It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BPA - 90 percent of the U.S. population carries detectable levels in the urine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Chemical in plastic bottles linked to impotence

Study: Sexual problems reported by Chinese workers exposed to BPA

NEW YORK - Male factory workers in China who got very high doses of a chemical that's been widely used in hard plastic bottles had high rates of sexual problems, researchers reported Wednesday.

Heavy exposure to BPA, or bisphenol A, on the job was linked to impotence and lower sexual desire and satisfaction, according to the study, which adds to concerns about BPA's effects on most consumers.

BPA is used in a wide variety of consumer products, including some hard plastic bottles and metal food or beverage cans. Several makers of baby bottles recently said they had stopped using the chemical. Some 90 percent of the U.S. population carries detectable levels in the urine.

Scientists are concerned that BPA exposure might harm the reproductive and nervous systems, and possibly promote prostate and breast cancers. Last year, a preliminary study linked BPA to possible risks for heart disease and diabetes.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

90% of the population is pretty scary

And where did they get this figure from also?

What else is in our urine?
I would like to know

How can we get our urine analyzed?

[edit on 11-11-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is actually a very well written thread, I am surprised that it has not gotten any attention.

It would be interesting to be able to do your own urine ananlysis to see what might actually be inside our bodies.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Here's the Abstract(the full text can also be found through the link below):

Occupational exposure to bisphenol-A (BPA) and the risk of Self-Reported Male Sexual Dysfunction

METHODS: We conducted an occupational cohort study to examine the effect of occupational exposure to BPA on the risk of male sexual dysfunction. Current workers from BPA-exposed and control factories were recruited. The exposed workers were exposed to very high BPA levels in their workplace. Male sexual function was ascertained through in-person interviews using a standard male sexual function inventory.

CONCLUSIONS: Our findings provide the first evidence that exposure to BPA in the workplace could have an adverse effect on male sexual dysfunction.

The researchers studied individuals that had high exposure to BPA through contact in the workplace. It's highly unlikely that anyone could possibly be exposed to those amounts found in factories if they're just drinking bottled water.

If you work in a manufacturing plant that deals with forming/cutting plastics, the chances of overexposure to any dangerous chemicals are VERY high. Inhaling plastic as microscopic particles, like sawdust, is a great way to be overexposed.

If you don't work in one, you're probably fine. Although, more research is warranted.

As a side note: This was an observational study that did not measure longterm effects, nor did it test other for other maleffects, such as cancer.

-Dev

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

It's a copy/paste thread. It was a good find, not so much on the "well written."

To the OP, the opening paragraphs should be tagged by news quote tags.

-Dev

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Chemical solvents from emissions, pharmaceuticals from the water supply, pesticides from the food supply, carcinogens from the top soil, and plastics chemicals leached from bottles.

Don't you just love the progress of industry?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

I do agree with you on that
however.... short term effects on that dosage was almost immediate

long term effects, like those we may experience, can also be similar.

also... why haven't they banned BPA yet?????

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Money is being made. No other reason is necessary.

As for everything that pollutes our bodies, I myself try not to eat any and I mean any prepackaged foods. No meat prepared in who the frack knows where-local butcher shop-gets animals from local supplies. Watch the movie Food, Inc. Just came out recently. Covers many things, they kept it shorter to keep it as an introduction to the problems.

Fluoride, mercury, aspartame, chorine, Roundup, formaldyhyde, aluminum, hydrogenated oils, sodium nitrate, GMO's etc etc etc

And soon, it will take a doctor's prescription to get vitamins. See Codex Alimentarius. Soon to go into effect.

I could go on but it would sound like a rant.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Here is the fulltext PDF for the study.

I should say that the resin alternative for dental amalgams, is Bis-GMA, a variation of bisphenol often contaminated with traces of bisphenol-A.

We are trading mercury, a neurotoxic for an endocrine disruptor and infertility contributor in males....

Difficult fight we are dealing with today in a chemistry-ruled world.

Occupational exposure to bisphenol-A (BPA) and the risk of Self-Reported Male Sexual Dysfunction

[edit on 11-11-2009 by jjjtir]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I am looking for some info on this, and hopefully someone here can help. I worked in a plastics factory for about 2 months, and I have some of the symptoms mentioned in the article. I am 27 years old and in good health otherwise. My question is: Are these sexual side effects reversible? Is there anything that can be done to get back to "normal"?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by danielhe

Yes, it's reversible. You must purge the toxins from your body. Most synthetic chemicals can't be detoxed from the liver or kidneys, so the only alternative route is sweat. Sweating daily will improve your symptoms. Best is a dry sauna.

new topics

top topics

join