It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,000 Members in 24 hours.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Another record breaking day on ATS.

Most total registered members online all at once: 193 on Oct, 28 @ 15:02 GMT

Most registered users ever on ATS in one day: 1603 on Oct, 28 @ 15:12 GMT

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
We were all asleep at the switch!

Most registered users ever on ATS in one day: 1006 on May, 18 @ 02:09 GMT

1,006!

Wow

Good work peoples!

(Watch, in 3 months time that will seem like nothing.)

Isn't it better to have 6 intelligent, quality posting members than 1000 new trolls, troublemakers, or idiots? The point is, it's rarely about quality around here anymore as the focus seems to be completely on quantity.

It doesn't take a whole lot of work to fill a room with a bunch of ignorant people, but it does take work to educate or enlighten them as a means of maintaining good quality information.

Btw..What happened to DISC?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica The point is, it's rarely about quality around here anymore as the focus seems to be completely on quantity.
The habitual grouse zeros in on another item for negative contemplation. Certainly, as a community grows, so grows the signal-to-noise ratio. However, scale and critical mass matters most for many other items. Our interview with David Icke would never have happened without the critical mass of contributions. Our guest speaker, Stanton Friedman (an acclaimed UFOlogist) would never have honored us with his time without our status as it is. Our interviews with presidential candidates would never have been considered without the popularity of our community and diversity of opinion. You two with the mask avatars seem to focus on little else than finding fault and commenting. Rather than sit back and toss barbs about "quality" why not spend just a little more effort actually contributing to quality? It seems a much more productive passtime.
Also... another point... in the entire history of digital communities, dating back to BBS services and CompuServe, quality has always been (and will always be) what attracts and retains new members. Certainly, there will always be concerns over the totality of content -- however; stepping back to review how we grew, better-than-average quality certainly was a primary factor.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica

Isn't it better to have 6 intelligent, quality posting members than 1000 new trolls, troublemakers, or idiots? The point is, it's rarely about quality around here anymore as the focus seems to be completely on quantity.

I don't think it is fair to classify the majority of our members as trolls, troublemakers and idiots. Of course there will always be those deemed as such, and the more so the larger the population. But I would like to think that the fact that we are attracting such large numbers of people is because we are doing something right.

I will agree with the bell curve theory becoming more pronounced as more and more people join, however I would like to think that trolls and twits do not sit in the center of the spectrum.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac

I don't think it is fair to classify the majority of our members as trolls, troublemakers and idiots.

I honestly was not intending to classify the 1006 growth of members that Kano pointed out as troublemakers and idiots. I was trying to figure out why all the focus or attention or recognition was more on "how many" than quality productivity.

It seems greedy to be constantly making posts that rant and rave how many people have looked, read or joined this forum. And to me, greed leads to ignorance and then it's all back at square one. With all due respect, I do read some very good quality, informative posts here, so why not have more recognition where it matters...unless of course all that matters is how many people are joined up at ATS.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

You two with the mask avatars seem to focus on little else than finding fault and commenting. Rather than sit back and toss barbs about "quality" why not spend just a little more effort actually contributing to quality? It seems a much more productive passtime.

Also... another point... in the entire history of digital communities, dating back to BBS services and CompuServe, quality has always been (and will always be) what attracts and retains new members. Certainly, there will always be concerns over the totality of content -- however; stepping back to review how we grew, better-than-average quality certainly was a primary factor.

Not true at all. And sometimes finding fault is just seeing things for what they are and bringing it to the attention of those who *may* be missing the bigger picture. I don't actually find a great deal of faults with ATS as a whole. But I'm certainly not afraid to point out some things I do see here and there, whether they are good, bad or faulty. I like this forum, otherwise I wouldn't STILL be here. And over time I think I have contributed some quality information or input. And also, just because I point something out does not mean that I'm right or wrong, it simply means that atleast I care enough to bring what I see forward.

For your second paragraph thank you and I agree. And I appreciate you for taking time out to acknowledge and respond to my post

[edit on 10/28/04 by magestica]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Magestica... I can't see how greed plays into this for most of those who make these posts. However, pride is the obvious sentiment. I see nothing wrong with a little pride when it's well earned.

