It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS will never let you delete your account

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent-ATS

Do this Google Search: Forum account delete.

You'll find that it's a common question on forums and that NO Internet forum has this function. If you read through some of those forums you'll see that members reply that "Administrators will delete the account for you". You'll then notice that the account of each person was only disabled and not deleted. If it was deleted then you wouldn't be able to read that person's post or see that account name... Catch 22. As explained – you cannot delete an account without removing the posts. You cannot remove posts without destroying threads.

This has nothing to do with ATS. It is how all internet forums work. There is a difference between other user websties such as facebook, Youtube, etc. and forums...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gaspode

I like the Mafia analogy better.

Peace

[edit on 16-11-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gaspode

Maybe it’s just me then, but I’ve left a couple of forums and closed my account, and my posts are still there for all to see. ( I wish some wernt
)

But my account says locked or something like that.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by Agent-ATS]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I have never seen a forum where one can personally "lock" their own account.

Could you direct me to one or two of them?

Also, if "you" lock your own account, can you not then "unlock" it at your discretion?

Semper

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Maybe I'm getting confused with websites and forums?

Hmmm, so this “You cant close your forum account unless we say so is wide spread then?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Being a little acquainted with coding, I can only say the code to allow a "member" to effect the code to the extent you are discussing is not feasible while maintaining a secure environment.

Semper

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

So you're saying that NO forum website on the internet lets you close your account?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I can attest that my forum does not allow deletion by members

To me it's almost always about dramatics

I had this overly dramatic girl tell me whe wanted to delete here account because she just didn't want to be part of it. I said no problem we will happily ban you if you so chose. She wanted it deleted so she could 'erase the memory'

My site is miniscule in comparison to ATS...TINY!!!

But I have a few folks every year who don't always agree and they want to be deleted...every single time it comes down to dramatics...go out with a bang so we can say "Tha will show those ATS goons!"

Just MHO of course

If tomorrow I wanted to leave ATS forever I would just walk and not return...I don't need help practising self-restraint and I don't need to go out in a dramatic bang...PS I can't stand those 'I am leaving forever posts"

-shudder-

Anyway...one of the most important factors is this...you knew or should have known the rules before you came into agreement with ATS

that's all from me...love me or hate me it is just my opinion

-Kyo

[edit on 16-11-2009 by KyoZero]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Well, we've only reviewed about 47,612 of them and that's only .03%.
Actually, just for grins Google >close forum account< and read through some of the results. Boy does it look familiar.

Sure there are some forums out there that do all sorts of different things. The question is, does it make sense and is there any value to providing the option? What are the down sides? There are also forums out there who let you change a username. We've never permitted that, either. You can reregister under a different name, but we can't change the name on an existing profile, so someone doing that has to start over from scratch.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

No

I'm saying that "I" don't know of, nor have I seen any that allow it..

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

My point is not about going out with a BANG.

It’s about ....”You know what I’m done with your site (not ATS), I want to leave and no longer be a part of it of your sites statistics” (That could earn you revenue)

I really can’t see the problem in that. I must be missing something about the whole internet code of ethics?

Maybe ATS, (a site I believe has one of the best codes of ethics online I've come across) can change this? Or am I asking too much?

$^£$% you %$^£% ban me ...................is that what we have to do to get off theses “lists” we no longer wish to be a part of?

[edit on 16-11-2009 by Agent-ATS]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

So, let's suppose that I'm a little upset with Metallica over the whole Napster thing; can me and a few million others send our CDs back to Metallica so that they can no longer advertise however many times they have gone platinum?

Or if you write a book cooperatively with 9 other ATS members and have it published- it's out there on the store shelves- and you then decide you need to distance yourself from that group for some reason, can you ask them to go out to all the bookstores and libraries and redact all of your content, no matter how badly it damages the context of what remains, despite the agreements you've made previously with the other writers and the publisher?

ATS brought in the members- that's a legit statistic. If they all stop coming back, the membership number doesn't fool anyone. Quantcast knows what perentage of our hits are one-timers and what percent are addicts, how many hits we have etc- nobody is just saying, "wow, i bet all those members log in every day, lets pay ATS a lot of money without seeing the traffic data!"

