It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon rises late AGAIN!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I verrified this for the first thread.... the moon is NOT rising later.

The moon has been on time world wide for as long as I or any of my atronomer friends have been watching.

Either you are not accounting for horizon levels (mountains), altitude (times are for sea level), or you are just crazy.

Please find something not verrifiable world wide to rant about....

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quest
Please find something not verrifiable world wide to rant about....

Isnt the idea to verify these things?
It started on another site, and worked its way here where people took the time to make sure it wasn't correct. Squelched an internet rumor that has been going around...
I say WTG!!

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Isnt the idea to verify these things?

It would be nice if there was accurate measurment showing something wrong in the first place.

As is, nothing is wrong, nothing has changed, but without compitant people wasting time verrifying it, people start freaking out.

Here is a better plan than having me or anyone else spend time confirming the moon isn't missing....Know what you are doing and talking about in the first place.

Standing around with a timetable and staring at the horizon is about as accurate as if I asked why the sky turned brown before taking off my sun glasses. Should I check in daily with everyone to verrify if I am or am not wearing sunglasses?

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Is the moon being late and the polar ice caps a bad thing? Can someone explain why because im totally baffled as to why, all i can think of is the Tides and thats it

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I've noticed something about the moon too, unfortunatly my father who works with the government is out of town on a business trip isn't here so I cant get some answewrs from him.

Plan A for those who read my post last night is looking like a very realistic option for me right now.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
If the moon is acting funny wouldn't the all the oceans tides be acting up too?

Im over all this difference of opinion, some are saying were screwed, while others say its just armageddon nuts blowing the whistle for no reason.

Im going to my local observatory and see if I can find any "anomalies."

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Im going to my local observatory and see if I can find any "anomalies."

Just checking in with new thing at local observatories is fun. Also you can see for yourself that nothing is going on with the moon.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221
Is the moon being late and the polar ice caps a bad thing? Can someone explain why because im totally baffled as to why, all i can think of is the Tides and thats it

It's about shifting mass vs rotation speed

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quest

It would be nice if there was accurate measurment showing something wrong in the first place.

Here is a better plan than having me or anyone else spend time confirming the moon isn't missing....Know what you are doing and talking about in the first place.

I think anytime people go out and look even if they find out later that they did it the wrong way, it promotes learning the correct way. It makes them learn something. And that is NEVER a bad thing. My point is that at least people are trying. People won't ever know what they are talking about unless they take the time to learn it. By going out and watching, then checking charts, times, etc...they are learning.

I understand what you are saying, the original observtions were probibly whacked and done wrong to begin with. Now mind you, I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to the moon, I know it rises and sets, and does't spin like the earth and is a big ball of dust. Thats about it, well besides tides, but isnt all science based on observations?

The people who take the time to go out and observe are learning something. Yeah, people sometimes don't understand and make a big issue out of nothing, but in the end, when they find the right answer, they have learned. So if anything, at least it promotes learning about the earth and moon.

I still say WTG!!! lol
Science isnt just for the scientist.
We are all scientists at heart.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Darkblade.... you are right. if this makes people get out and look at the sky more, it is a good thing.

I encourage everyone to go see for themselves that the moon is on track with the predicted orbit. Just make sure you are accounting for everything when doing so.

Things like this are normally just mistakes or errors, not catastrophies.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
As I posted on the first thread on this topic

Originally posted by HowardRoark
What gets me is that the original poster (CliffMickelson) has no concept of the difference between the rotation of the earth and the orbit of the moon. Reading that post made it seem like the Earth is stationary and that the transit of the moon across the night sky is due to the orbital motion.

Come on people. Think here.

The Moon's orbit is 27.3 days. The apparent motion of the moon across the night sky is due to the rotation of the Earth. Any change in the rotational speed of the earth would have immediate consequences.

Do you know how the GPS system works? Do you know what would happen to the GPS system if there was even the slightest variation in the Earth's rotation? Do you know what time it is? If you did you would know just how silly this all is.

Before you post about how the Moon is rising "late" you should at least have an understanding of the orbital mechanics involved.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
HowardRoark, If I do that the romantic notions I have of the moon will be spoiled.
When I sit on my livingroom I have the most beautiful site of it at night.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join