It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist agenda?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lister87

Originally posted by network dude
I am a person who believes in God. I even talk to him fro time to time.

Then you should be in a ward.

what will commit me to the padded room is that sometimes he talks back.
no really.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Not to be rude...but what are some of the things he says to you? I would be interested to know...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

when I have particularly bad things happen or real tough decisions I ask him questions, in my head not out loud. I will sometimes just get things pop into my head that sort of point me in the right direction, but the most memorable answers came as songs on the radio that either I never heard before, or hadn't heard in quite a while and for whatever reason, I pay close attention to the words and they speak to me directly. It may sound crazy, but when you can see the end of your rope, you tend to put crazy in perspective.

He spoke directly enough that I have no personal doubts about his existence. But I am very much against preaching to those who have no interest. thanks for asking.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by network dude]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Ok. So far the majority of this discussion has been civil and a fascinating insight into both sides of the equation.

Lets keep it that way please.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

But God does talk back to you. What is amazing is to have a dialogue and you know that it's not you. The things he says aren't things your imagination would make up and they are not always things you want to hear.
One time a friend of mine set up a Hindu alter to bless the student's books. She invited me to add my childrens books and my textbooks and I was about to say sure, but a voice in my head, that was not me, said "for the Lord your God is a jealous God" so I didn't. He really seems to care about the things He says in the Bible that He cares about.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I very much do not doubt that both people who consider themselves to be "believers" and those who do not, have similar experiences in the course of life.

We just use different labels to describe things. What one person calls God, and another Allah, and another Higher Self, and another Ancestor, are most likely all the same thing. Even the person who professes belief in absolutely nothing can have reverence for life and a system of values that pay homage to a sense of higher good.

I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things what words we use, what rituals we do or don't do, what beliefs we profess; so much as how we live our life.

For me there is also an objective to discover and grow through my own personal journey.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

The atheist agenda is satanic in nature. This will no doubt raise giggles from atheists themselves, who like to think of themselves generally as intellectually superior to believers in God, but is true none the less.
Satan doesn't mind if a person believes in nothing, islam, evolution, buddism or anything else as long as it isn't the saving power of Jesus Christ.
Typically, the atheist will say that religion is man made nonsense designed to keep the population in check. Unfortunately they fail to see the real man made nonsense of big bangs, mutations causing beneficial advances rather than cancer, life from non-life and all the other fairytales for adults postured as evolutionary science. Most will have never studied the Bible.
People are entitled to believe what they like, but when atheists force such soul destructive beliefs on their children, it is nothing short of abuse.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by speakplain

The atheist agenda is satanic in nature. This will no doubt raise giggles from atheists themselves, who like to think of themselves generally as intellectually superior to believers in God, but is true none the less.
Satan doesn't mind if a person believes in nothing, islam, evolution, buddism or anything else as long as it isn't the saving power of Jesus Christ.
Typically, the atheist will say that religion is man made nonsense designed to keep the population in check. Unfortunately they fail to see the real man made nonsense of big bangs, mutations causing beneficial advances rather than cancer, life from non-life and all the other fairytales for adults postured as evolutionary science. Most will have never studied the Bible.
People are entitled to believe what they like, but when atheists force such soul destructive beliefs on their children, it is nothing short of abuse.

I have read the bible front to back around 50 times - at least, maybe closer to 100 times.

I have had extremely powerful religious experiences - where at the time I was sure it was the hand of God.

Since then - I have realized - that all power originates from me -the universe I see - is created by my own perceptions - regardless of my desires, the universe is what it is.

So it is with great enthusiasm that I proffer the God of the religious a challenge - regardless of their religion - I care not.

Strike me dead - if you have power.

I curse you god - your priests and servants I despise - I will rejoice to clean myself in the rivers of their blood. May your high places be broken down - and the corpses of your high priests heaped upon the stones - and a great fire devour stones and corpses and names - until nothing in memory remains.

I rebuke your arrogance to divine right from wrong, because you have no judgment - your vision is weak - and your mind is a chasm of foolishness.

I spit on your face - and despise your weakness and powerlessness. If you had power - then you would do something - but you are a pathetic vomit eating dog.

