It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS will never let you delete your account

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

We are talking about LEAVING the POSTS ORIGINATORS name, all the posts...and just ending our email ID and basic membership and physically "going away".

Whats so hard to understand? Keep my name, leave my posts...but kill my email and profile 'cause Im not comin' back?

And they cant do this WHY again?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Because there's no point in it. People get upset and change their minds days later. "Delete my account!" "Wait, never mind, reinstate it." "Okay delete it again."

Or, "My brother got access to my account and deleted it and I didn't want it to be." "The cat walked across the keyboard and deleted it."

Etc etc etc

It serves no purpose, other than to acquiesce to some tantrum thrower tossing their toys out of the pram. Waaah. Waaah.

Pretend it's deleted. If you don't come back, you'll never know.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDesolate

Makes sense ... except it doesn't satisfy the whole "I haz been vexed and the whole world needs to know about it" dynamic that most who want to delete their account seek.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

That was implied.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
you could delete an account and leave the content if you wanted to. I'd like to delete mine because I realized that a quarter of the people who post on here are provacateurs, and operatives could hack passwords and post in someones name on here and completely screw them, which is the real reason you don't give us the option.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
We used to call things like this and others "flounce threads"

It invariably starts out with panties wadding and then a "flounce" thread with dramatic goodbyes and bashing the site. Then the PMs of DELETE MY ACCOUNT OR I'LL SUE YOU!!! or I made that name and I use it all over the internet so I OWN it..

In any case, the site owners and admins are smart. We're all big kids here and if you dont want to post anymore.. no one will twist your arm to force you to ever log in again. Simple. With my original account I wanted to delete it as I was moving overseas for an extended period.. found I couldnt.. big whoop. Then I came back, wanted to post again and forgot my password and the numbers I put after the name! LOL! I made another. Unless youre seriously attached to your flags or stars ( as some definitely are) it really doesnt matter.

Bottom line is no site is perfect, but this is a heck of a good site with long time members here that care about the site. As Id said in another gripe thread, SPringer has provided this place to all of us FREE and has never made any outrageous rules in the T&C/TOS. Until you pay his bills you have no say and should enjoy the site as it is. Its quite well functioning with the rules put in place.. especially compared to other conspiracy sites Ive been a member of over the yrs.

Now if I could just convince them to get rid of the stars and flags.....

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So what's the big deal?
ATS didn't charge you a registeration fee.
It's there site and they make the rules.
Do you sign all contracts before reading them?
This a web site for discussing a miriad of
interesting topics. If you feel that your posts
are so valuable then compile them in a book
format and have them copywrited. Like the
man said, "dont let the door hit you in the @zz
on the way out"!!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tac109

Forgot to add this. So their making money. Sounds like you
have a problem with that.

This is still America and it is called free enterprise::

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Gotta say these people are absolutely right.
Even the damn Facebook has this option.
Even damn Facebook!
There could be so many serious reasons for this. Which ones? Not necessary your business.
For example someone gets drunk, creates an account with his real name or nick that is well known or IP associated with this person and than he leak some really secret stuff, or just say something wrong after years of membership (about government or whatever). After few days problems knock on doors. Even after years when governments go wild, police state can still track your profile back and use it against you. Are you guys some alphabet agency or what? Give these people their anonymity back. Is it so hard to change their names to "DELETED ACCOUNT" in all their posts without deleting posts itself? What have ANONYMOUS said recently?

Mmm, maybe I should better delete this post. I'll do it tomorow.
Oh wait, I wont! It's here forever...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I didn't read much of the topic but I am only looking to delete my account because I misspelled my name and wish to use the same email address to create an account with the actual spelling of the screen name for which I wish to be addressed.. I figure that I can't have 2 accounts listed on here with the same email address.,*haven't actually checked yet

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by saitelite

Change the e-mail address to something else on the current account (under Tools) and then register the new account with the e-mail address you are actually going to use. Just notify the staff via the Complaints (and suggestions) form of your account change once you are done.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

ah, that makes sense, thanks!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

didn't work, maybe takes a moment; logged out, and logged back in and the new email address is listed..but when I went to register the email address says it's being used by another user.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Why does it seem like everyone wants to go with a BANG?

Because flouncing is still fashionable on the t'internet.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
If I'd known this, I'd have never signed up. Its way too weird.

it does not *feel* like the actions of people overly concerned with the privacy or safety of its membership.

If I had the option I would deactivate my account right now.
edit on 15-6-2012 by ThoughtForms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It's technically unfeasible. ATS is a complex system. Posts in threads are tied to the accounts. It's part of the structure. If you physically deleted an account there would no longer be an account associated with the post. Who even knows what would happen? You already SAID what you did in a post publicly. Just like real life, you can't take back your words. Further, deleting accounts is work. When you say "Delete my account" you are saying, "I want you to do work for me." Administrators have enough work to do already. They don't need another daily task just because you have a bee in your bonnet.

In terms of advertisers being impressed, that just shows your ignorance. You don't have a clue about how advertising works. Advertisers aren't stupid, and they don't care about how many members there are. All they care about is click rate, how many people they attract, which includeds anonymous users as well. Given that they see more ads, they are likely more valuable than Phage, who, I'll bet, NEVER clicks on an ad. If you look at the site statistics, only 55% of the members have ever posted anything. Of the 144,000 who have posted, 110,000 have fewer than 20 posts. In other words, the vast majority of traffic is generated by 13% of the users. Only 2% of the users have over 500 posts.

But, as ususal, ATS members display how ignorant they are by postulating that ATS somehow makes more money because they have zombie accounts that inflate their statistics. If ATS were REALLY interested in total account numbers to impress someone, they wouldn't readily admit that only 55% of members have ever posted. They wouldn;t be advertising that 87% of their registered users have posted less than 20 times total. Those are negative statistics. Those people, 87% of the registered ones, are not contributing anything useful to the site. What you have here on ATS is about 5,000 active users. Everyone else is just hanging on for the ride.

So the bottom line is that it's not about you. Statistically, 87% of you are not all that important and no one can tell whether you're here or not. Your contribution has been minimal, inconsequential, and you won't be missed. So if you don;t like theplace, just leave.
edit on 6/15/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tac109

I don't like the feeling of having no control over an account that I made.

Being tired of ATS is just a reflection of being tired of the real world, that's all.

What are the chances that you actually read the terms of service before signing up?

Bottom line:
It's a privately owned website, and nobody "tricked" us into signing up or withheld any policy information. It's not like some posts you made are vital organs that you can't get back.

I'd just let it go.

edit on 15-6-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
The post count has nothing to do with it. If we cared about our post count, why would we have such a stringent standard on one-line responses? We'd be wide open to members spamming with one-liners left and right to bump our post total.

But that's a blatant lie. The rule about one-line responses is still being broken, now a lot of people just stupidly add "2nd" (or "2nd line" or similar) to their one-line posts. It's obvious that the staff doesn't care much about this, I know because I used to report those posts... until the administration decided that the "alert" function is not to be used to report them. So, effectively, spamming is allowed, even if you want to pretend that it's not. One has to wonder why.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join