It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beauty Industry - Starting on Men Now!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
reply to post by shamhat

This is applicable to most higher mammals. We don't select our mates along those lines anymore, but taking the examples of lions and apes perhaps, it is the skill in the fight and general stamina, that ensures receptive females. And age of course.

I'm curious,(serious and polite Mods note) why is it do you think really gorgeous women hang in with ugly looking blokes, I seem to see quite a few of them about.

I sometimes wonder, "what the hell does she see in lardman there ?" (no offence I'm no stick insect) women seem to be some dorkey choices leaving one baffled and concluding the dude must be hung like a baboon can be the only explanation.

You need to learn the timeless art of seduction, looks means squat when it really comes down to it. Women are more turned on by the other senses than looks.
I myself am an average looking guy, but I wouldn't be getting with any women if I didn't know which buttons to press.

I try to uphold an aura of mystery and romance, never fails to intrigue women.. though, I probably am mysterious, what with all my secrets and all the weirdness I have going on.

Also, some woman just love "deep" and sensitive guys, and this is your lucky day because being "deep" in this day and age is not that hard, seeing as people are just shallow copies of one another.

You have to be hard to define, get in their head and stay there, make them ponder what you really want, give mixed signals.
Tease them and love them.. keep them wondering.
Cause once you're in their head and they're trying to "figure you out", you've already won(well, both of you have won).
Women overthink and overanalyze their feelings, use that.

I realize that I sound like a cold calculating manipulator, but I don't agree.
This is the game, the dance, the chase.
You have to play these silly games, it's the mating dance, with it's own rules and boundaries.

"What is a bad boy? He's a rebel without a cause, a cool dude in a motorcycle jacket, a real life Huckleberry Finn who wants to take you on a wild river ride to adventure.
He's wounded, moody, misunderstood, a dreamer, a seducer, a daredevil.
He is a man of mystery and a fascinating paradox. He's both a lost little boy and a man with a dark side. He breaks your heart with his wicked ways, but whether he's a wanton wolf or a dangerous desperado, he makes you long to rescue him from his pain.
He's hurtful cruel, or simply careless and self-absorbed, but you can't resist jumping on his motorcycle and roaring off into the steamy night with him.
And once you've given him your heart forever... he's gone with the wind!
He's someone who sets off throbbing and aggressive passions within you.
Because he's aloof and elusive, you get caught up in the challenge and excitement of the chase-though he's not always someone you'd want even if you did capture him.
A bad boy may tell you he's generally right.
He's a frog you hope to turn into a fairy-tale with the magic of your kiss..."

You must have heard about the "seduction community" by now?
I personally find it a little cheesy and dorky(canned lines and "peacocking") but the concepts and things they're talking about is really accurate.
After reading through a bit of seduction material I now understand attraction and seduction much better.
Before, I could get girls.. but I would never know why or how really, now I know what works, and what doesn't.

Oh, just realized I just wrote a wall of text.. that is pretty much off topic..

Sorry mods, I will take my chances and post it though, too much time went into it to delete it!

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

I would find that hard to follow through myself, sounds too much like playing games and i'm not really good at that.

I'm more of a ''here I am, this is me'' sort of person, that's not to say I don't have any mystery about me, I just couldn't play on it personally.

See where you're coming from though, i've seen it with my own eyes

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by valiant
He knows what I think about it, but he's into that and girls like it, they honestly do, i'm shocked there are so many girls on here saying they don't
I wish you lived near me
girls love that look where I am.

Some women like it, just as some men like their women that way too. Horses for courses. Take Posh and Becks for example (and I really wish someone would), I am sure they love the way the other looks, but really, can you imagine how excruitiatingly dull it would be to spend an evening in their company. Anyone, man or woman, who spends that much time in front of the mirror, is not going to be the most stimulating of company if you yourself have more than two brain cells to rub together. Which is great if you seek superficial or solely physical relationships. If you're looking for someone that you can have a conversation with, that doesn't involve discussing styling products, or who doesn't view you as an accessory to match their look, it is unlikely to be the person with the great hair and Tango'd tan.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by valiant
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

I would find that hard to follow through myself, sounds too much like playing games and i'm not really good at that.

