It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin haters try to trick readers into buying their book

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Amusing, but highly objectionable.

I am a left liberal etc etc, and I find this to be offensive. I am not opposed to books coming out that have opposing views of her, however, this is clearly trickery.

Clever marketing scheme mind you, but still below the belt move in my opinion. You want to make Palin look foolish, fine, but this stunt simply makes the writers look petty.

I wonder if they got some money up front.
They will have to sell it for $1 .

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Surely, as someone who missed the first line of this thread, you can recognize that some may not read the small writing at the bottom

-E-

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Eh, I don't really see the point.

It's fairly obviously a different book, and despite the fact that they obviously designed the cover to purposefully mimic Palin's book, there's really nothing interesting there.

I honestly feel sorry for the people who can't tell the difference between 'rouge' and 'rogue' and who will end up buying the wrong book by mistake.

But then again, if people aren't even taking the time to read the title and just pick up the book because it has her picture on the cover... what does that say about Palin's target audience?

Either way, I wouldn't pick up either book. Sarah Palin is an embarrassment, and anyone who has the time to write a hit piece about one of the easiest targets in politics is also an embarrassment. You can imagine both books will just be full of more divisive crap.

Two crappy books, similar covers, different titles. If people get burned and buy the wrong one by mistake... well, they won't be missing out on much either way. And I'm sure the store will exchange it for you.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by Drexl
How can it be against copyright , who are they copying ? Unless Sarah Palin's ghost writer wants to take it up in court , but she isn't allowed to say anything anyway about the book she wrote , so that rules that out . It is like milli vanilli trying to accuse somebody of stealing they vocals .

You see.

They're everywhere.

No facts, just slurs and noise.

I've been a target of these leftists and I know whereof I speak.

They are bold now, but they can be defeated at the ballot box.

A tree Is known By its fruit.

[edit on 2009/10/21 by GradyPhilpott]

What do you mean .. no facts ? She employed a ghost writer , that a known fact . What else is a slur , the milli vanilli comparison ? Why would that be a slur , if an artist or author chooses to employ another to write their work of art , why not then the obvious comparison to milli vanilli , it is what it is after all , a dupery and a pseudo document. I am sure you would not be reluctant to point out such an obvious flaw should Obama next win the nobel prize for literature and it be discovered somebody else had authored his masterpiece . Besides, you would not defeat me at the ballot box . Contrary to your assumption that I am just a partisan voice of the American left out to discredit your heroine , I am a european with no vested interest in this palin creatures fortunes in politics or anywhere else . So, I call her dumb and I've no reason to be fearful of her 'potential' , I don't know why you fail to see the same lack of fear amongst americans when they likewise make fun of her . She is nothing to be afraid of . She is a buffoon .

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drexl
She employed a ghost writer.... She is a buffoon .

Nice.

Of course, she used a ghost writer.

Most people do when they write their memoirs, unless they are professional writers.

That says nothing at all about her one way or the other.

By the way, I'm only defending Palin as a human being.

I don't think that she'll be president or that she deserves to be.

It is the left that's made her a superstar, not McCain or the conservative base.

You should ponder that.

[edit on 2009/10/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'm guessing there will be no mistaking this one...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce9b2c3209df.jpg[/atsimg]

-E-

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
Surprisingly, in a way I agree with you. I find it slightly humorous that the publisher of the faux Palin book took such pains to imitate her real book.

You think its an effort to simulate the cover of her book? Give me photoshop and I'll copy her cover with no effort I assure you. Although Im sure the publisher didnt make an effort at all, I think it was more subconscious given the fact the book would be released at the same time.

To me that just another example of how much angst Palin gives the left.

Lets define angst here:

a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity

www.merriam-webster.com...

-For somebody who helped sink the McCain campaign in 2008,
-Made political suicide by resigning roughly halfway through her governors administration
-Who made a total fool of herself during afew interviews, including one that asked her about her knowledge over the Bush doctrine,

and more... I really dont understand where you conclusion of "angst" came from? But then again that could be just bluffing on side of her followers.

They try too hard to smear someone

What makes you think anybody is trying so hard? The woman is an easy target I admit. I dont think anybody needs to try hard on Palin.

they claim is such a lightweight.

So you disagree that she's a lightweight? This supposedly "strong" woman with christian conservative values, who needs to have a supporters cover her day in and day out, who couldnt handle any political criticism towards her so much that she resigned.

You know, she has achieved alot in comparison to the average joe I will tell ya that. But her actions over the last months have basically thrown much respect for those achievements (beyond the religious right) out in the dump. Its a shame ya know.

She must worry many on the leftalone.

