A fun way to improve your English - AND feed the hungry

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

THANK YOU!
I mean, that is the best one could hope for: people bookmarking it.

(I even mentioned it on my profile - but who reads profiles? :-))

But yes, it definitely makes the head spin... I've just spent (another) half an hour there, going through the pictures (I'm going to put some of my favorites in a special folder here)... Luckily, a friend called, or I would have stayed glued to the screen.
It wouldn't have been the first time.
(Or the second.
)

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
OK, I am done for tonight...
I have been going through the pictures.
(I wish they were a bit less repetitive - but I suppose that's perfect for those who want to LEARN.)

Another twenty minutes, and I would have started developing a second pair of eyes...

Oh, and of course - my score:

You have now donated
7370 grains of rice.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Wow, Vanitas! I noticed you left out your level, lol, I totally understand.

This site is addictive, I love the way it teaches you if you miss a word and when you're on a roll the score starts rising again. I have learned (relearned) so many words. From now on i'll bring it up on a separate window and leave it on the side for the slow moments on the board.

I can't help but wonder with each additional ten grains how many grains are in a cup and how many I need to gather to feed a family of four for a decent meal? After a moment or two of wondering I figure the more the better and I keep going.

I'll update every day AND i'll see you ten grains,

Any other takers?

STM

[edit on 10/27/2009 by seentoomuch]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I'll update every day AND i'll see you ten grains

Try this - my NEW score:

You have donated 10000 grains of rice.
Wow! Now THAT is impressive!

More ways to fight hunger »

Naturally, I resumed where I had left off, only changed the subject to geography. :-)

THANK YOU again.
And do come back to boast - PLEASE!

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Hah! Still no level! Lol!

And boast, you betcha! My lightly used brain is being pushed to its limits! I'll take any score over zero knowing that I'll be feeding people in dire straits (which is the main point here) and then boast about my gray cells being exercised like I should've been doing all along but the Longhorns and House had been getting in the way. (Makes me feel shameful about my lifestyle, will work on that).

After you mentioned changing subjects I went to the site and read the list. The art section looks good for me and tomorrow I'll give it a go.

Oh, btw, I tried to post a banner from their site on my signature but it didn't take. Do you know where I'm supposed to paste the url for it?

Thanks again for telling us about this site, I'll pass it along to family and friends,

STM

[edit on 10/27/2009 by seentoomuch]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Level 41
1100 grains

It reran some words from yesterday and I now know them, didn't even have to think about them. This site really does a great job teaching.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
You have now donated
750 grains of rice.

I quit because I had to go ... to go ... anyway rabbit bladders beat rice!

It's fun yes, a bit too simple. Mostly though, I figure the $ spent on electricity used on both ends of the connection would be worth more than the "grains". It's rather paltry.

Not bad just for "Are You Smarter Than a Second Grader" though.

I made most points on French, and it has been over thirty years since I took French!

Edit to add below:
Okay, we did my spouse before my next turn (after this posting). Spouse quit because was thristy!
Spouse drinks tea all day.

Anyway, I figured out where you all find the levels and how the thing works!

After making four mistakes in a row, I told spouse that you can change subjects if you get bored. Spouse's reply was, "I'm running out of rice. Their taking it back. I'll get a note in the mail saying I owe them rice."

Spouse's score before dashing for the cup of tea:
Level: 27 of 60 Best Level: 36 You have now donated 1180 grains of rice.

My turn now. Be back in awhile. Har! har - dee har! Too much fun!

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

How did you return to where you left off?

Oh wait, do you have a static connection? Or you have the cookie monster turned on or something?

We have to start all over at the beginning; but, the words aren't the same.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

To keep your count intact from visit to visit just press the option button at the top of the page and you'll see the choices offered.

And lol, your spouse has wit, so funny about getting a bill.

Edit to add: Where is Vanitas?

My best guess is a picture in my head, maybe I'm remote viewing, but I see Vanitas in front of the computer laughing, rubbing hands together as the count hits One Million! Spouse enters the picture and pulls Vanitas from the computer to get some sleep and some food, a bowl of rice.

Anyone else out there into remote viewing and want to give it a shot and answer "Where's Vanitas?"

[edit on 10/28/2009 by seentoomuch]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

I made most points on French, and it has been over thirty years since I took French!

I am so glad to hear that.
I may be totally wrong here, but it sounds like you really had some major fun with it. That's so great to see!