I'm more of a ''here I am, this is me'' sort of person, that's not to say I don't have any mystery about me, I just couldn't play on it personally.

See where you're coming from though, i've seen it with my own eyes

I feel what you're saying, and don't get me wrong, I'm far from the player type. When I go after girls, it's for company and because I wanna know them and be with them. I find sex without love kind of pointless, I'm a romantic.
Me being "mysterious" is probably just me having intimacy issues, making me a frog that have to be saved..

It's not really about changing yourself and pretending to be someone you're not though, I haven't changed myself, I've just learned how to use what I already have.
I guess you could say I optimize myself.
You don't have to fit some kind of ideal box to use the material, be you.
You just have the knowledge to see it all in a new perspective, and it's powerful.

I still think that there's a whole lot to learn from the material even if you're not "that type".. everything from body language to scientific observations, everybody should give it a chance(girls too). You most likely will learn something of value.

It just irks me when guys always think the ugly guys with hot girls have to be rich, when most likely he's probably just a charming fella.
I think it's feeding a negative idea about relationships..
Just like all these magazines and trends, militant feminism etc.
The message from society seems to be: Money is God.

Once again I'm sorry for being OT, this is getting ridiculous.. so I'll just sneak away now..

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sacrosanct
No... It won't me called "mascara"... it shall be dubbed "Mancara" with a ", dude!" added at the end for added masculinity.

"Yo, lets go to the bathroom and apply some Mancara, dude!"

I heard the term "guyliner" today

[edit on 17/11/2009 by LightFantastic]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I think it started quite a while back imo. Many people say this generation are far more vain than the previous regarding looks, but i disagree. I think alot of people are unhappy because of all the media attention regarding looks and therefore groom night and day, have more potions,oils and creams in their bathroom than a witches cupboard. Given all the time they spend adjusting and modifying their looks with that of the celebrities. Yet in their eyes never matching up...no wonder we have a prominent ssri culture with everyone feeling ugly and depressed. In the social/age groups im usually about looks are the be all and end all,whether you are male or female. Couple that with being loud,obnoxious and the center of attention and whichever sex you happen to be you will be more attractive. I really need to find new social circles as im none of the above!

[edit on 17-11-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This thread has really gotten me down. Mainly because people are falling into this stupid idea of beauty that doesn't exist or exists in about 1% of the population who spend their entire lives trying to look their absolute best, who have professionals doing their hair, makeup and even then they are photoshopped to look even more perfect.

For god sake be happy with what you have! Ok fine i'll agree that being basically clean is something everyone should be able to manage but beyond that it's just ridiculous. I hate makeup for a start because i think it's just lying to everyone. Your face tells a story of who you are, why cover it up?

I have numerous scars, at 24 i actually have forehead wrinkles (i think way to much) and as i age i'll no doubt get more and more wrinkles until i look like a prune that's been left in the sun to long and you know what? I'll be happy like that.

People would be so much happier if they didn't buy into all this rubbish from magazines, women and men wouldn't be anorexic, men wouldn't be pumping themselves full of dangerous steroids and growth hormones, teenage girls wouldn't hate their bodies so much that they commit suicide.

As a final note i'll leave you with this video. I know this thread was about men but i think this still applies, it's from a Dove commercial and shows why our idea of beauty is absolutely out of touch with reality.

Ladies put away the magazines, embrace your curves and give men some credit because quite simply we deserve a little more than is being seen in this thread.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

For god sake be happy with what you have! Ok fine i'll agree that being basically clean is something everyone should be able to manage but beyond that it's just ridiculous. I hate makeup for a start because i think it's just lying to everyone. Your face tells a story of who you are, why cover it up?

