It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A fun way to improve your English - AND feed the hungry

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I originally wanted to post this in the "There grammers pothetic" (makes me smile every time
)
thread.

But I think the following website and everything it offers really should be posted as visibly as possible to be of best use to as many as possible.

FREE RICE

(You get a word right - and somebody in dire need of food gets 10 grains of rice.)

I know many people here probably know it and use it already.

But some may not be aware that a while ago Free Rice introduced a relatively wide array of other subjects, too. You'll find them under "Subjects" (duh).
And one of those subjects is English grammar.

(My personal favourite, apart from the main subject, is Geography.)

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Here's an idea for those who have a competitive streak in them: how about posting your scores?

This way we can keep this thread alive and visible, for the greater of good of all.

P.S.

I am NOT fishing for flags or stars here.
I have little use for them (although I certainly appreciate the intent).

What I would like to see is people actually using this wonderful opportunity that the internet offers.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Im so sick of this world where you see governments spend billions on their armies while people who dont have food have to beg private citizens for grains of rice on the Internet...

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think i saw this game and link to it before?

Anyway - for the cause, 300 grains level 43. But a lot of guessing!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
I am NOT fishing for flags or stars here.
I have little use for them (although I certainly appreciate the intent).

Flags is essential in order to get this topic some attention and therefore more rice will be donated.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Grammar report:
300 rice level 2. Yikes.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

So go back and try again!

It's a good thing you've done: for yourself AND for others.

P.S. If you stick around long enough, you'll see that after four or five words the word that you didn't get right is repeated - so you really LEARN.
That's what's so fantastic about it.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

I know, I know...

But still, just keeping the thread alive - flags or no flags (even the most-flagged threads dwindle after a while) - should do the trick. :-)

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Geography - 300 grains and level 5. But i cheated, got National Geographic map hanging in front of me.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Oh well - I suppose that says you're a kind soul...

Still, it felt so good when after many, many - MANY - tries I finally got at least some of the African countries right...

I dare not go there tonight: it's so addictive I might end up spending HOURS there... again.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Does no one think this game is a tad sadistic? Why not just send rice and stop trivializing hunger with a can you spell game? can't spell? well some poor little bugger may starve...oh well. Or maybe im looking too much into it as usual.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Why doesn't the UN just give it's rice away rather than having people play games so that others can eat?

Seems rather cruel to me.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I am positive that the purpose is to raise awareness to the problem more then to count grains. You really think that even in such ultimate beurocratic heaven as UN somebody is getting paid to count grains of rice in shipments to Africa?
There is a yearly budget for this , and it will be shipped according to preset budget, no more and no less. But awareness will help with getting more funds for this cut of budget in a long run, for sure.
So in a way people who are exposed to it and play these "cruel"
games do influence how much help will be allocated to this program.
P.S. -excuse my grammar. Literally.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I thought it would be something like that, i was taking the website too literally it seems.
Oh well,now i can play with a clear conscience and not feel ashamed if i fail.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think the sponsors donate money equivalent to 10 grains of rice per correct answer. The website allows the sponsors adds to be displayed (most likely for free) under the stipulation that the sponsor will pay so much per correct answer. In the end, the sponsors get advertising, and the website collects money to buy rice. Please forgive me if I'm incorrect, it is just my interpretation of the process.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Actually, there is banner on the site that seems to indicate the count really does count.

But of course, raising awareness can't be bad.

As for it being "cruel"... Miraj - please.

It's one of the best - perhaps THE best - way to actually encourage learning (which, don't forget, is also a major factor in matters of poverty and therefore hunger).

And it's FUN!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lumpyloaf

No, you're correct.
While I was writing about this, you went and explained it, fast and well.

There are private sponsors, so, yes, the count does count.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Does no one think this game is a tad sadistic? Why not just send rice and stop trivializing hunger with a can you spell game? can't spell? well some poor little bugger may starve...oh well. Or maybe im looking too much into it as usual.

If you can't spell, go on clicking - and four or five words later, the same word will appear again.
There are good chances this time around you WILL know how to spell it, because you've remembered it.

End result: some poor bugger will get the rice - and you will have improved YOUR life.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
By the way, did you know that, apart from English and geography (and other subjects), you can also test your knowledge of FAMOUS PAINTINGS?

It's great.
And the quality of the images is surprisingly good.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Lol, my brain is spinning.......
Great site, Vanitas! Thanks! Excellent cause and the old muscle needs a workout like this.

Level 44
380 grains of rice

I'll make it a favorite and give it a go every day and try to improve the score.

STM

[edit on 10/27/2009 by seentoomuch]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join