It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist agenda?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I am a person who believes in God. I even talk to him fro time to time. I don't care for organized religion at all. Mainly because it seems to be driven more by greed and quest for power than it is supposed to be. And I don't care for someone trying to convert anyone against their will. If missionaries were sent to far off lands to help people without pushing their agenda, it would seem more genuine (IMHO).

I can understand why a person who truly believe God is the only way and they care enough to attempt to spread this word around. I understand the agenda there. To save a lost soul or to stop someone from eternal damnation. Right or wrong, I understand it.

What I don't understand is the motive for an atheist to try to convert people to their way of thinking. What is to be gained by this? By all means they have just as much right to do this as someone would to ring your doorbell and attempt to tell you all about God. But what will they gain other than a little company? I would appreciate any and all responses. I am not trying to convert any atheists, or condemn any Christians, just trying to understand this.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It's all about convincing themselves of what they say they believe, all the while knowing that God is. It's a hard thing to do and it needs to be done daily. One slip and the ability to resist the truth of God could overtake them and cause them to accept truth.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
It's all about convincing themselves of what they say they believe, all the while knowing that God is. It's a hard thing to do and it needs to be done daily. One slip and the ability to resist the truth of God could overtake them and cause them to accept truth.

So are you trying to say that I believe in God, but I try to convince myself otherwise? Arrogant much? I am not tryign to convert anyone to my beliefs at all, I simply want regligious influence out of my life. For example, stem cell research is hindered because of religious groups, my gay friends can't marry because of religious groups, a young girl who is going trough one of the worst times in her life is hassled even more because she had an abortion by religious groups. They are stoping the advancement of our society and civilization as a whole. Believe what you want but leave it out of political, social and medical advancement!!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
There's the idea that the more who believe what you believe the more "right" you are that's found in virtually all groups regardless of the reason for grouping.

There's also a self-righteousness about it. They would believe they are doing you a favor. Like on a holy crusade.

And there's some who just want to be annoying for kicks.

Each individual has his own reasons for grouping. The three I've mentioned are hardly the bulk of them but they are the reasons I see most often.

Oh, how could I forget the single greatest recruiting tool of all time? Chicks. If a guy thinks there's the slightest chance of getting laid by affiliating himself with some group he'll join up in a heartbeat. At least with high school and college aged groups.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I almost think that is part of it. But that is me trying to understand their position from my point of view. I kind of get this with my daughter. She seems as if she wants to believe, but that she would be letting her fellow atheists down, of conforming to a lesser thought pattern. I just want to know why.

link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

I'm sorry but you are proving my point. If you were sure of what you say you believe, God would not have any affect on your life and you can do as you please, but... this is not the case, as you say, were it not for religion.. So you are not free to think as you want to and I know this upsets a lot of atheists. I was once an atheist so I only know what I know, and so that is why I said it the way I did.

link   

You know your post really bothered me for a minute, like to the point of anger, but then I just realized you were trolling, so now I dont feel as bad.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I think they're motive is that they want us all to be as hopeless and apathetic as they are. It's no fun being broody when everyone else is happy after all. And I'm tired of people blaming things are religion. "Religion is evil and makes people do bad things."

No, Religion isn't evil. Believe it or not Christianity actually teaches peace, and so does the Koran. So please, don't blame it all on God, or Jesus, or Mohamed. Doing so is just an ignorant thing to do because you've had a pissy day.

Atheists are not stupid people, they pride themselves on being intelligent and I'm absolutely sure that most of them are. The whole propaganda thing in New York is just fine, they have a right to do it as well as people have the right to ignore it.

You have the facts against God and you thoroughly believe that he doesn't exist, fine, by all means be an atheist. I however, will continue to believe in the word of Christ and spread love and friendship to ALL people regardless of their religion or belief.

In the end, being friendly and loving people is a greater solution to just telling people they're wrong, because they KNOW they're not.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

so you wouldn't see any reason to post anti religion posters?
And I do get where you are coming from with your frustrations. Believe it or not, some of those same things upset people on my side.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I'm sorry but you are proving my point. If you were sure of what you say you believe, God would not have any affect on your life and you can do as you please, but... this is not the case, as you say, were it not for religion.. So you are not free to think as you want to and I know this upsets a lot of atheists. I was once an atheist so I only know what I know, and so that is why I said it the way I did.

How can you say it would have no affect on my life, if I was gay and I wanted to marry, I couldnt', if I was really sick and stem cells coudl fix me I could not be healed propperly, If I was a young girl who wanted to discreetly have a MEDICAL procedure done without walking out of a clinic to protesters calling me a whore I can't, all three examples life = affected. Not by will, but forcefully

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

No.. not trolling but responding to the issues as they interest me. I think that's why they're called "discussion boards". Anyway accusing one of trolling is to say "shut up", so is that what it is, you are upset cause I have an opinion..? Or maybe a fear of topic discussion..?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Get over yourselves.

