It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is political correctness to blame for lack of coverage over horrific black-on-white killings in Amer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Is political correctness to blame for lack of coverage over horrific black-on-white killings in America's Deep South? Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk

Columnist and right-wing blogger Michelle Malkin weighed in, saying: ‘This case – an attractive white couple murdered by five black thugs –doesn’t fit any political agenda.

'It’s not a useful crime. Reverse the races and just imagine how the national media would cover the story of a young black couple murdered by five white assailants.’

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... th-Tennessee-Channon-Christian-Christopher-Newsom-carjack.html#ixzz0U8PZnikG
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I've read similar articles articles here in the U.K in the past. Is the real reason for the lack of coverage because 'black on white murder' is a less ''sensational'' headline than 'white on black' because we all know that media sells on 'sensational' headlines and are not guided by morality. Or do they really think they would be deemed racist if they reported too much coverage of black on white murder?

www.dailymail.co.uk

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The media is full of people with "white guilt". I'm white and i have no guilt whatsoever for anything done by anyone else that happened to be white.

I didnt do it!

I have no guilt over things done in Germany. I didnt do it.

I also have no guilt for things done by muslims. Neither am i muslim nor did i do any of it.

ect.

The white man is the new pariah until the slack jawed "third worlders" knock us White European /descended off of the top. God knows we're the ones that are called for when things "break". Then they're screwed.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by felonius]

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Short answer? Yes.

Hate crime legislation is only applicable to white men.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This post is a day late and a dollar short, IMO, but still relevant. However, as a whole I already see society moving away from seeing things in black and white, and moving quickly towards religious or scientific. Trust me, spirituality will be the "new" racism.

edit to add: I'm so sorry i didn't stay on topic better! To comment on this I will say that In a newspaper, if it is a black on white crime that part is not usually (hardly eveer actually) sensationalized, where as if it is a white on black crime that part will be emphasized.
I think a little of it is white guilt as someone said, and maybe a little of it is the fact that we as a race are a little more willing to "eat" that part of the story so as not to inflame the situation more? I'm not sure, but I have noticed the trend.
I do wish that we as a country could speak more candidly about race, but we still can't hold a realistic dialogue on it without somone getting "called out" as a racist.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Enigma Publius]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yes, 'political correctness' is to blame for the lack of coverage..as well as the lack of courage.

The goal of the PC crowd is, of course, to constantly portray certain demographics as perpetual victims. And that can be hard to do when those said 'victims' suddenly become victimizers....

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Remixtup

i completely agreewith you there and here's why:

in highschool, i was kind of a pushed the envelope on certain issues, and going to a catholic school, this wasn't hard.

i somehow made a black student mad by walking past his group of people, i was immediately called out for trying to make them mad, and was called a cracker. being an adolescent male, i puffed up and started talking mess right back, he came back with what i was used to, white bread, cracker, the usual.

once i noticed there was little he would do other then talk, i started playing his game and said "you are nothing but talk, sitting here calling me cracker and sh*t, where if i were to call you n*****, i'd be in some serious crap."

just then, the dean walked up and i was promptly carted off. He did take time to get the story, and i was given a detention for using that word. (which by the way, i know is not an appropriate word to use, but was making a point)

well, i served my detention and all because i did break school rules, but afterwords fought to get this guy the same kind of punishment.

shorten up the story a bit, i was told by both my principle and dean that because he was black, i pretty much couldnt do anything. I asked what if he had hauled off and punched me, to which the dean shook his head and said, "if you used that word, regardless of the reason, our hands would be tied, not legally, but socially"

so yes. political correctness does get in the way. and i'd just imagine how bad it is for media.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I've read about this, but not at the time of the attack. It was only after the trial started that you even heard anything about it.

If this were a group of whites, you know they'd have been charged with a "hate crime" on top of everything else. Since it was blacks, you won't hear "hate crime" even mentioned.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.