Also, I think that some may have taken offense at your comments because you tend to use condescending language. You DID make it sound as though 1000 of those 1006 that joined were trolls and idiots (whether you intended to or not), and you claim that these prideful posts are "ranting and raving". Not the nicest way to speak to and about others.

I think that this is generally an intelligent site with equally intelligent members, of course with (very) few exceptions. BTW, most of the news posts here on ATS are less about the elections and more about world events (mostly war and terrorism related I'll admit). Even if Kerry is elected, these issues will still exist.

Based on my personal experiences, ATS is way above average. Keep it up guys and gals.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
niiice job people...

lets keep up the good work...

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Isn't it better to have 6 intelligent, quality posting members than 1000 new trolls, troublemakers, or idiots?

It depends on who is deciding on what is intelligent versus what is idiocy, I would suppose.

Outright, NO, because that would be fairly boring and introspective, now wouldn't it? If you're looking to define intelligence based on your own closed-minded measuring stick, and then not allow any noise that doesn't pass your attenuator so that you can feel "good" about what you've decided to become entrenched in, I'm thinking ATS is not the place for you. Because it appears to be a community that wants as much input as it can get in order to see the big picture and account for all aspects of a given subject.

I don't understand the condenscending attitude...actually, I'm not sure how it even got justified.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall I don't understand the condenscending attitude...actually, I'm not sure how it even got justified.
I don't either. However, it seems to have become the default for members with white masks as avatars. Unproductive.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
Magestica... I can't see how greed plays into this for most of those who make these posts. However, pride is the obvious sentiment. I see nothing wrong with a little pride when it's well earned.

Also, I think that some may have taken offense at your comments because you tend to use condescending language. You DID make it sound as though 1000 of those 1006 that joined were trolls and idiots (whether you intended to or not), and you claim that these prideful posts are "ranting and raving". Not the nicest way to speak to and about others.

I think that this is generally an intelligent site with equally intelligent members, of course with (very) few exceptions. BTW, most of the news posts here on ATS are less about the elections and more about world events (mostly war and terrorism related I'll admit). Even if Kerry is elected, these issues will still exist.

Based on my personal experiences, ATS is way above average. Keep it up guys and gals.

Well I'm glad you see a little of what I was attempting to convey and that was the greed aspect of all these topics that point out the amount of members rather than the actual quality of what members apply to this site.
When I chose the words ranting and raving, I didn't choose them for niceness or to be condescending, I chose those words because they best described the entire topic and content of this type of post. I don't have an issue with people ranting and raving and praising themselves or patting themselves on the back, not at all.

What I think is more worthy of praise than the actual numbers is the content and involvement of members and people associated with this site. Research and quality input is much more impressive on an unsuperficial level than having the highest amount of people join up and possibly not even contribute at all. I do see a good amount of research and quality provided here on this site, however I don't ever see a post about that?! I only see posts like this one that are more focussed on the numbers-all the time.

That is what I was pointing out.

I'm very happy to read good, positive comments about ATS from members and moderators. But neutral comments should also be taken into consideration as well, instead of being considered negative or troublemaking. I see this happen a lot here at ATS. It's reminds me of the phrase"seeing life through rose coloured glasses all the time". Just because an observation isn't wonderful or positive does not mean that it is an intended to disrupt the peace, it's how someone deals with constructive criticism that may or may not stir the pot per say.

Anyway..
I didn't realise that your job was on the line. It's just another day in paradise for us all so carry on as you were and just forget that I might have been trying to add something that could be MORE beneficial to ATS than the sheer numbers!

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
You two with the mask avatars seem to focus on little else than finding fault and commenting. Rather than sit back and toss barbs about "quality" why not spend just a little more effort actually contributing to quality? It seems a much more productive passtime.

Not true at all. And sometimes finding fault is just seeing things for what they are and bringing it to the attention of those who *may* be missing the bigger picture. I don't actually find a great deal of faults with ATS as a whole. But I'm certainly not afraid to point out some things I do see here and there, whether they are good, bad or faulty. .

"Not true at all." Then you do what you say you don't do? Confusing message.

BTW, feel free to mention that you've been here longer than I have. Matters little.

