It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extortion-? Catholic Church gives D.C. ultimatum.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I don't care if you believe in god, how many gods you believe in, which specific brand of religious dogma you subscribe to or how you practice your faith, but the minute you begin to take hostages, it's time for you to be shut down all together.

The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law, a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church helps with adoption, homelessness and health care.

Keep in mind that this is an institution which enjoys tax-exempt status within the united states, which would normally involve hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue. This tax-exemption is not in place because they're a bunch of nice-guys, it's in place because the government feels that the monies and services provided through charities, is money better spent, directly to the poor and needy.

I believe that the minute your tax-exempt entity begins to involve itself directly in government, it should lose it's tax exempt status. Sort of a "stay in your lane" type of logic.

Source

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhetoric

I believe that the minute your tax-exempt entity begins to involve itself directly in government, it should lose it's tax exempt status. Sort of a "stay in your lane" type of logic.

Agreed. This is another prime example to point at when people talk about how screwed up the Catholic church really is.

Granted it's not alone...but my god does it have some major...SERIOUS issues.

I say you pull its tax exempt status anyways. It's not like they can't afford it like the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I am pretty much anti catholic But I feel that they have a right to do what they want with their money.
Pulling support from people that go against their dogma is their right and their duty.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Actually, I am against all organized religion, but this is 100% within their rights and I actually think it is a responsible move on their part.

I believe that marriage is between one human and another human, so that isn't the issue.. the issue is that catholics don't. They feel that they would have to provide "social services" to a union they cannot support. Therefore, if the law passes, they leave. Plain and simple and no ambiguity.

And good riddance to em

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

originally posted by rogerstigers

I believe that marriage is between one human and another human, so that isn't the issue.. the issue is that catholics don't. They feel that they would have to provide "social services" to a union they cannot support. Therefore, if the law passes, they leave. Plain and simple and no ambiguity.

That's not what I have a problem with roger. I'm not advocating that the holy-c acquiesce and start loving homosexuals (although many priests would be happier), my point is that if they refuse to continue providing services because of that political issue, then they should lose they're tax-exempt status.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Live by the Law so shall you die by the Law. Goes for the governments, religions, scientists, and those that think they deny ignorance.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

why should they be required to support that which goes against their teachings?
they should not
i Never thought i would say this but
kudos catholics - that is If they stand their ground on this issue

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Wait, I don't agree because the church is a private entity. If homosexuals and lesbians want to get married, it should be done through the government and not the church.

FYI, If you go after the church for holding hostages then why not go after the Federal Reserve? The church gets tax exemption, the federal reserve sells you your own money with interest.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Equinox99]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I am not seeing the issue here.

It is their monies . . . let them do with it as they please.

It should be the same thing for us mere peons as well.

Why should one pay a school tax if one does not use the school services?

Why should one pay for abortions if one does not believe in abortions?

Why should one pay for the death penalty if one does not support the death penalty?

Edit: Those examples are not necessarily my views . . . just throwing those out there.

[edit on 11/12/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The Catholics don’t receive tax exempt status because they give money to the poor. They are completely within their rights to pull financial support from whatever they want. Religious freedom is not dependent on support efforts provided through community involvement. Maybe we should just pull tax exempt status from every organization that practices what they teach or preach!

[edit on 12-11-2009 by liveandletlive]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
I am not seeing the issue here.

It is their monies . . . let them do with it as they please.

It should be the same thing for us mere peons as well.

Why should one pay a school tax if one does not use the school services?

Why should one pay for abortions if one does not believe in abortions?

Why should one pay for the death penalty if one does not support the death penalty?

Edit: Those examples are not necessarily my views . . . just throwing those out there.

[edit on 11/12/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

Your points represent the reason we have separation of church and state.

edit to add: GOD BLESS TEXAS!!

[edit on 12-11-2009 by liveandletlive]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Religious Tax Exempt Status is not conditional based upon the good works a Religion may or may not do. A Religion being charitable does not grant them Tax Exempt Status, but rather the fact that they are a Religious entity does. They are not mutually exclusive of one another. (After all, when was the last time you heard of the Church of Scientology doing charitable works for their communities?) If the Catholic Church chooses to stop doing charitable works in D.C., then that is entirely their prerogative, although doing such is only going to hurt their already damaged Public Image, sending them back to the Dark Ages.

Religions certainly have the same inalienable Rights to petition and lobby their government just as the next person or corporation does. It is not wrong for them to urge their representatives to ban Same-Sex marriage. They are entitled to their opinion and have the same Constitutional Rights to express that opinion, as well as be heard by their Government.

HOWEVER, where they crossed the line was through the use of Extortion. When you tell someone to "Do what I tell you or else I'll do this" that is Extortion, plain and simple. It puts the Catholic Church at the same emotional development phase as a petulant 3 year old child, and it runs them into that Grey area (and precariously close to the wrong-side) of the Law.

Hopefully the officials in D.C. will tell them to bugger-off...that the Will of the People had been judiciously decided through Popular Vote, and that the Will of the People will not be overridden by the Wants of the Few. This isn't a Catholic Nation. It is a Representational Democratic Republic. Sounds like the Archdiocese needs a friendly reminder of that.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericanDaughter

why should they be required to support that which goes against their teachings?
they should not
i Never thought i would say this but
kudos catholics - that is If they stand their ground on this issue

Exactly.

Are any mosques in the U.S. losing their tax exempt status because they won't tolerate most of the things that many would say are just plain American? Do they also tolerate same-sex unions?

[edit on 11/12/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus

HOWEVER, where they crossed the line was through the use of Extortion. When you tell someone to "Do what I tell you or else I'll do this" that is Extortion, plain and simple.

No fan of the catholic church, or even organized relion for that matter.

That said, the way you worded it sounds like the church is being heavy handed, but is different than how I read it, with the church basically saying "IF you do this then we can't do that". That's a lot different connotation than "do what I tell you or else".

Also, IMO those offering criticism need to get off your high horses and step back to ask yourselves if the people that RECEIVE the aid really care about the politics of this and whether cutting them off to make a political point by either side is the right thing to do?

[edit on 11/12/2009 by centurion1211]

top topics

join