It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we in Afghanistan right now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I don't want this topic moved to the 9-11 conspiracy forum because I feel this topic is more appropriate here.

I've been watching youtube videos for the last few hours about Afghanistan and about their war-lords, about the Taliban, about how they're linked with Al-quaeda. I understand that Al-quaeda forces have the potential to destabilize foreign states... I think that it's up to the states that they are attempting to destabilizing to really fight back at them- not ours. What I want to know is why we are there. We were sold the reason of the war that we were fighting Al-quaeda fighters (as to why we were there). But the evidence points more towards us being there to finish the job that we did in the 1990s when we left from the Soviets... and now the Taliban is taking over.

So I feel that the Government is sympathetic to the Afghanistan people... so that's why they're still there fighting the Taliban. Otherwise... why would we even be there? Most of Al-quaeda from what we know is in Packistan right now. So... I have come over very little justification for the battle we're in. I'm opposed to the fighting in the first place... but can someone tell me why the government decided to go to Afghanistan and not Packistan, or, where the training camps were and get those? It would make much more sense to a foreign policy if they were concentrating on Al-quaeda... but the military industrial complex seems far more focused on the Taliban than they should be. I laugh at the idea that they're somehow a threat to our national security. It's mostly Al-quaeda that is the driving force behind it right? So why are they so concerned with the Taliban then?

I don't understand the justifications for this war now... and I would like it if someone offered me a different point of view.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

The best reply I have seen from the US govt. is "because 9/11 was planned there"
Well, I got news for the govt....bad s**t gets planned everywhere...least of which is deserts and caves.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I dont think you will ever get a legitimate answer. This place is full of skeptics and your answer's will probably range from sensible all the way to lunacy. Good luck finding an answer that probably doesnt exist any more. Im still looking forward to some of the crackpot answers, its fun to laugh at some of the crazies on here.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
For some damn oil pipeline that crosses threw the country and as a bonus the CIA probably gets to take over the poppie fields .

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
How about the simple idea that we want two fronts ready and able for the next possible war??????????????????

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by peachie600
How about the simple idea that we want two fronts ready and able for the next possible war??????????????????

ohh yeah ...forgot that one.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I think we are strengthening the Taliban in Pakistan by being in Afghanistan. Us being there is irritating Radical Islamic Pakistanis, who join the Taliban. This will destabilize Pakistan, causing a HUGE war (any day now) from India to Turkey. . . . haven't you seen the new Middle-East Map? (just google it). . . It all makes sense now, with Iran angry at Pakistan, Baluchistan wanting independence, along with the Kurdish/Turkey tensions, Kashmir, and of course: Israel. The area is all interconnected.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
to secure poppy fields (prices on opiates were inflating too much =p).
to secure a station for further offensives on middle east (as someone said).

because pakistan has noo-ku-lar weapons.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I think this may be a reason:

blog.gale.com...

Which leads to this:

online.wsj.com...

Which leads to this:

www.independent.co.uk... ge-1748102.html

It's always about resources.

Nice thread right here on it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 21-10-2009 by TonyClifton]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
They will stay in Afghanistan for an eon to protect the proposed Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan (TAP) pipeline (54' diameter, 1700km pipe from Caspian Sea), which is why they want to safe-guard the Helmand Province in Afghanistan, so construction can begin.

The Caspian Sea has huge reserves.

Why else would the West give a crap about these dust-bowl countries??

p.s. also agree with previous poster; to flank Iran from both sides, for future confrontation.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Yes oil aka natural resources is the biggest reason we are fighting these wars in the middle east. If we weren't there China, Russia or someone else would be one upping us on cheap oil. We can talk about solar energy, wind energy, free energy and have wet dreams about Tesla but at the end of the day humanity and the US lives in reality and like it or not we live in an economy based on cheap oil. EVERYTHING nowadays relies on cheap oil. If you broke down the average barrel of oil into what we use it for............fertilizers, plastics, gas, etc. It's not just for energy. It's for LOTS of products. The amount of oil used to grow our food is astronomical. Even if every car miraculously was powered by water...........the west would still need its precious oil. But instead of trading with countries we are stealing oil like we've always done. If we didn't go in and steal oil we'd all be paying twice as much for everything. Do you really think the US and most of the West is so wealthy because we are so much smarter, so much harder working, or so much more innovative than every other group of people on the planet? Or are we willing to do "things" that other people aren't so apt to do. Yes we've seen the Hitlers of the world, the Pol Pots, the Mao's etc. But the imperialists who hide behind banks and standing armies have wreaked as much havoc on their fellow human beings than any dictator. HAHA. I sound like a jihadist listening to myself type this out. But remember revolutionary Americans and the Founding Fathers were all terrorists in the eyes of the British crown back in the day. While we would NEVER condone the barbaric actions and beliefs of many terrorists I can't say the average American patriot is that far removed from their mindset of wanting to be left alone to live their life how they see fit. Free from the intrusive and culturally destructive forces of "civilized" western societies aka government and corporations.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bettermakings

I agree. If you compare/contrast, would you want foreigners that do not speak your language or are of your religion telling "YOU" what to do, looking through your stuff, thinking you are a possible enemy? Would that not make you angry? Or would you give them milk & cookies while they go through your house or business looking through your private stuff for "weapons or incriminating evidence?" Would you, here in the U.S.A., organize a group to defend yourself against these "invaders" who say they are here for your benefit, to help you , while they do not comprehend one word you say?