And, those members interact. Individually they just create posts, but cooperatively they create DISCUSSIONS. And when you start removing posts, you damage the discussion, which wouldn't be fair to the other members. So everyone agrees to allow their content to be displayed.

On ATS and pretty much everywhere else in the world, a person is welcome to change their mind about the present and future of their interactions with others, but what a person has already done normally remains fixed.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
SO are we all clear if you behave, you can come back and debate and not be an ass?

And you’re IP will stop taking a kicking!

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This question has been around so long I can't believe that it's still get brought up on every dam board.

If you no longer wish to use an account and don't want others the possibility
to use it,then asked to be banned or tell them you want to start a new account.
Most boards will ban your account. Most will ask why. Take the high road.

Here you can ask A Supermod or even Mod I'm not sure though.
You most likely can start a new account after if you want.

If the owners have a problem with that,get yourself banned.
I don't condone drama.

You can't go back in time and erase your content.
If have a concern about a SPECIFIC post bring it up to them.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Hey that is not a problem

mention Ceausescu in Kanada, and you will be banned for mentioning their

"retarded" intelligentsia's, misogynist mass murdering kidnapping and perjury.

community.theblackvault.com...

The cleptocracy considers the internet a weapon, as dictators do, free speech.

ATS is protecting its subscribers from being silenced permanently, at least their threads.

www.mindcontrolforums.com...

Mind has no firewall, and cleptocrazy wants Ceausescu to do the population's thinking for them.

Deleting an account is impossible at ATS

but Ceausescu is deleting the account holders

who mention

community.theblackvault.com...

his kidnapping and perjury.

www.lifesitenews.com...
news.findlaw.com...

They don't delete accounts

Ceausescu only deletes the account holders.

[edit on 21-11-2009 by frankenkitty]

[edit on 21-11-2009 by frankenkitty]

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I refuse to believe one cannot somehow cease being a member, and the site still retain the content alone with your old screen-name as the o.p.

Why would your membership have to be retained to provide the printed content you voluntarily submitted when you WERE a member?

They could easily provide a "past-topic-thread-replies' section without the original posters present. We know they can always use our stuff, so why not let us delete our membership, leaving just our posts and threads behind? How would that confuse anyone?

Great. A conspiracy on a conspiracy website. I guess when we want to leave, we should all just get thrown out.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: pissed off

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

..but who said we'd want to remove our posts too? Just our membership commitment.
I think they are confused. You should be let out when you want and leave your posts and threads behind.

By telling us it will confuse things...I think they are confused. Its the numbers alright. They need the numbers.

"LET MY PEOPLE GO!" Hey! It worked for Moses. And his stuff is still around....
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: mod non centz

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
reply to post by schrodingers dog

..but who said we'd want to remove our posts too? Just our membership commitment.
I think they are confused. You should be let out when you want and leave your posts and threads behind.

I have to admit that I am also a little confused ... if one is alright with leaving their posting history behind, what is the difference between having the option to close one's account and simply logging off never to come back?

I'm not exactly sure if the "it's a numbers thing" theory holds water anyway ... in the board stats ATS displays how many members are active relative to how many have registered historically. So it's not like they are pretending to have more of an active membership than they actually do, in fact they go out of their way to be upfront about activity levels, both with us or any potential advertiser.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but I really don't see what the issue is ... especially since this is one of the terms we agree with when signing up.

edit on 29 Nov 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
As stated, it's not about numbers, it's about having threads be readable...

If everyone were able to remove their account/posts/threads, then not many threads would make any sense. As I understand it, that is the primary reasoning for this policy ... I'm not sure how that translates to the aformentioned BMW's though.

That's it in a nutshell. In addition, the OFFICIAL explanation is on page 1 of this thread.

Can you imagine trying to read a thread where the OP's postings were removed? How much sense would that make? Or even in threads where the member participated? It'd be like taking a book, and ripping out pages at random, and then trying to follow the story.

Good luck with that...

THAT is the reason we don't delete.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join