It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beauty Industry - Starting on Men Now!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

That's great that you could improve someones self confidence. It must be heart-warming. I also know that there are some good products that actually do something and are backed by sound science. Retinoids are a good example.

What I am against is that the marketeers are starting to tell men what they need to look like to conform to the norm, just as they have done with women. And I know people that are damaging their health to achieve this.

Now the majority of women in the West think they are too fat, think they must have "ABs" and theat they need to try the latest celebrity fad craze. Most never achieve their desires permanently so become a permanent revenue stream for the supply companies.

The majority of people on the planet don't get enough food and the ones that do are worying about how many muscles you can see in their stomach. What a strange world we live in.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

Strange isn't the half of it.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
I'm curious,(serious and polite Mods note) why is it do you think really gorgeous women hang in with ugly looking blokes, I seem to see quite a few of them about.

I sometimes wonder, "what the hell does she see in lardman there ?" (no offence I'm no stick insect) women seem to be some dorkey choices leaving one baffled and concluding the dude must be hung like a baboon can be the only explanation.

It would depend entirely upon the individuals in question and what motivated them when choosing a sexual partner. Money has been mentioned and that can be, for some women, a decisive factor, more so if it goes hand in hand with power.

Penis size is almost always irrelevent in terms of choosing a long term partner. Doesn't provide any kind of security at all. We may nolonger be driven by evolutionary forces, but some instincts cannot be over-ridden. Women will seek a partner that offers security of some sort. The combination of nature and nurture will determine how the need for security is manifested. Money can mean security to some, a big fat tummy to cuddle into may mean it to others. Vive la difference!

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by shamhat

actually some really interesting studies have been done which suggest women pick preferred males based on finger length, skin clearness (easy sign of illness, malnutrition, etc - animals such as rats have shown a strong aversion to mating with partners with any form of skin problems) - so much of the biology of romance is biochemical, smell is a vital factor but also tellingly many have suggested that it's bad smells which 'turn off' most women rather than good smells which attract them, although covering up or removing certain smells have resulted in otherwise interested women losing interest - but again these things are very, very hard to study to due the complexity of the situations.

In short it does appear that looking good will, surprise surprise help attract a mate - more interestingly though women also report much lower levels of depression, anxiety and stress while their partner looks good - tests in which someones skin was 'blotched' to mimic illness caused a large increase in reported 'negative feelings' but to what extent this is psychological and to what extent physiological is hard to determine. It's not just the partner who gets the benefit, people who feel confident in their looks tend to outperform less confident people in almost all areas -beside of course maths, physics and IT

It could really be the case, look good - feel good - do good.

but then as said, i go for the rugged hard working look myself - although after i've been up all night loading lorries and playing with scaff i do like a good soak in the tub with some softly scented bath salts, hehe i read a bit of poetry too while i'm their, keats or browning maybe - oh yes that's right those classic old dandies, the good ol' days when men were men and women were domestic servants.

I wonder if you folk you keep harking back to times of yaw know that through out history all of the most famous people in British history wore makeup? Those kings in there courts? The Parliament? Samuel Peeps? Shakespear? yep. mostly because they were so ravaged with pot holes from various childhood poxes of course, but still they COVERED themselves in foundation and blusher and wigs and everything....

men have never been MEN, it's just an idealized fantasy created most likely for homoerotic fiction (i'm talking of closet erotic of course, i think they call it high art in some circles....)

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
So what yall are saying is, its weird that i like to put on lipstick, eyeliner, a pushup bra, spike heels and a skirt? HEY! I LIKE TO FEEL PRETTY TOO!

Mmm. ok. thats a bad visual. 40+ blonde, blue 5'7 and solid 200# in a skirt. That cured my appetite!

Nah, its not a bad thing to use face lotion or hand lotion if your outside a lot. Corn huskers is what I live and breath by for my hands! Olay keeps my face from hurting (not that it keeps it from hurting anyone else)!