It is my power to divine the night from day - not yours - it is my power that sustains my flesh - not yours - you are like a worm which crawls upon the earth, your servants - as the dust of worms.

They may come - those pathetic and weak - and they will bind you - because your power is nothing - the broken in mind will mock you - the weak will rule over you - and the worm, whom all despise, will be your king.

I rebuke you - I spit upon you - I challenge you - come - visit upon me your power.

Ah - but you have none - spineless dog - and I will tread on you - as upon the dust - and your name will be struck out of memory of every book, of every mind - from every world - because you are the fools desire - and nothing more.

Some fool told me that in their heart - the atheist believes - but I do not - I rebuke the power of nothing - it rules over the minds of fools alone.

EDIT: I have heard enough of curses of eternal judgment of men - and lakes of fire.

These who believe in fantasies of thought - they resist the nature of men - and would suborn our minds to nothing - our ability to create all that we see - they turn to dust.

Man is of all nature - the closest to symmetry, and the mind of man will pierce the veil of night - and all things will become revealed to them

They despise knowledge who enslave themselves to evil thoughts of darkness - and bind their will to ignorance - to usurp the provenance of man - his entirety - his sublimity - his ability to create light from shadow, and turn all things to his will.

EDIT: Sure - Im drunk - but I care not - I despise a mind, broken with belief - with hope for naught - with conviction for naught - a great mind, of man - broken by ignorance - and not by chance, but choice.

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Amagnon]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It wont be to far a stretch of the religious mind to say

"Hey theres an awfull lot of bad things happening in the world... maybe it because of all the $%^'s and that other religion %^&*ing off my god living in my nation. Do you think i should murder them like you commanded in the old testament? O really?! cool god ill murder them right away! thats right god its not murder if it for a religious cause! your so smart!"

Just watch for it to happen. As science peels back the layers of the human mind and the structure of reality god will slowly evaporate and that alone will be enough for the christians and muslims to pain the town red with the blood of the infedels and unbelievers. They dont want to LIVE in a world without GOD.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

What would the motive be for Christians to push their beliefs on others? Why do I have to 'In God we trust' on my money as a constant reminder of how Christians enjoy pushing their views on everyone else?

Christians aren't exempt from pushing their views or converting others to their belief, so I suppose the point is... Who cares. I'll argue against your faith and you'll argue against some gap of knowledge in science, but in the end, it's you Christians who have been winning when you want something from your faith pushed on others or demand other faiths not brandish around their religious icons in public places while you demand the right to do so for yours.

More to the point, while I can't speak for all atheists I do speak for myself. The reason I talk to *anyone* of religious leanings is to understand the mentality behind believing in such a primitive thing without question. It just seems odd to me that someone who is religious can exclaim personal experience despite which God(s) they worship and yet claim that anyone else personal experience is wrong because only that one particular religion can possibly be the one true religion.

To top that off, we see an evolution of God or at least the concept of God. Some people have moved away from the biblical God choosing the Jesus God instead and now some are moving away from the Jesus God and choosing to redefine God in their own ways and yet... You all claim still that *your* versions are the only true versions of that one true God. The complete utter disrespect for and lack of logic and reason is what drives me to understand... *you*.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by speakplain

That post was 100% utter rubbish.

You must be badly brainwashed to actually believe anything you've written there.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by speakplain

The atheist agenda is satanic in nature.

I actually agree and here is why. Let's look at Lucifer's so called 'evils' against God. I can personally only find two actual evil acts committed by Lucifer. The first being a demand for being treated as equal and the second being the giver of knowledge. Of those two things committed by Lucifer, it has only been God who kills, murders and destroys things.

As for this being part of an 'atheist agenda', I see no problem with treating all of humanity as equals to one another and I see no problems with equally educating the whole of humanity either. I understand your God considers these things as evil, but we see no real harm being committed here. Equality and knowledge is not a direct causation of evil acts, but a God saying slavery is OK and stoning children is OK is a harmful act.

This will no doubt raise giggles from atheists themselves, who like to think of themselves generally as intellectually superior to believers in God, but is true none the less.

