It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's pulls out of Iceland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

McDonald's is to close its business in Iceland because the country's financial crisis has made it too expensive to operate its franchise. The fast food giant said its three outlets in the country would shut - and that it had no plans to return. Besides the economy, McDonald's blamed the "unique operational complexity" of doing business in an isolated nation with a population of just 300,000.

I wonder if McDonald's would be financially sustainable in a hyper-inflationary America?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by washingtonsghost

Seriously? wow I read earlier in the year that the recession had been awesome for McDonalds in America. I wonder why this is not the case in Iceland, are people so broke in Iceland that they can't even afford a Big Mac?

Any Iceland ATSers can give us an update on the state of your economy?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I wish McDonalds would pull out of existence, a company that happily profits from spreading poison packaged in shiny boxes.

Seriously, that stuff is killing us, all fast food is bad, but Mcdonalds is by faaaarrrrr the worse. Then again, should we blame Mcdonalds, or these parents who don't even know how to use a Stove, and would rather buy their kids a Happy Meal.

It's ridiculous how little people know about food and nutrition, for the modern american parent, ..... transfering something from a can to a bowl and putting it in the microwave is consdered cooking.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
the thing about McD's is that its so CHEAP! I mean you can get a burger for a DOLLAR? Where else in the world can you eat anything from a 'restaurant' for a dollar! Poor folks just cant say NO... no matter how many years the french fries last...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder in France?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

Royale wih cheese.

Because of the metric system.

Good movie.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Hmm wonder what they call a Big Mac?

I can't help but thinking it's a blessing in disguise for Iceland. I can't stand Mcdonald's
Something about food and assembly lines.....

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyR

They call them Big Macs.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

I believe they called them "Le Big Mac".

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
i wish they would pull out of the earth

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu

I don't really have anything else to say.....

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
McDonalds is the greatest invention known to man. I had a craving for the steak egg and cheese sandwich meal...came home...added mayo on top of that bad boy....mmmmmm. The best breakfast money can buy. Im a 28 year old dude and skinny as can be. Go Mcdonalds...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu

I assumed that was understood.

I don't recommend eating at a McDonalds in Europe. They taste weird and they charge you for ketchup.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
McDonalds is the greatest invention known to man. I had a craving for the steak egg and cheese sandwich meal...came home...added mayo on top of that bad boy....mmmmmm. The best breakfast money can buy. Im a 28 year old dude and skinny as can be. Go Mcdonalds...
skinny does not equal healthy, by any means

im skinny myself, and i know there are cholesterol and heart problems for us, even if we are skinny

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by prototism

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
skinny does not equal healthy, by any means

im skinny myself, and i know there are cholesterol and heart problems for us, even if we are skinny

Yes I know, my TG and Chol is good, plus I'm a health professional.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
McDonald's is pulling out of Iceland for one reason, and that is that it's not sufficiently profitable for them. Whether the reason why it's not profitable is related to the worldwide recession is debatable. People can relate to the recession. They're not so impressed by a statement such as, "We're just greedy barstids who can't squeeze enough money out of Iceland to make it worth our while".

I don't know how the economy is in Iceland. I'm thinking, though, that those people probably have more sense than we do in the US, and insist on getting actual food for their money. Certainly Iceland is not suffering a loss by this move.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
its funny with all the changes in ats since a while before the most recent elections

this is now one of the more important topics on the board
sad to see how much can change so quickly

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Those Icelanders are some beautiful people. What would they want with the likes of McDonlald's anyway? I would hate to see them join the obecity pandemic that the US is in.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
It's not really that 'McDonald's' is pulling out of Iceland per se, it is only that the Icelandic entity behind the McDonald's franchisee stores (3 of them in Iceland) is closing down because he can no longer compete with the local businesses.

This is because McDonald's insists all the meat, fries, buns etc must be imported from Germany - McDonald's will not let them use local produce.

Because the Euro has skyrocketed in relation to local currency, they can't compete with other outlets who source locally.

Anyway, it's a good thing for the Icelandic people either way - better and more healthier to buy locally. Sad for the franchisee though who stumped up big bucks to set up the stores.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join