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
As a woman, I find it a huge turnoff if a man does not take care of himself and does not have some pride in his appearance. Its not just about the dating world either. Appearance is important for all areas of life, including employment.

I love manly men....not wimpy men. And all the manly men I know take care of themselves, care about their appearance and even buy male products. *gasp* Im not talking about walking Ken dolls either
A real man should be versatile. Can get dirty working outside, or camping - but should be able to clean up, smell nice and dress great. There is a time and place for everything - including how you physically present yourself. And im really sorry that anyone has issues with that.

I honestly think a great personality and humour is the most important features for a man to have - but if he stinks and cant clean up - its reeeealy hard to get past that.

And many of those male "beauty" products are not the same as woman. You aren't finding male eyeliner and mascara. Why would a man want to have skin issues or smell stinky? Whats wrong with putting some product in your hair to mange it? Why would a man want toiletries that smell like women? Now they have products that smell like men and help with a variety of issues that men face.

Does it really make him less manly to want to be clean and presentable? Absolutely NOT!

Great lines for men (oh yes I am!!)

www.clinique.com...
www.burtsbees.com...
www.thebodyshop-usa.com...

After reading this thread - I feel like men now have it just as bad as us women. Obviously cant please everyone. *shrug*

[edit on November 15th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
My best friend is exactly like this, fake tan, ultra white teeth, facial cream, hair dye

He knows what I think about it, but he's into that and girls like it, they honestly do, i'm shocked there are so many girls on here saying they don't
I wish you lived near me
girls love that look where I am.

I do use nivea moisturizer and L'Oreal Skin Renovator though, I get dry and rough skin on my face so it helps.

Apart from that I'm all man
by my standards anyway

[edit on 15-11-2009 by valiant]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Dear men,
Now I am only one woman and perhaps not all woman share my opinion, but I want a man who is a MAN! I'm a sucker for the rugged look. I don't want a man who has softer skin than me, who gives more though on which shampoo to use and is cleaner than I am, or plucks his eyebrows. It detracts from my own femininity. With out getting to sexual her, and man with working man hands is well more, um ya know, feels better. BTW on another forum go to of all women we all finally admitted that the smell of a man working in yard all day is a secret turn on, man sweat and all, in comparison to the smell of made for man styling products and colognes.
So please I am begging you for the sake us women out there, leave the beauty products to us, we like you men just the way you are.
Sincerely,
A woman

I totally agree! I can't imagine ever being attracted to some froo-froo guy with plucked eyebrows and mushy soft hands, doused in overpowering aftershave. Give me a man that's not afraid of hard work and workin' up a sweat. Thank goodness I live in the country where the men are not girly men.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by valiant

you make a very good point, women always say they don't like it yet go into any club and see the women flock around the pretty boys - men would never say they don't like, er.... how can i put this.... girls who dress in fairly revealing outfits and are liberal with their romantic endeavors - however should such an attired young lady turn up everyone acts strangely like they're rather interested.

The biological effects of some very subtle things, hormonal levels in the womb for example and the effect they have of certain areas of physical development (we're talking ring finger to index finger length ratio here, i hope thats the first thing you thought of) on female's choice of males is actually really astonishing in the lab, women will think that they prefer one thing but in fact choose based on other factors - hehe science once again discovering what everyone always knew!

personally i don't care what the women think, this is my body and i..... HAHAHAHAHAHA yeah right!

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

Lol where have you been? This has been going on for years! The past 10 years have been the worst in my view.

I would say this, men should be clean and not fat but beyond that surely there is no need to go nuts? I'm a guy, i eat well to be healthy which as a side effect keeps me trim, i wash, brush the teeth and to be perfectly honest i don't see how a woman could demand more in the grooming department.

I wouldn't demand any more of a woman, if they want to choose to do more that's up to them. The emasculation of men i think is causing some confusion in society and making things a little unstable between the sexes, well more unstable than usual
I swear people like Germaine Greer have a pair of hedge trimmer ready for when it's finally declared that men are unecessary and she'll go nuts castrating us all. She even declared in one article that men truly were useless and were no longer needed for the continuation of the species after they fertilised an egg without using sperm.