I'm an atheist and not once have i ever tried to convert people into my way of thinking.

The day you have atheists in white shirts knocking on your door is the day you can claim an agenda.

If you believe in God - fine. If you don't - fine!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
please don't turn this into a we are right because we believe thread. My intent is to understand why atheists think the way they do. I have a dog in this fight, so it does matter to me. Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

No.. not trolling but responding to the issues as they interest me. I think that's why they're called "discussion boards". Anyway accusing one of trolling is to say "shut up", so is that what it is, you are upset cause I have an opinion..? Or maybe a fear of topic discussion..?

See there you go again "Or maybe a fear of topic discussion", your trying to provoke me! lol And you were trolling, you pretty much said, your wrong, i'm right, you just don't know your wrong and trying to convince yourself".

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

my reason for asking is in another thread here but I couldn't seem to get any response. It appears that some atheists are willing to spend money on an advertising campaign against religion or promoting atheism. Again, I am just trying to understand, not pushing any agenda.

edit for spelign

[edit on 21-10-2009 by network dude]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Get over yourselves.

I'm an atheist and not once have i ever tried to convert people into my way of thinking.

The day you have atheists in white shirts knocking on your door is the day you can claim an agenda.

If you believe in God - fine. If you don't - fine!

LOL can't you just see it now? *knock knock*, Hello ma'am how are you today? I'm just here to ask you if you have rejected Jesus as your lord and saviour?? You would be chased off the lawn with a gun hahaha

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
because they are the same,
they care and care makes mistakes,
mistakes allow regret, regret allows forgiveness,
which is another word for understanding.
it is the motor of this society, growth.
growth is based on reflection (repenting),
which means u-turns, lost sheeps.

People who care, make mistakes and take their cross for god,
atheists or relgions or others, they all do the same,
mistakes because of care.

ignorance is the devil that is in peace.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by pasttheclouds]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Atheists don't generally go out into the streets to proclaim that god and religion is a farce. The only time I or any other atheists I know have tried to convert a person to a different way of thinking is when there/our own beliefs were challenged by religious people.

I wont tell you what I think of your beliefs unless you start spouting on about mine. k?

You seem to think that when someone is converted into believing a whole heap of lies from a 3000 year old book written by a bunch of superstitous bigotted ignorant men its a good thing but when a person makes a self realisation to rid religion from their life and do some good deeds because they want to instead of out of fear of some sky nanny then some how its a bad thing. Many horrible and atrocious acts have been carried out and go unpunished because of a belief in god. I dont see how that type of thinking should be allowed to continue in this modern day.

The atheist "agenda" if there is one is to stop more disasters like this war on terror or all the problems going on in the middle east.

Usually though atheists just dont like the idea of religion and many have been physically and emotionally scarred for life and the perpetrators will not be brought to justice because of the power of religion and the things it gets away with.

Its not the Atheist agenda but the Religious agenda that you should be worried about.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by mr-lizard

my reason for asking is in another thread here but I couldn't seem to get any response. It appears that some atheists are willing to spend money on an advertising campaign against religion or promoting atheism. Again, I am just trying to understand, not pushing any agenda.

edit for spelign

[edit on 21-10-2009 by network dude]

Dude, I don't want any posters pushing my cause, i'd much rather the money be spent on something else, I dont agree with it adn I see no need to display my beliefs. But, with that being said, there is no athiest collection plate, so its private money and they can do with it as they see fit within the law. It's not eating any bread outta my pocket.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Network dude,

I appreciate your question and it certainly begs an answer.

First, I do not believe in "God".

Second, I am guilty of trying to convince others that "God" is a fraud.

I don't have these conversations to put others down or to feel the gratification of bashing/converting someone's beliefs.

I have these convos because I don't understand how a person can believe in something that is so arbitrary.

I know for a 100% fact that it's not God being this man with a white beard sitting on this throne....It's us and what we desire to be.....Everyone on this planet is God. Everything on this planet is God.

You only know religion because you were exposed to the idea....You did not create this idea......If you were raised on a desert island....Would you believe in God??

I leave you this quote...

"God must be greater than the greatest of human weaknesses and, indeed, the greatest of human skill. God must even transcend our most remarkable-to emulate nature in its absolute splendor. How can any man or woman sin against such greatness of mind? How can one little carbon unit on Earth-in the backwaters of the Milky Way, the boondocks-betray God almighty? That is impossible. The height of arrogance is the height of control of those who create God in their own image."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join