I just wanted the reader to see the point of view why some over there might be angry. You would be angry also (see, you all have something in common)if someone went on your property and camped out there and dirtied it while you pay taxes and work that land.

The way to peace is to learn, comprehend each other's cultures, know each others languages, so things do not get lost in translation.

Also, Do we not already have the technology to not just defend our borders without going overseas so much? Surely that would help save the economy while easing tensions.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by problemsolvr]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
How about the drug trade.
Anything heard about that angle.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The way I look at the situation while looking at the mid-east map, we have Iran right in between Iraq to the west and Afghanistan to the east plus the Persian Gulf right below Iran. Iraq and Afghanistan were pretty easy to take over, although not completely eliminating all the opposing forces, the military still has a large foothold on the countries. The US has a mass amount of troops and naval warships in all those locations. Iran is pretty much blockaded. Blockading the country will problably de-stabilize the country from within after a few years.

We dont have to worry about Pakistan attacking us and can just let them deal with India if they start a war with eachother. Azerbajian and Turkmenistan to the north are not really too far developed countries and pose very little risk. Too much cost to take those countries for little strategic value.

Thats what I see while looking at it in a strategic way.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by buni11687]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
How about the drug trade.
Anything heard about that angle.

Nealry a billion dollars for Alqueda and Taliban is prodcued from Afghanistan.
90% of the worlds opium is produced there.
There is a massive multi national army there and they cant destabalise that trade? I dont think so......
Corrupt Pakistani and Afhgani officials and CIA assets are instrumental in the trade.
If you want to read a brilliantly researched book on it.
I recommend Gretchen Peters the author of Seeds of Terror
a book that examines the Trade,and Afghan Insurgency

www.pbs.org...

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Why are we in Afghanistan right now?

What's with this "we" stuff? I'm not in Afghanistan, and apparently, neither are you. There are many US military and various foreign military service men and women currently serving there, but the US personnel are all volunteers. So ostensibly, they want to be there. So why would you question their motives?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This is a reply to the thread "Why are we in Afghanistan?" I have recently come home after 8 years in Afghanistan. Have you forgotten 9-11? Do you not remember the Trade Center buildings "bombed" by those two planes? All the conspiracies regarding 9-11 are irrelevant. Conspiracies ranging from Bush, to whatever had anything to do with why it happened, is irrelevant. What happened was we were attacked and WE RESPONDED. PERIOD.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by timtheyankee

Initially yes, but the reason for being there now, is more than a fight against terrorism.
Its multi faceted,
Subject to huge corruption.
And one of the big money spinners.

I am in no way disrepecting your deployment there.
I am simply aware it is more than just "payback" nowadays.
Corruption reaches anywhere there is distress.

ight years after the fall of Kabul, reporter Paul Moreira went in search of the promised schools. Despite repeated requests to authorities, he had trouble finding a new school that had been completed. Still on the trail of the aid dollar he found a hospital that was supposed to be refurbished. Instead it was literally falling apart. The aid money intended to pay for the hospital's renovations had been wasted and the work was shoddy. In other parts of the capital Afghans go hungry, their children sit in open air classrooms while Moreira finds evidence that aid dollars are being spent on banquets feeding an array of businessmen and government officials. However, there is one construction sector that is in full swing: that of luxury villas. In one district of Kabul, poor residents are being evicted from their homes. The buildings are then destroyed and the land sold cheaply so that massive villas and homes can be built for the wealthy. Why are these people being sold the land so cheaply?

www.abc.net.au...

[edit on 25-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
We are in it to win it.
Now that we let the drugs slip through our hands
and sat around in forts while the enemy re grouped
and are under attack its time to go and re group.

We are better attacking an enemy when we can
see them.

Any problem with that.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
We could always ask Bush and Cheney even now.
If we care to listen to those two any more.

And many more questions about the secret energy policy
they had with Ken Lay of Enron.
Imagine releasing the power of the tower of Tesla at 10M hp a pop.
No way but we could put it in their face and say the tower should be done.

And what about the Texas conference with the Taliban of Afghanistan.
Was the real reason about a pipeline or is Russia involved in any way.
We are in Afghanistan along with many of life's mysteries.

Nam existed in some part because Nixon wanted it.

We might be able to say we are in Afghanistan because it was the
right thing to do as Bush announced we were going to wipe out Al Quada.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join