Excellent post and video IR1984! Right on the nail for me.

I used to think the majority of the population are stupid but now I can see how the marketeers slowly turn the screws. People don't notice the gradual instilling of their "norm".

Of course there are some intelligent and confident enough not to care but I am sure even they feel some pressure from the societal norm.

It is interesting that the Unilever has products with polar opposite advertising - Dove and Lynx for example.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I think your view is correct, bu too simplistic. It has already burrowed itself into our society. Simply saying don't care what the media or celebrities tell you will not work for a large majority of people in the slightest. It already is the norm and to remedy it will take some time and a push from all sectors of society. I thought my age group was bad( 20's) but the up and coming boys/girls that are just hitting their teens are far worse when it comes to trying to conform to what deems someone worthy in regards to appearance,weight etc especially considering their age.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Wow ! never seen that video before, makes me wonder why advertiser use real women at all.
Great post, nice read

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

I don't believe in the over glamorization of men, however, I do believe that men should put effort into their appearance as well. Why should we expect women to look pretty when we can get off looking like a slob, while society (used to) say it's okay? I know that women don't look at men in the same way that men look at women, however, I do believe women value looks as well. Society does put an emphasis looks, which is unfortunate, but men and women both need to take care of themselves.

Many men in their twenties complain they can't get a female to look at them, but maybe consider what you are wearing and what you look like. If your hair is greasy, over half your wardrobe is from wal-mart, and you don't care what you look like, sure women are not going to pay attention to you. The sad fact is most men wouldn't pay attention to a women dressed that way.

I believe the male fashion industry is as important as womens. Now, we don't get the "advantage" of wearing makeup, but I believe that there is a lack of fashionable men in today's normal (not Hollywood) culture. The typical man dresses like he is going to paint the house. This should not be the case. Take a look at Japan. The men there are just as fashionable -if not more- than the women. I envy their style.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
I don't believe in the over glamorization of men, however, I do believe that men should put effort into their appearance as well. Why should we expect women to look pretty when we can get off looking like a slob, while society (used to) say it's okay? I know that women don't look at men in the same way that men look at women, however, I do believe women value looks as well. Society does put an emphasis looks, which is unfortunate, but men and women both need to take care of themselves.

Firstly don't speak for all men, not all of us are shallow and expect women to look pretty, some of us are after that thing called personality. Second women now do see men exactly as men see women. The magazines like it that way as they can sell more and so can the cosmetics companies. All this has lead to is eating disorders, depression and abuse of steroids. Yet here you are promoting the idea that men should go further in taking care of themselves.

I don't know how you look after yourself but most men shave daily, clean up, cut the nails, brush the teeth, make the hair look relatively presentable, i mean seriously should people ask any more?

Many men in their twenties complain they can't get a female to look at them, but maybe consider what you are wearing and what you look like. If your hair is greasy, over half your wardrobe is from wal-mart, and you don't care what you look like, sure women are not going to pay attention to you. The sad fact is most men wouldn't pay attention to a women dressed that way.

This is the biggest load of rubbish i've ever read. Many men? For a start what is wrong with walmart? I don't shop there for clothes but so what if someone did? What if they don't have the money for designer labels or, shock horror, what if they think labels are a waste of time, shallow and pathetic people look at them. Most people don't seem to have greasy hair, maybe you live somewhere where standards are rather down i'm not sure.

I believe the male fashion industry is as important as womens. Now, we don't get the "advantage" of wearing makeup, but I believe that there is a lack of fashionable men in today's normal (not Hollywood) culture. The typical man dresses like he is going to paint the house. This should not be the case. Take a look at Japan. The men there are just as fashionable -if not more- than the women. I envy their style.

