It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So tell me how do you know YOU is you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hello all,

Just watched a very interesting episode of Horizion on UK television (Horizion, BBC2)

The program dealth with the issue "What is consciousness?" I found it very interesting and learnt things I haven't heard about before including the Command or Concept neuron Command Neuron

In tests it was proven that scientists will know 6 seconds beforehand what a participant is going to pick or choose in a given test. The 6 seconds period time was relevant to the individual but I still find it amazing that its possible to know what someone is going to do before they do it.

I would recommend anyone interested in psychology to watch this because it really was an eye opener. Link:

I don't have any specific aspect of the program to talk about, more over I would like to discuss peoples opinions on the facts and theories discussed in the program.

Unbelievable if you ask me, please share your thoughts.

[edit on 20/10/09 by Death_Kron]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I know me is me because me isn't you.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
ah yeah
you're you
i'm me
they're them
and thats us
where were we?

[edit on 20-10-2009 by MissMegs]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
what if a subject is highly unstable and random,are they smart enough in theyr theoryes to predict so well what he will do?

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I couldn't see the BBC program you linked to - evidently it's only avauilable to residents of the UK.

Our definitions of ourselves are in constant flux - our thoughts, our expectations, our world outlook, our experiences of both our outer and inner worlds. Even our bodies are in a state of constant renewal. The molecules comprising our physical being are used and replaced continually. We are waves of energy carrying a physical presence, and we are constantly changing. Deeper still is the possibility of parallel realities that give our experienced reality its perceived validity. We could be switching timelines with every deision we make.

I am not the same person from moment to moment, and neither are you. The one constant is the wave of energy that makes perceived reality coherent. That's the thread that makes me 'me.'

On a lighter note, here's how Arnie might tackle the dilemma:

Arnie's 'I'm Not You, I'm Me'

[edit on 20/10/09 by Evasius]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Rene Descartes said it best:

"I think; therefore, I am"

Just my 2-cents

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This is difficult to explain, but once, on an Ayahuasca journey I had the experience of something else, a "significant other" instructing my thoughts seconds before i had them and passed them along to my body or whatever for action.

For example to think "I will move my finger"; i was actually in a third person perspective and witnessing the command or instruction before it became a thought and my finger then moved.

At the time it scared the living daylights out of me, amongst other things.

Thks

Bravo

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bravo111

What you posted really caught my eye! I have heard and read of many substances, mostly "illegal" here in the US, that can alter someone's consciousness in a way we will probably never understand sober. And I'm not talking about the well known psychedelics most of us here know about. It's too bad ATS banned discussion on substances, but I can also understand because despite of the website's slogan, ignorance is hardly ever denied by many posters and I'm 99% sure there are plants on this site that divert the opinions and views of some using govt sponsored propaganda.

To the TS: Your question is actually a mind boggling and the only answer I have is this: We are all one and the same being, which is the Creator. There is no you and "others", per se, there is only one of us. You are you but you are also me and "others" at the same time. This of course is difficult to understand and many people will dismiss the idea as "too out there". I too have a hardest time understanding this concept of One because like everyone else I am influenced by peers, media, gov't and science. But I am at a point in my life where it really doesnt matter what anyone else believes, because I feel it's true, I know it is. Like being in love, noone can ever tell you that you are in love, you just know it, just feel it.

top topics

join