Well, technically this is true. Look at even the most intelligent of the God believers, most of their so called 'scientific' arguments are mostly encapsulated in gaps of knowledge. Meaning, that because scientists can't explain 'X' thing, then God must have been the creator of 'X'. As you can hopefully see, an argument like that is just completely devoid of any logic or higher thought process.

Your absolutely correct, Lucifer doesn't demand that one should worship him or anything regardless of it's message being good or bad. He simply has no opinion on the matter and can't even be quoted as having an opinion on it. God is the only one who demands absolute love and worship of him and him alone, or you suffer eternal damnation of your soul. How is Lucifer's view inherently evil?

Typically, the atheist will say that religion is man made nonsense designed to keep the population in check.

Look at the history of monotheism since that is your particular cup of tea. Your religious beliefs is relatively recent historically. It also borrows heavily from older belief systems and claim those older concepts are their own.

Unfortunately they fail to see the real man made nonsense of big bangs, mutations causing beneficial advances rather than cancer, life from non-life and all the other fairytales for adults postured as evolutionary science.

While I agree to a very small point, it is no more fanciful than believing in invisible bogeymen appearing out of nowhere and creating everything in sight. As we grow, develop and learn more about our universe and life itself we've discovered that a vast majority of ancient primitive beliefs are no longer true. For instance, we understand the water cycle of our planet now, but in the past our primitive ancestors prayed to the God of rain to wet their crops and they validated that God as being real because their prayers had been answered. Yet, I would bet my own life that you don't seriously consider a rain God as being real anymore than I consider your particular God to be more real than any other God.

Most will have never studied the Bible.

Neither you nor I can speak for most necessarily, but to counter your argument, I do own three bibles. I do study them and I do read them often as I like to learn more about your particular faith simply because it is the most dominate thanks to the bloody and violent history of your faith.

I understand your God demands not learning and only looking to him for the answers, but I would have to consider that listening to your God and stoning a child for being unruly is inherently more abusive than teaching them to have an open mind about all forms of beliefs. Teaching a child that only 'X' thing is true and that all other views will land you a one way ticket to eternal damnation is in my opinion much more abusive and damaging. Your not teaching your child any true values that will prepare them for real life where society at large is composed of many people with many differing views and opinions on everything.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by speakplain

I hope your a troll, but you seem to believe that. Those beliefs that you show are EXTREMELY frightening and why as an agnostic I try to push people away from suck extreme beliefs.

Those kind of beliefs are what have caused so much blood spill in the name of your 'loving and peaceful god'. Oh by the way most athiests I know have read the bible more than the christians I know.

A question for you in the bible it says things along the lines of there will be false prophets, how do you know your god (which shows evil traits i.e. jealousy, greed etc.) is not lucifer himself? Or that within parts of the bible that you believe is your god actually lucifer impersonating your lord?

Does your God not often contradict the loving nature of Jesus Christ, Jesus saying to love everyone equally and care for all, where as your God seems to enjoy bloodshed and discrimination in his name.

I myself am agnostic and if your God says knowledge is evil, I will NEVER accept it as my lord. Lack of knowledge leads to the manipulation by those with more (i.e. a dictatorship) maybe this is how your God wants it to be, maybe he likes us to be deluded into thinking he is powerful when in fact he is not. If you agree knowledge is evil, get off your computer, knowledge made that. Stop driving a car (or getting on a bus/train/plane), knowledge made them. Don't use medicine or doctors, knowledge produced them etc. etc.

Now as a philosopher, a God who condemns those who seek for proof, or believe other things and punishes those, for their ignorance NOT for a disobedience is completely immoral. Therefore meaning that logically no christian can claim this and still call their god loving and peaceful. It would be like holding a dog morally responsible for chewing a shoe, it knows no better.

EDIT: I would like to add something that science has proven, a little food for thought. Did you know that at the time of the bible (and the happenings in it) psychedelic mushrooms were eaten quite commonly? If I was to eat some and tell you I talked to god would you believe any 'prophecy' I had?

[edit on 22-10-2009 by Mattieon]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I very much do not doubt that both people who consider themselves to be "believers" and those who do not, have similar experiences in the course of life.