I've read similar articles articles here in the U.K in the past. Is the real reason for the lack of coverage because 'black on white murder' is a less ''sensational'' headline than 'white on black' because we all know that media sells on 'sensational' headlines and are not guided by morality. Or do they really think they would be deemed racist if they reported too much coverage of black on white murder?

www.dailymail.co.uk

I think that yes they would be called racist. It's the same as black people calling me "cracker". If they want to make things equal they should start charging blacks with hate crimes the same as they do whites. I really don't see how its political correctness I think it's just the fear of being labeled a racist.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
White guilt didn't come about all by itself.
It did not arise from white folk looking at all the oppresion of the black.
It came about by the constant influence of the PC propagandist.
Sorry to say, that it worked so well that some whites did develope the prrescribed guilt.
The guilt was so well set that they looked for every oportunity to call their fellow whites "racists", as if somehow that absolves the guilt they feel.

There are those who look at publishing such a story saying that blacks killed whites is racist. That is why you often do not know the race of the perpetrator. It just isn't PC to mention it.

This in itself emboldens and encourages the blacks to behave even more violently.

It is past time to draw that "Line in the Sand" and say, "No more PC BS."
How about equality for everyone?
Or like they used to say in the old days, "What's sauce for the Goose is sauce for the Gander.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

I escaped from NOLA more than a year ago. If you are white in NOLA you are a RACIST. NOLA is 65% black ... 30% white ... 5% other. No matter what happens or has happened you are the "bad guy". Mayor "Candy Man [coc aine sniffing incident during Katrina]", "Mother Of All Storms [Gustave [I stayed and did not evacuate]]" Nagin vowed to recreate NOLA as a "choclate city". Interesting that the King of Mardi Gras [a white guy] stated that NOLA was a "vanilla city". I have lived in a number of large cities in the USA. My experience has been that blacks are the most racist group of people I have ever encountered. They even hate each other! If you really want to "annoy" them, tell them that: No matter what happens, when they wake up in the morning they will still be "one". One is now going to be the new "n" word.

I'm soon expecting to see this "pollitical correctness" bantered about on the MSM. 25 OCT 2009 is soon to be upon us. I have waded my way through the WebBot and TimeWaveZero threads. [Almost way too much BS to swallow in one gulp]. My fear is that somebody is going to do something really "stoopit" and there will be riots in the cities. A banking collapse would be much easier to survive because of its aparent lack or racial overtones.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Remixtup

I think you might want to make it the white "race"
We all know who runs the media and hence the Political Correctness.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark Savage Jr.

suddenly?
this hasn't happened overnight at all. But otherwise, you are spot on.. Is anyone willing to venture down my route that white folks as a race fon't want the race situation inflamed, so we don't bring up race as much even when it's appropriate? I know that I personally, when I point out the victimization of the white race,I get called a racist.
But that doesn't stop me, I have never let other peoples opinions influence my own unless I agreed with them somewhat.
But like I said, This really isn't going to be an important issue within 10 more years. The idea of any PURE race is going to be a joke by then, we will all be mutts, so the idea will be silly within that timespan. Better start thinking about how we will handle the scientific, logical new agers, and the dewy-eyed backpack bomber dreaming of 72 virgins after he does his "act of God"

We live in a peverse age where that man has old ideals mixed with new weapons that can kill thousands, not just dozens, it's a powder keg waiting to blow up, so really, we shouldn't be focusing on race anymore, it should take the backseat to this matter.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
You know it! I live in the Cleveland, OH area and there is no shortage of black on white crimes. However, there is a shortage of coverage. The only way to know that these events are happening is by reading the tiny print on page 53 of the Plain Dealer, or listening to AM radio. It's really quite pathetic.

I guess that's what I get for moving here...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The white race, as a whole, has never really accepted or taken responsibility for the way they've treated other people. Moreover, they have not acknowledged white privilege and the fact that oppression has been more beneficial to them than anyone else on the planet. Therefore, being "PC" as some of you may call it is the way some take responsibility (and to me it is a cop out). For the person who said something akin to starting to charge blacks with hate crimes, what rock have you been living under? Blacks have been charged with hate crimes and here is an example:

www.portlandtribune.com...

Now let me make this perfectly clear since my experiences on ATS prove many people here read and comment without thinking critically. A white guy killing a black guy should not be labeled a hate crime simply because the victim was black. The same holds true if the victim was white and the perp was black. The elements of the crime should determine how the crime is charged not me, not you, not the media, no one.