Do you honestly think shes a threat Pavil? This isnt a rhetorical question, Im asking honestly. Do you think shes any kind of a force come 2012? This isnt hollywood, its the real world need I remind you. Things can happen, but assuredly not to Palin any longer.

or they would just leave her

By your logic any political figure that leaves the political limelight is deemed still to be a threat if criticism continues. Thats a very broad assumption.

SG

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

-Made political suicide by resigning roughly halfway through her governors administration

So, why all the agnst?

You didn't answer that.

You don't have to, though.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Is this really a cause for argument? I think not. Anyone that is in the political sphere is a target. If you are a public figure of any degree there are going to be people that dislike you. That is just a part of being involved in politics. If you have an issue with any public figure, go ahead and right a book as well. You have just as much of a right to do so as these folks do. Wanna release it on the same day as the person in question releases their own, go for it.

I think everyone on both sides of the issue in this thread are being hyper-sensitive. It happens, and it really isn't that big of a deal.

Anyone that is functionally literate will end up picking up the correct book if they choose to purchase it. If they pick up the wrong one because they weren't paying attention, that is their own fault, and I'm sure that whatever bookstore they pick it up from would be happy to exchange said book given the situation.

Could the simultaneous release be construed as mean spirited, or manipulative? Sure, but there are plenty of mean spirited and manipulative people in the world, why should we dwell on an particular one. Just move on, there are more important things in life than worrying about whether or not others despise a politician that you happen to love, or vice versa.

In the end it's not criminal, and if pissing people off was the intent, those of you who are hopping mad are just giving the author/publisher what they want.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

So, why all the agnst?

Theres no angst as I stated, she's an easy target and thats that. Its rather humorous that you think this is "fear" or "insecurity", you really give this woman too much credit.

You didn't answer that.

I did. Your wrong in the assumption that theres any fear and I made that clear.

If you want pretend this woman is somehow a force to be reckon with, and theres "fear", thats your deal. I dont know what further motivation its going to do for Mrs Palin given her situation and her political future to higher office.

You don't have to, though.

I answered, and your ignoring it.

SG

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I answered, and your ignoring it.

SG

You haven't.

You're in denial.

If it weren't for the left and the incessant attacks, Palin would be governor of Alaska, she might or might not run for president, but at best she'd just be one more candidate in a large field.

Now, she's media gold and with every attack, she gets hotter and hotter.

That might be good and it might be bad. I'm not sure, yet.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Attack, attack, attack and attack again.

Of course OP the similarity is meant to be the same, and if this ever went in front of a jury or judge it would be found to be true. Just the usage of the words and the layout it is obvious.

Of course the people that deny it deny their own sheepleness.

Explain to me again everyone how these two covers are not similar. OOOHHH, let us attack, attack, attack and attack again.

No need to open ones own eyes, because we all know who the bad side is. What side is that again?

The ENDISNIGHE

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
She is like the village idiot on a national scale . People always have a morbid curiosity for the ridiculous and the preposterous . That is where she gains her audience , apart from the crazed right wingers who would have her elected . She is a spectacle , like the elephant man in some ways , some awful creature that will draw attention by virtue of their gross violations of the usual sense of norms .

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
sarah palin represents like everything wrong with the republican party today.

i dont especially consider myself on either side of the political scale, but seriously, i've yet to hear a good argument to sarah palin not being retarded? how can you want her anywhere near your party. ever.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

here's an email i got about sara palin

By Dewie Whetsell, Alaskan Fisherman. As posted in comments on Greta's article referencing the MOVEON ad about Sarah Palin.

The last 45 of my 66 years I've spent in a commercial fishing town in Alaska. I understand Alaska politics but never understood national politics well until this last year. Here's the breaking point: Neither side of the Palin controversy gets it. It's not about persona, style, rhetoric, it's about doing things. Even Palin supporters never mention the things that I'm about to mention here.

1- Democrats forget when Palin was the Darling of the Democrats, because as soon as Palin took the Governor's office away from a fellow Republican and tough SOB, Frank Murkowski, she tore into the Republican's "Corrupt Bastards Club" (CBC) and sent them packing. Many of them are now residing in State housing and wearing orange jump suits. The Democrats reacted by skipping around the yard, throwing confetti and singing, "la la la la" (well, you know how they are). Name another governor in this country that has ever done anything similar.

2- Now with the CBC gone, there were fewer Alaskan politicians to protect the huge, giant oil companies here. So she constructed and enacted a new system of splitting the oil profits called "ACES." Exxon (the biggest corporation in the world) protested and Sarah told them, "don't let the door hit you in the stern on your way out." They stayed, and Alaska residents went from being merely wealthy to being filthy rich. Of course, the other huge international oil companies meekly fell in line. Again, give me the name of any other governor in the country that has done anything similar.