We just use different labels to describe things. What one person calls God, and another Allah, and another Higher Self, and another Ancestor, are most likely all the same thing. Even the person who professes belief in absolutely nothing can have reverence for life and a system of values that pay homage to a sense of higher good.

I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things what words we use, what rituals we do or don't do, what beliefs we profess; so much as how we live our life.

For me there is also an objective to discover and grow through my own personal journey.

you, my friend, have it. I believe as you do. None of us will know if we have the right idea until we croak. So there is no sense claiming any superior knowledge here, just have faith that what you believe is true to you. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamrock87
I think they're motive is that they want us all to be as hopeless and apathetic as they are. It's no fun being broody when everyone else is happy after all. And I'm tired of people blaming things are religion. "Religion is evil and makes people do bad things."

Atheists are not hopeless and apathetic. On the contrary, their beliefs most often arise from thorough reflection and the courage to fight the differing views of the majority. Some of us do not require a fairy tale ending to justify daily life struggles.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Actually friend, the green light was just given for stem cell research. It appears that the religious voice of "hindrance" has subsided and *ding*you are now free to move about the embryo harvesting facilities.

www.time.com...

Dec. 2 at 12:30 p.m. ET, when the government finally made available the first 13 stem-cell lines that researchers can study with federal funds. Researchers had been awaiting the announcement since March 9, when President Obama signed an Executive Order lifting the ban that former President George W. Bush had placed on government support of human-embryonic-stem-cell research. The previous Administration had restricted federally funded studies to only the dozen or so stem-cell lines that had been created before Aug. 9, 2001. The new policy allows scientists to experiment with any existing stem-cell line, regardless of when it was created, as long it meets specific criteria showing it was derived in an ethically and scientifically responsible manner.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
As a deist I understand a lot of what the atheists have to deal with when they are interacting with the bible thumpers.

Many bible thumpers can not tell the difference between a deist(believes in god but not organized religion) and atheist(does not believe in god or religion)

My beliefs are violated by bible thumpers all the time.

Along with being a Deist i also am a nudist and that in no way conflicts with Deism and there are many Deist that are nudist.

But with the bible thumpers the first thing they think is Deism is some kind of paganism religion because some of us are nudist.

Many bible thumpers believe that we must live by there rules.
www.deism.com...

Do deist recruit members.
No we do not have or try to recruit because we do not have a organized religion to recruit to.
Most new Deist are long time Deist that never had heard what Deism is and have held Deist beliefs for many years before we helped them put a name to it.
The only recruiting we do is tell interested people what Deism is and they are able to decide if that is what they are.

Some deists believe in Jesus Christ, while others do not. Most deists give regard to the moral teachings of Jesus.
Many of us who are Christian Deist use the Jefferson Bible.
as Thomas Jefferson was a Deist. so was Benjamin Franklin
en.wikipedia.org...
www.angelfire.com...

You wonder why there is freedom of religion and separation of church and state.
Benjamin Franklin, Ethan Allen, James Madison, John Adams, Thomas Paine.
and George Washington were ether openly deist or anti religious to the point they believed there should be no state religion and no religious connection between the state and the laws of the US.
articles.latimes.com...

Deism, a religious philosophy often associated with early American Freemasons, views God as a scientist who created universal laws but who does not interfere in the daily lives of individuals. Founding Fathers Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, James Madison, Thomas Paine, and Ethan Allen are all thought to have had Deist beliefs. Freemasonry also supported the rational mind and the exchange of ideas, two cornerstones of the Enlightenment.
en.wikipedia.org...

but don't connect deism with freemasonry as many deist do not want to be called Freemasons and many Freemasons do not want to be labeled deist.

www.deism.com...
www.moderndeism.com...

www.usnews.com...

[edit on 3-12-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
please don't turn this into a we are right because we believe thread. My intent is to understand why atheists think the way they do. I have a dog in this fight, so it does matter to me. Thanks in advance.

As an atheist I will try and tell you why i think the way I do. Like most in the UK I went to a Church of England school and went to church through my Primary years. It was more of a social thing when we were young.Small villiage, somewhere the parents and kids met.