I'm not saying all us men need to be beer guzzling, axe wielding, farting, cave men but keeping some of what makes us men intact is rather important. We should have it the same way women do, we should be able to choose to be the "traditional" man, tough, strong but esentially good natured or the moisturised, fashion following, whiney little meterosexual.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
As a woman, I find it a huge turnoff if a man does not take care of himself and does not have some pride in his appearance. Its not just about the dating world either. Appearance is important for all areas of life, including employment.

I love manly men....not wimpy men. And all the manly men I know take care of themselves, care about their appearance and even buy male products. *gasp* Im not talking about walking Ken dolls either
A real man should be versatile. Can get dirty working outside, or camping - but should be able to clean up, smell nice and dress great. There is a time and place for everything - including how you physically present yourself. And im really sorry that anyone has issues with that.

What do you consider taking care of yourself? Are we talking manicures and plenty of moisturiser or just being clean? I think this is a big problem in society. Women like yourself are demanding men to be everything, to have the entire package, to be strong and tough but sensitive, to be well groomed, plenty of moisturiser but able to protect you in a fight. Now turn that around and lets ask a woman to be everything a guy wants. In a few seconds any guy asking that will be considered a sexist. Interesting it only works one way.

Does it really make him less manly to want to be clean and presentable? Absolutely NOT!

I don't know which men you hang around with but whenever i'm around them they all seem to have cleaned up, are shaven or have well groomed beards, don't smell and are perfectly presentable. It's been this way for years and yet only now are we being told we're just not clean enough.

Why are you buying into this nonsense which is designed solely to make more money for large companies? Why are you supporting something which will more certainly lead to people feeling awful about their bodies? Why if as a women you feel pressured to look good would you want to enforce the same thing on men? The "well it's bad for us now you feel the same way" attitude is hardly mature.

After reading this thread - I feel like men now have it just as bad as us women. Obviously cant please everyone. *shrug*

It is women who decide to make the effort to go nuts on their appearance to make themselves feel good and that is because they've swallowed to much of the stupid magazine nonsense. It's nothing to do with looking good for their partner, it's all ego.

As a final note i'll say this. The women who think they have it hard trying to stay slim and then demand men have Brad Pitt bodies have no clue about genetics or basic exercise principles. Not getting fat is easy, eat right and exercise maybe 3-4 times a week. However trying to pile on muscle is far, far harder.

To look like one of those hollywood stars you need either fantastic genetics, 2 hours a day in the gym or preferably both of these. Building muscle is far harder than just staying slim and i speak as someone who used to be pretty well muscled. Not a full bodybuilder body, more of a large gymnast body as it better suited my martial arts practice.

Anyway the demand for men to have these incredible bodies has lead to major increases in the use of steroids and growth hormones. This is the only possible way that many men could ever get those bodies and they are damaging themselves rather horribly.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I think that this entire "Metrosexual" thing is getting quite carried away indeed. I for one have always used moisturizer cream, or gelled and combed my hair, and yes, I use cologne or after-shave every so often, and body wash (If Soap is more readily available for whatever reason though, I have no problem with it. I simply prefer the wash because some soaps are too drying).

However, I never shape my eyebrows, or wax, or do any of that garbage. I also most certainly do not believe in shaving like a woman does (Which is typically EVERYWHERE lol, and I do not mean that in a perverse fashion). I have a scar here or there as well from any number of physical incidents (No, not bar fights), but I am actually proud of them.

I think some of my sense of being a young man comes from the women in my family. Neither my mother nor my sister have ever been attracted to the perfect (Now termed "Metrosexual"), unscathed type of guy. Mind you that my sis is often considered beautiful on a model level, and you know where she gets that from. I've had plenty of ladies on my arms in high school and recently, and yet I've never been nor even attempted to primp myself one pluck short of a flow blown fruit cake.