After making four mistakes in a row, I told spouse that you can change subjects if you get bored. Spouse's reply was, "I'm running out of rice. Their taking it back. I'll get a note in the mail saying I owe them rice."

(I was actually imagining this, so... no wonder I am bursting here. ;-))

THANK YOU for giving it a go.

I hope you and your wife return to it regularly.
(You CAN drink tea and/or coffee while you're at it, y'know. ;-)
Although I really shouldn't be advising anyone, considering my keyboard sis still recovering from that spilt Coke-light disaster...
)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by seentoomuch

Edit to add: Where is Vanitas?

My best guess is a picture in my head, maybe I'm remote viewing, but I see Vanitas in front of the computer laughing, rubbing hands together as the count hits One Million! Spouse enters the picture and pulls Vanitas from the computer to get some sleep and some food, a bowl of rice.

Not a very articulate response - but it is genuine...

This is the best laugh I've had in days!
The spouse part, especially, may take some time to get over...

(And BTW... I did sleep the entire day!
)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Level 41
1100 grains

It reran some words from yesterday and I now know them, didn't even have to think about them. This site really does a great job teaching.

Yes!
I am so glad to hear that.
If only people knew...!
I mean, this really is the internet as it SHOULD be.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
reply to post by Vanitas

How did you return to where you left off?

Oh wait, do you have a static connection? Or you have the cookie monster turned on or something?

The cookie monster IS turned on - but I don't think she (my cousin) would help you much if I sent her over to your house...

What I did was very low-tech: I simply kept the website open all the time.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Is nobody else going to come and boast about their scores...?

This really IS something to boast about, you know...

I wish I had included all the subjects in the original post, but now it's too late to edit.
So, let me recapitulate here:

ART (famous paintings)

CHEMISTRY (2 tests: Chemical symbols - basic and advanced)

ENGLISH (2 tests: grammar and vocabulary + the main page test, of course)

GEOGRAPHY (2 tests: identify countries on a map + identify world capital cities)

LANGUAGES: French, German, Italian, Spanish (basic vocabulary, but perfect for those who are either learning or would like to refresh their knowledge)

MATH (2 tests: basic math, multiplication tables)

You'll find them all here:

FREE RICE SUBJECTS

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Lol, this is good and fun, I'm glad I read Dickens recently it has helped a lot.
I'm throwing down the gauntlet here to the Mods. Come on all y'all. Let's see what you got!
Especially Mirthful Me (Gauntlet thrown with a smirk)

I would love to see what the admin can do also. Come on, Springer! SO! Crakeur! All of y'all! It's actually a lot of fun, but for a good cause and consider it a refresher, if y'all are up to it?

www.freerice.com...

[edit on 10/28/2009 by seentoomuch]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

Not a Mod, but I do have a score to share: 4010 grains, level 1.
(It's Chemistry! It only has one level!
)

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Oh, btw, I tried to post a banner from their site on my signature but it didn't take. Do you know where I'm supposed to paste the url for it?

Right, I just tried it myself, and no, it doesn't work.
I am sure there is a way; I hope somebody can enlighten us.

It does work on websites and blogs, though.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Okay, the site isn't saving my scores, so here is what I worked up to today:

1520 grains of rice
Level 43

Lol, I need more coffee after that brain drill.

Vanitas: Guess my remote viewing was off, could've sworn I saw a person prying your fingers off the keyboard.

And wow, a scientist on the board, chemistry is one subject I couldn't even begin, but, you know, maybe I will. I'll let the site teach me the basics though it would call for a minus level

[edit on 10/29/2009 by seentoomuch]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Could one of the Mods please let us know how to put a banner in our signature area? Thanks,

[edit on 10/29/2009 by seentoomuch]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

And wow, a scientist on the board, chemistry is one subject I couldn't even begin, but, you know, maybe I will. I'll let the site teach me the basics though it would call for a minus level

Hello again, it's the scientist speaking here....
I am reckoning they only have one level for Chemistry because it's so impossibly difficult to master. But it's wrth it! I was so proud of myself yesterday when I hit the correct answer - "C" for Carbon - three times in a row!!

Today I think I'll go and earn some rice doing the pre-Algebra math they have. (The multiplication tables look too daunting, I don't want anyone to starve because of me....
)

It's really fun. No kidding this time.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Ethereal Gargoyle]

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Ethereal Gargoyle]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join