I remember in infant school, being asked to describe God. I believed he was a man who sat above the clouds big white beard, sandal the works.

as I got older and started my real education and degree I was taught to question things, be critical of what is presented to me as fact, verify sources and back up claims.

So if someone said to me he had an invisible friend, that he sometimes talks to. i would ask for evidence. If no evidence can be provided apart from the persons description of the invisible person, I'm not going to believe them.

I am an unashamed skeptic, searching for the truth,

maybe one day, we will have some real evidence of a God (which one though?) and that would be an amazing discovery, but until I see some real evidence, it is the same as the person with the invisible friend. IMO

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
As an atheist i believe the belief of any sort of deity stems from early mans fear of the elements.

This was part of early mans evolution. By recognising trends in the environment, such as storms, seasons, hostile flora and fauna and noticing patterns within nature they developed traditions such as hunting, gathering and with this developed a communal system.

Early humans no doubt were terribly afraid of natures suprises and having no understanding of the universe, they could only relate it to their own selves and developing emotions.

With these elements came a learning curve, an awareness of time maybe, an awareness that although they had developed tools, they could not hope to protect themselves against the bare elements and nature. They grew suspicious of dark clouds (a reminder of the last storm) and superstitious.

With these superstitions came a belief (due to observed patterns) that somehow early man could keep the 'storm at bay' so to speak (by for example leaving an offering of food outside their cave) and VOILA the very first time the storm doesn't arrive.....

The early humans believe they have appeased something beyond their reality. Thus early gods were born, as tribes divided the beliefs changed and warped and conflicted....

Religions and temples were built and raised and many, many interpratations of what 'god' is circulated as early humans spread and evolved...

Thus i propose all religions are based on ancient paganistic beliefs.

The gods got fewer and fewer (as opposed to fifty different sun gods, they became ONE sun god) and then the gods of the sun and moon became other gods and so on and so on....

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by andrewh7

Originally posted by Shamrock87
I think they're motive is that they want us all to be as hopeless and apathetic as they are. It's no fun being broody when everyone else is happy after all. And I'm tired of people blaming things are religion. "Religion is evil and makes people do bad things."

Atheists are not hopeless and apathetic. On the contrary, their beliefs most often arise from thorough reflection and the courage to fight the differing views of the majority. Some of us do not require a fairy tale ending to justify daily life struggles.

I am just going this way to show that an Athiest in an argument immediatly has the advantage. It is the connection
to nothing. Nothing is hard to understand. Atheism is an Anti to others.
That is why there numbers are so low. I have no problem with those that are anti.
They help the rest of us confirm our faiths.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

"Atheist" redirects here. For the band, see Atheist (band).
Part of a series on
Atheism

Concepts
Religion · Nontheism · Antitheism
Metaphysical naturalism
Weak and strong atheism
Implicit and explicit atheism

History
History of atheism

Arguments
Against God's existence
Against atheism

Demographics
Atheism
Famous atheists · State atheism
Discrimination and persecution

Atheism portal · v • d • e
Atheism can be either the rejection of theism,[1] or the position that deities do not exist.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[3]

The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without gods", which was applied with a negative connotation to those thought to reject the gods worshiped by the larger society. With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to identify themselves as "atheist" appeared in the 18th century. Today, about 2.3% of the world's population describes itself as atheist, while a further 11.9% is described as nontheist.[4] Between 64% and 65% of Japanese describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or non-believers,[5][6] and to 48% in Russia.[5] The percentage of such persons in European Union member states ranges as low as single digits in Italy and some other countries, and up to 85% in Sweden.[5]

Atheists tend to lean towards skepticism regarding supernatural claims, citing a lack of empirical evidence. Common rationales include the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. Other arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to the social to the historical. Although some atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism,[7] rationalism, and naturalism,[8] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.[9]

In Western culture, atheists are frequently assumed to be exclusively irreligious or unspiritual.[10] However, religious and spiritual belief systems such as forms of Buddhism that do not advocate belief in gods, have also been described as atheistic.[11] end

Communists in large numbers are athiests for the most part.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join