I'm guessing you're up to the plate MA.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

It's just another day in paradise for us all so carry on as you were and just forget that I might have been trying to add something that could be MORE beneficial to ATS than the sheer numbers!

You seem to be creating a lot of drama for no reason. Is this the quality posting you are referring to?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Is this the quality posting you are referring to?

Here's some quallity posting. A kid that doesn't take #.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   

It's just another day in paradise for us all so carry on as you were and just forget that I might have been trying to add something that could be MORE beneficial to ATS than the sheer numbers!

I don't want to just forget ANYONE adding something benificial to ATS. I generally find most people have added to ATS as a whole. In some cases though, there are people that would rather jab with innuendo then actually be benificial.

Present post included.

I like to read others ideas and thoughts, but in a few cases...I must have blinked, because I missed anything postive that has come from their negative input.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica I was attempting to convey and that was the greed aspect of all these topics that point out the amount of members rather than the actual quality of what members apply to this site.
Nah... you were looking for an angle to grouse and raise hackles. I can't see how "greed" comes into play for a community with pride in its growth.

Originally posted by magestica When I chose the words ranting and raving, I didn't choose them for niceness or to be condescending, I chose those words because they best described the entire topic and content of this type of post.
Grousing. Plain and simple. Let's turn on the way-back machine and look at how you used to be: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by magestica on 2-11-2003 I usually..I repeat *usually* stay out of DRAMA's here(incase ya'll hadn't noticed) as there is plenty enough of that in my REAL, physical life.. One day the majority is pleased about our fine board here and the next there are complaints about dumb crap only the one posting really has any control over whatsoever..Noone can please this many people, heck it's difficult enough to please *one* If you don't like it here, do something, post something phenomenal, go somewhere else, get off your butt and go make a fricken conspiracy then come back and tell us about it. After 30 years I've learned that complaining is a horrible trait to have because in reality, it's the complainer who has the power to change things and make things less complainful(word?) This is OUR board, we make it what it is..not William, not Simon they only enhance things to draw attention to new members and keep us from feeling bored of the same ole same.. For crying out loud! IT is only a forum for discussions..why complain???? *I'll never understand..never*
(Sorry for the large quote people, I'm trumping the rule to make a point) I wonder why you're not following your own sage advice from that time almost one year ago?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I won't double quote here, but I have to ask...

is this even the same person? And I ask that from more than the public post perspective....I rely on more than that.

I am getting dubious...on top of aggravated!

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I did laugh because it's cute that you took time to search for something I posted previously in order to openly throw it back in my face. And also for providing written proof that I RARELY EVER post anything that isn't positive about ATS and the people who make ATS.

I meant what I posted back in November and I meant what I posted today. Possibly I should have worded my initial post today differently, but there is nothing I can do about that now. Apparently. I saw something that might enhance what ATS is truly about and I posted it.

IF my post was ridiculous, then I certainly don't understand the reaction it has caused over the course of several hours. Anyway, do what you will and do what you do best if it works for you, don't mind me if you think I'm such a grouse for posting ONE non-worshipful comment today.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica it's cute that you took time to search for something I posted previously
Nah.... the boolean search works well and fast. One query is all it took.

don't mind me if you think I'm such a grouse for posting ONE non-worshipful comment today.
As seems to be the case, evidenced by other comments here, it is the current habit of two members with white mask avatars to do little else than find opportunity to toss subtle barbs toward the staff of this rapidly growing and highly acclaimed online community. Very unproductive. It is what you make it after all.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I won't double quote here, but I have to ask...

is this even the same person? And I ask that from more than the public post perspective....I rely on more than that.

I am getting dubious...on top of aggravated!

There is no conspiracy. Nothing to be dubious or aggravated about, honest!
I'm not going to get circular on the issue. My intention may not have been fully clear in my first initial post on this thread, but subsequently, I made it as clear as I could. Just take what I wrote as face value or observation, or don't take what I say at all and move on to something far more important.

Sometimes it's better to not react if you're going to get all stirred up over one persons comment. I'll return to my cave peacefully now and hope the rest of you do the same...I apologise for causing such a disturbance and I promise to never again feed the grizzly bears

<< 1    3 >>

join