It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would a non carbon based being glow on Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Theories about ET's being a silicone based or nitrogen based, are really intriguing to me. And it had me thinking on why the cover up.

What would happen if a non-carbon based being walked on Earth? Would anything change about their appearance through our eyes?

What if a non-carbon based being came to Earth, and they glowed? Or possibly seemed transparent?

Would we not think they are an angel?

How about if that non-carbon based being took us aboard their craft and they stopped glowing because they were no longer on Earth but rather in Space?

Is this true about a non carbon based being? Could something in our atmosphere react with their chemistry and chemical compound and make them glow or seem transparent or anything unusual for that matter? Is that possible?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I would advise you to take a chemistry class. But in short no they would not glow as a result of being based off silicon atoms.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by game over man

I bet they would sparkle like the vampires on Twilight!

In all seriousness though, I don't know enough about the science behind such things to know if there would be a reaction, but I'm pretty sure that you're right that they would be called "angels" or heavenly beings or something of the sort. I star you for your thinking! Assuming that such beings would look different than the rest of us and would glow or whatever... well, that could explain many "paranormal" things! You really might have something here!

Hopefully someone with a more scientific background will come along and explains things. You've got me interested.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well just for you to see for yourself. Look into the case of your computer lots of silicone there, are any of the parts (that are not lights) glowing?
Look at some fertilizer lots of nitrogen, is it glowing?

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Zaiger, silicone and nitrogen are examples. Thanks for your input.

Yes the 2 threads I started today are directed towards someone with a strong science background, or anyone who wants to help. Thanks

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
There are life-forms on Earth which glow, none of them are silicon based however.

What you would notice however is that the alien would be constantly coughing up sand, since just as the waste product of respiration in carbon based lifeforms is carbon dioxide in silicon based lifeforms it is silicon dioxide (sand).

Originally posted by zaiger
Look into the case of your computer lots of silicone there

Computer chips contain silicon, not silicone.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sonicology

silicone is made from silicon. The point was is that they do not glow.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Well the problem is the way these atoms need to bond, carbon being able to bond to carbon it is able to form long complex molecules. While other things can form complex molecules they are not as strong as carbon bonds and they theories of other-based life forms begins to break down when you start to look at what kind of atmosphere it would require what it's diet and waste would be. Phosphorus can glow however that glow is produced when it reacts with oxygen and forms HPO and P2O2, but if a being was made out of that it would evaporate.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

Well the problem is the way these atoms need to bond, carbon being able to bond to carbon it is able to form long complex molecules. While other things can form complex molecules they are not as strong as carbon bonds and they theories of other-based life forms begins to break down when you start to look at what kind of atmosphere it would require what it's diet and waste would be. Phosphorus can glow however that glow is produced when it reacts with oxygen and forms HPO and P2O2, but if a being was made out of that it would evaporate.

Are you saying that only a carbon based life forms could walk freely on Earth? And only life that comes from a planet with the same breathable atmosphere could walk around without a helmet/gas mask of some sort?

Yes, and I agree I need to revisit my chemistry.

I'll ask again, is it possible for a being from another planet to come to Earth, and appear as if they are glowing, transparent, or anything unusual due to a chemical reaction with their chemical/molecular makeup and our atmosphere? Consider if their planet has a different air density, and/or atmospheric pressure and thickness.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Probably not i mean raium glows but that is not a life building element, it is quite the opposite. The only thing i could think of as far as appearing to be glowing would be from bioluminescence, that is what fire flys do.

new topics

top topics

join