No, it is not good for race relations or society when you cite instances of violence of one group but not mention what the other is doing. It does nothing but stir racial hostilities and create situations where the cycle repeats itself. However, you have to look at black people and stop telling them to "just move one", "sweep it under the rug", "I'm not responsible you're responsible for yourself" and any other half-baked lunacy you can dream of. You think you're being ignored and have limited coverage, but this is only a recent fad. However, blacks have been ignored for CENTURIES and, sadly, this is something many of you do not want to address.

In closing, use this situation to create positive talks about race relations and then impliment whatever was learned so it creates a better place for your children and their children. Don't, however, use this situation to peddle your own agenda (like leaders on both sides) or to sit around like a group of flunkies that are patting themselves on the back and giving each other stars...

[edit on 17-10-2009 by EMPIRE]

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

The white race, as a whole, has never really accepted or taken responsibility for the way they've treated other people.

Excuse me?

How can you expect ANY race to do ANYTHING as a "whole? We're all individual people, responsible for our own individual actions. No race as a whole has ever done ANYTHING! You are stereotyping whites as being racist, plain and simple. And that, in fact, is RACISM.

Blacks aren't the only ones who have been slaves. Jews arent the only ones who were killed in Nazi Germany. But that's all we ever hear about!!

Why do you think that is?

[edit on 17-10-2009 by mostlyspoons]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I was hoping to get something more recent than 2002, but this will suffice.
Let's play with statistics, shall we?

1,916,380 Black on White Crimes
1,689 White on Black Hate Crimes
Ratio 1134:1

[edit on 17-10-2009 by SpookHunter]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Sorry but this opinion column is weak!

how about we talk on a more global scale shall we?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mostlyspoons

Excuse me?

You're excused.

How can you expect ANY race to do ANYTHING as a "whole?

It's easy. You free your mind and the rest will follow. In other words, you make the effort to reach out and rectify the situation your people caused and you don't tolerate those hwo would hinder progress. Contrary to what you believe, or what you may want to think, you benefit from the problem and in some cases, don't even realize you benefit from it.

We're all individual people, responsible for our own individual actions.

Everything I said in my last post was true. From people not knowing how to critically read to people saying, "I'm not responsible you're responsible for yourself." No, contrary to what you believe, in this case you are either directly or indirectly responsible for the actions of others because you are the main beneficiaries of systematic racism and institutional deviance.

No race as a whole has ever done ANYTHING!

It doesn't matter. See above.

You are stereotyping whites as being racist

You're a liar relying on fallacies to hide the fact that you lack the cognitive skills required to critically read my post. In no way am I stereotyping whites as being racist. What I am saying is White America has white privilege and has never taken full responsibility for the actions commited against others. No, you may not have directly commited the acts but if you benefit from it why not address it? Moreover, where is your compassion as a human being? If I knew my brother wronged someone, or my grandfather wronged someone, I would never stand bold and tell the person wronged that, "I didn't do it I'm not responsible.", especially if I benefit from the actions of the offending party.

And that, in fact, is RACISM.

No, that is not racism. Less typing, more reading please...

dictionary.reference.com...

You went and edited your post so I'm going to address the other parts:

Blacks aren't the only ones who have been slaves. Jews arent the only ones who were killed in Nazi Germany. But that's all we ever hear about!! Why do you think that is?

You may refer to previous comments about who benefits more. In regards to the Jews, there are laws pertaining to holocaust denial (unjust in my opinion) but jews recieved compensation for the holocaust. Blacks have basically recieved nothing even remotely similar to what Jewish people have recieved. If all you ever hear about is black slavery and the holocaust I suggest you do as I say and spend less time typing and more time reading. Broaden your horizens, look at the plights of others, and I assure you that you won't simply hear about the two groups and situations you mentioned.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpookHunter
I was hoping to get something more recent than 2002, but this will suffice.
Let's play with statistics, shall we?

1,916,380 Black on White Crimes
1,689 White on Black Hate Crimes
Ratio 1134:1

[edit on 17-10-2009 by SpookHunter]

I don't know where you got that from but here are the hate crime stats for America.

www.fbi.gov...

By Race

An analysis of available race data for the 7,330 known hate crime offenders revealed that:

■58.6 percent were white.
■20.6 percent were black.
■5.7 percent were groups made up of individuals of various races (multiple races, group).
■1.1 percent were Asian/Pacific Islander.
■1.0 percent of known offenders were American Indian/Alaskan Native.
■12.9 percent were unknown.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join