I hope I don't offend anyone though, because "each to their own" is what I believe!

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

And many of those male "beauty" products are not the same as woman. You aren't finding male eyeliner and mascara.

No, ours have added "Turbo Boosters"

I believe men over here are starting to wear eyeliner but I guess it is harder to gender type that, unless it comes with a glove to keep the limp wrists straight for application

As someone else stated the marketeers have been at this for years, conditioning society to accept their norms takes a long time. They are also after the pocket money of the 10-16 age group as well.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I agree balance is the key.

Having said that I must add... "My eyebrows ain't plucked... there's a gun in my truck. Thank god I'm still a guy..." =-)

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Modern Mooman Diary Day 2

Christ what a nightmare, my gut is screaming after 4 sit ups and hurt too bad to do any push ups.

Tights and make up are a real nightmare for a single bloke without aid, my bottom half looks like one of those pin cushion things that the kids made at school and my head is only missing Gene Simmons tongue.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Women like yourself are demanding men to be everything, to have the entire package, to be strong and tough but sensitive, to be well groomed, plenty of moisturiser but able to protect you in a fight. Now turn that around and lets ask a woman to be everything a guy wants. In a few seconds any guy asking that will be considered a sexist. Interesting it only works one way.

Good post imaginary but I think the problem is that women are conditioned into what they think want from a man. The constant stream of images in the MSM sees to this. The marketeers have invented their 'ideal' man whos appearance and impossibly good character traits are just out of reach for the majority of men. I prefer slimmer women but I'm not sure if that is inherant or a sign that my mind has been tampered with too.

Every man I have asked, including myself, prefers women with little or no make-up. Women dont seem to get this though, for a couple of reasons; they see that men will give attention to the 'tarty' types. Men give these women attention because their makeup and attire makes them think that they are going to be easy. The men, however, only want to sleep with these women, they don't want them to give birth to their children. Also, most women report that getting 'dressed up' makes them feel more attractive, which in turn probably makes them more attractive

In females make-up is designed to mimick sexual response - wide eyes, dilated pupils, flushed cheeks and lips. In men the sexual response is less visible and more likely to be a sort of 'fwoar' grimace.

[edit on 16/11/2009 by LightFantastic]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Metrosexuality is another divide and conquer (DnC) technique executed by TPTB. Just as Women's Liberation made the other 50% of the population income taxable, metrosexuality makes the other 50% of the population cosmetic goods taxable. (I realise that men have been using cosmetic products for decades. But there has never been a time in history where it has been so actively encouraged and deemed more trendy and socially acceptable for men to spend hundreds/thousands on cosmetic products).

TPTB are good at finding smart ways to tax people. Do you think they support the Gay Rights movement because they believe in equal rights? With Gay marriage beginning to be recognised legally and politically, what do you think that means? More tax, more money. The truth is very painful at times and this is no exception. An added bonus? These issues deeply divide people and result in higher levels of pessimism and distrust for our fellow man.

The darker agenda is the slow disintegration of men and what defines man. In a few years from now, men being men will be socially unacceptable. The moral and social fabrics of society will weaken and the West will be much more vulnerable to occupation from foreign rule. Combine that with political correctness, an unrestrained assault on Christianity, mass immigration, inter-racial mixing and what do you have? Is this just all coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt that very much...

Am I racist racist? No, you are just anti-white. Homophobic? No, you are just heterophobic. Religiously intolerant? No, you are just anti-Christian. Sexist? No, you are just anti-male.

I know there are plenty out there who see this as well. Don't be afraid to speak out and call a slowly-approaching meteoroid exactly what it is! Silence and apathy will only hasten the likelihood of these awful things from taking place.

[edit on 16/11/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
nevermind.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by Raverous]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The reversal of the gender roles, including the emasculation of males in society, has been in the works for years. Seeing the beauty products industry going after males is not shocking.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join