3- The other thing she did when she walked into the governor's office is she got the list of State requests for federal funding for projects, known as "pork." She went through the list, took 85% of them and placed them in the "when-hell-freezes-over" stack. She let locals know that if we need something built, we'll pay for it ourselves. Maybe she figured she could use the money she got from selling the previous governor's jet because it was extravagant. Maybe she could use the money she saved by dismissing the governor's cook (remarking that she could cook for her own family), giving back the State vehicle issued to her, maintaining that she already had a car, and dismissing her State provided security force (never mentioning - I imagine - that she's packing heat herself). I'm still waiting to hear the names of those other governors.

4- Now, even with her much-ridiculed "gosh and golly" mannerism, she also managed to put together a totally new approach to getting a natural gas pipeline built which will be the biggest private construction project in the history of North America. No one else could do it although they tried. If that doesn't impress you, then you're trying too hard to be unimpressed while watching her do things like this while baking up a batch of brownies with her other hand.

5- For 30 years, Exxon held a lease to do exploratory drilling at a place called Point Thompson. They made excuses the entire time why they couldn't start drilling. In truth they were holding it like an investment. No governor for 30 years could make them get started... This summer, she told them she was revoking their lease and kicking them out. They protested and threatened court action. She shrugged and reminded them that she knew the way to the court house. Alaska won again.

6- President Obama wants the nation to be on 25% renewable resources for electricity by 2025. Sarah went to the legislature and submitted her plan for Alaska to be at 50% renewables by 2025. We are already at 25%. I can give you more specifics about things done, as opposed to style and persona. Everybody wants to be cool, sound cool, look cool. But that's just a cover-up. I'm still waiting to hear from liberals the names of other governors who can match what mine has done in two and a half years. I won't be holding my breath.

By the way, she was content to return to AK after the national election and go to work, but the haters wouldn't let

her. Now these adolescent screechers are obviously not scuba divers. And no one ever told them what happens when you continually jab and pester a barracuda. Without warning, it will spin around and tear your face off. Shoulda known better.

You have just read the truth about Sarah Palin that sends the media, along with the democrat party, into a wild uncontrolled frenzy to discredit her. I guess they are only interested in skirt chasers, dishonesty, immoral people, liars, womanizers, murderers, and bitter ex-presidents' wives.

So "You go, Girl." I only wish the men in Washington had your guts, determination, honesty, and morals.

I rest my case.

Only FOOLS listen to the biased media.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
IMO, given the level of attention that Palin's detractors give to her not to mention the time spent making a mockery of her, she must be doing something to make people nervous.
Otherwise, why waste so much valuable time on her?

I wonder if Oprah lost a certain percentage of her viewership when she denied Sarah access to her show during the election while blatantly supporting Obama. That could explain why she is now allowing Sarah to be on her show while also advertising her book. Oprah may be trying to win back some of her lost viewers. That's just speculation, of course, but it makes sense to me.

I don't blame Sarah at all for appearing on the show. Everybody knows that if Oprah suggests a book that it will sell big-time.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
You can speculate all you want, but you must surely know this Palin is deficient in all basic requirements to lead any kind of nation , she lacks all the requirements and credentials . She will be a laughing stock . When she comes up against the likes of Putin , a well respected and knowledgeable pipeline strategist counterpart , she'll be telling Putin of her bedroom view of russia from alaska . And shooting of moose . They will run rings around a fool such as her . Much as I would like to see the downfall of the usa , I would not wish such an ignominious farcical departure from the world stage.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The cover is satire. That's not actionable. See Falwell v. Flynt.

Will people be confused into buying it? Depends on where it's displayed. If they're side by side, maybe one or two people will grab one by mistake - but I can't say I've bought many books without taking a peek inside or glancing at the back cover.

In any case, the real surprise for me was that Palin's actual book made the bestseller list so quickly (and so strongly). I'm actually a little curious about the book now - I really have no idea why she's as popular as she is, might pick it up to see what all the fuss is about.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Spectre0o0

Thanks for that info. It puts a nice light on her accomplishments as governor. Now that's the kind of change that this country needed. Unfortunately, the liberals would rather make fun of her based on little soundbites, the whole while never really knowing a thing about her. I'm pretty sure she's smarter than most give her credit. I also am pretty sure she can spell better than many of the ATSers who put her down. That said, I don't think she should run for office in the future - she has too much baggage.

As far as the book, anyone who buys it by accident will simply return it, gaining the Rouge book writers nothing. The target audience for that book is not the Palin supporters but those who dislike her.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fuggle
This just proves that the traditional Christian values of America are being assaulted on every front by the Marxist underbelly of what was, until a year ago, the only decent country on the planet.

A quote worthy of Stephen Colbert if ever there was one.I do hope my Kiwi friend that you are kidding because if you arnt then you are seriously disturbed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join