her nursing credentials but it will be to late to save this situation.

Anyone know of a program or people that could help them keep this house till their mom gets on her feet again?

Thanks for your help!

X

What state is she in? Each state is different.

Has she applied for social security (from her husband's death)?

Storage for her stuff will probably be expensive, so to save on that, she should sell stuff she isn't needing to lighten the load.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by randyvs

Wouldn't you also need to walk a mile in his/her shoes before you judge them?

It sucks but sadly this is a very common story right now and many people go themselves into this situation with their own actions. If the person hasn't asked you to directly help then I would suggest you let her deal with it on her own. Offer what you can but maybe this is a lesson in life she needs to learn and it will make her a better person for it.

It sounds to me like she made a lot of bad decisions after her husband passed that is catching up to her. However, when someone is grieving the person is a lot of times too emotional to think straight anyway.

The economy is so lousy right now that a lot of places are even laying off nurses. And with her being out of work in that field for so long, she'd have to go back to school and get recertified in order to get a job in a lot of areas.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I would recommend to get on the Section 8 list as soon as possible. Some areas have a 3 year waiting list. They have you pay 30 percent of your income and they pay for the rest of your rent. If your income changes, your share of the rent changes.

Also around many big cities there are usually free food places. I would recommend eating there. Food stamps by themselves are usually not enough.

She may need to move in with dad until her position on the Section 8 list comes up.

I have seen many families with their kids on the corners near the Walmarts panhandling. I would not suggest doing this unless things are deathly dire.

I forgot to add that you get Section 8 at your local Housing Authority. Look it up.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by LuxFestinus]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

I get that but her husband died 8 years ago so its not like that is the direct issue here. I couldn't imagine having to deal with the pain of losing a spouse but I also realize that maybe this is what she needs to snap her out of her funk and realize whats truly important to her.

My wifes brother lived with me for 1 year and my wife thought it would help teach him to grow up and get back on his feet. What really taught him to grow up was when I told her no more and that he had a set date to get money saved up and move out because he would no longer be living off us. This lady has living of public assistance and the good will of her father but the whole time living beyond her means. This is life's message to her its time to wake up and move on.

Just a guess of course because I don't know her at all and by the sounds of it the OP wasn't directly asked for help anyway. Maybe this person doesn't really want her help in the first place.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Happy to report that their mom got a nursing Job today!

I think they will still lose their house but at least they will be able to skip the homeless stage. I hope they can find a way to keep their home but I am very happy to see the kids will not have to go through what was very bad roads ahead.

I do not understand how we can pump so much of our money overseas to build up other nations and countries while our own people are going through such horrible changes in life.

If Obama wants to cut the deficit I would first start with foreign spending to help our own first. Taking care of our own should by law be a must before sending aid overseas. There should not be ANY money going overseas that contributes to deficit spending.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

You don't spend a lot overseas relative to your GDP. You do, however, spend a lot on your military (which is manned mostly by hicks, anyway.)

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

She could.. erm... get a job?

She's a NURSE for crying out loud...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Xeven

She could.. erm... get a job?

She's a NURSE for crying out loud...

It was posted that she finally landed employment.

A lot of places are cutting nurses because of the economy. It isn't the stable job that it used to be.

I'm glad she landed the job. She probably has really poor self esteem right now and the job will help that, hopefully.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join