The typical man dresses nothing like he's going to paint the house, have you ever painted a house? I mean seriously the average guy doesn't seem that bad. Wears jeans and a t shirt, damn that's awful huh, how dare he be comfortable in his clothes and secure in himself. Look there are times to dress up really nicely with expensive suits and clothes but day to day it just seems pathetic. Obsessing over looks and labels has lead to so much depression and you are happily furthering that.

Step away from the fancy clothes and realise that there are far more important things in life. If someone won't date you because your clothes aren't top notch labels then that person is an utter scumbag, male or female.

It's not hard to get a decent woman, even dressed in jeans and a t shirt, or a casual shirt, or here in England at this time of year a decent jumper lol.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
This thread has really gotten me down. Mainly because people are falling into this stupid idea of beauty that doesn't exist or exists in about 1% of the population who spend their entire lives trying to look their absolute best, who have professionals doing their hair, makeup and even then they are photoshopped to look even more perfect.

I have numerous scars, at 24 i actually have forehead wrinkles (i think way to much) and as i age i'll no doubt get more and more wrinkles until i look like a prune that's been left in the sun to long and you know what? I'll be happy like that.

People would be so much happier if they didn't buy into all this rubbish from magazines, women and men wouldn't be anorexic, men wouldn't be pumping themselves full of dangerous steroids and growth hormones, teenage girls wouldn't hate their bodies so much that they commit suicide.

As a final note i'll leave you with this video. I know this thread was about men but i think this still applies, it's from a Dove commercial and shows why our idea of beauty is absolutely out of touch with reality.

Ladies put away the magazines, embrace your curves and give men some credit because quite simply we deserve a little more than is being seen in this thread.

Thanks for bringing us this video. I hope everyone here with girls brought them in to see it. My little red headed tween loves this commercial for all the right reasons. She likes nail polish and a little bit of make up (she understands at her age, too much makes her perv bait-its a trial being a daddy with a girl)

She asked "Daddy, why are they doing that to her? She's not ugly." From the mouths of children.

I guess mama and me got something right, huh? A self-confident, nationalistic, fiery red head that speaks her mind! I am so proud of my baby girl!

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
She asked "Daddy, why are they doing that to her? She's not ugly." From the mouths of children.

Children have the sometimes annoying habit of speaking the truth don't they? This is usually their opinion before the brainwashing and peer pressure takes control. It sounds like your daughter might see through it.

It is very common for young girls in the UK to want to be like one of our 'glamour models' called 'Jordan' when they 'gow up'. She has made untold millions and become the most wanted celebrity by, as her husband put it, 'lifting up her top in nightclubs'. What a sorry state our society has become.

[edit on 28/11/2009 by LightFantastic]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

Jordan, don't get me started on that woman. Feminists have the nerve to hold her up as an icon as she earns plenty and does as she likes and yet i really think they miss the point. She is famous for exposing her body, that's it. Not famous for being intelligent, writing anything important or even being a good actress. No she can get famous by flashing her assets that were genetically given to her (or surgically enhanced). She has not earned anything. A pathetic waste of life.

You are of course correct. With role models like that how can anyone expect more from young children when they are pumped full of television telling them to just be pretty to be famous. Men now also have similar role models. If you don't have that graet body then you won't get the girl.

It's really rather sad to see so many guys breaking their backs to get that body, which in all truth they will never get unless they're genetically gifted and even worse to see men and women turning each other down because they don't have those perfect bodies.

I hope things will change and people will just be glad of who and what they are but i think we've reached a point where it won't change. I speak as someone who has the kind of body most men would kill for, i say that not to show off, only to say i'm not some fat, jelous guy trying to make myself feel better by making out that looks aren't important.

That Dove advert i posted above is only the tip of the iceberg. The mens magazines are just as guilty, photoshopping men to increase their size and masively define their abs and chest to make them superhuman. I state again that only a few percent of men are genetically capable of attaining the Michalangelos David body. Oh and this doesn't mean these men are necessarily a better genetic mate. I remember seeing guys in the gym that looked amazing but when challenged to functional strength tests they were pathetic.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join