It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What role has religion played in your life ??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I've always believed in God and have always had faith but I’m going to take it a step further and get closer to my god. I’m going to start going to church and make religion a part of my life. No I’m not going to go around preaching the word of god and shoving religion down other people’s throat because I think that is a big reason why some people don’t find a reason to get closer to their god. I have learned god is something or someone that even if you don’t believe is a physical being it can still give people great hope and great strength. So now I ask what has part has religion played in your life ??

[edit on 15-10-2009 by letspreadtruth]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by letspreadtruth

Glad you have joined ATS and are learning to know HIM....OT's prayin for ya!!!!

S&F 2...

OT

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Thankyou very much OT.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Belief in God and a close walk with Jesus has made me happier, more peaceful, a better father and husband, a better person, has allowed me to grow as a person, odddly enough it has made me more accepting of people of different faiths, beliefs, and lifestyles.
Knowing what the Bible says about endtimes, which I believe we are living in, has made me a better provider for my family, has made our family stronger and more prepared for the things that are happening all around us.
When you know how it all "ends", it makes it easier to go through these troubled times.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Im very glad to hear that, I always remember how nice and how everyone seemed at peace when I went to church. Its a great feeling, its a feeling I want back into my life. Also what makes you think the end of times is comming ??

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Since i was young my parents forced me to go to church weekly.

around 4th grade i decided the thought of god was preposterous

for awhile i tried to believe in god because i was deeply depressed, it didnt work.

my family has disowned me after i told my parents i was didnt believe in god...

i havent spoken with them in a few years, as they refuse to speak to me....

how is religion affected my life??

well because of religion i no longer have a loving family............

"is god willing to prevent evil, but not able? then he is not omnipotent. is he able, but not willing? then he is malevolent. is he both able and willing? then whence cometh evil? is he neither able nor willing? then why call him god?" -Epicurus

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by thunderabove

Im sorry to hear about all of this, I have a few questions if you dont mind. Why did your family leave you, was it because you didnt believe in god ?? And have you tried a different religion ?? I was raised a catholic and went to a few catholic churches and I didnt feel the connection but when I went to a christian church the people were great, they had this peace about them.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by thunderabove

Sounds like you have more going on at home than RELIGION...yes, you do, and OT's sorry...

Please listen to the truth here:
www.tonycampolo.org...

Maybe it will give u some perspective my young friend, pls hang in there, OK?

OT

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

So now I ask what has part has religion played in your life ??

It has enabled me to see the light..!

Not the proverbial 'light at the end of the tunnel', or some fake moment of nirvana that guided me to a ball and chain for the rest of my life...

I'm talking about waking up and seeing things for what they are - religion is a tool to control the masses...nothing more, nothing less.

You may find comfort being surrounded by other like-minded individuals, but don't you find that rather dull..?

Throw down the shackles that bind you to a false ideology, and find solitude within yourself - hell, call yourself god if it helps...

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You asked, I'll tell, but I will not entertain any questions or comments regarding my views.

If it wasn't for the insidious incorporation of the basket passing, during, and not before or after, I may have gone to church more often.
That was the beginning of my lack of faith in the religious institutions.
Among other reasons, I do not go to church, and I don't believe in churches, except those that help people directly.
A church for religion's sake is nothing of the kind to me.
How can religious institutions (hold) so much wealth while their flocks suffer to the last?
I find more peace, solace and connection to my beliefs when I'm alone.
I don't pray in view of anyone else, or for their sake.

I believe in GOD, but not how the church says I should.
It's not their place to tell me either.

I really don't want to get into the whole philosophical argument over it, but religion does not play that big of a role in my life.
However, the creator,(GOD) and spirit do.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

I'm talking about waking up and seeing things for what they are - religion is a tool to control the masses...nothing more, nothing less.

Why do you say that ?? Why cant someone believe in god but also be open minded ?? Why cant religion be something people have to guide them in tough times ??

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

First off, Id like to thankyou for sharing your views and I will also respect that you dont want for anyone to ask questions about your views. I'd also like to say although I dont agree with how some people sing stuff like i am not worthy etc etc thats not going to stop me from believing.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
"Religion" as in having to go to church every week has played a mostly negative role in my life. However, my Faith is the only reason I'm still alive. For those of you who wonder what that is, I am a Christian. But I'm not like most Christians, it's hard to explain.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HarvestMoon

Well if youd like to explain id love to listen : )

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well I grew up going to catholic schools but my family never really went to church and I dont really belong to any one faith, allthough I hold christianity close to me.

I believe in god, yes absolutely but I wont tie myself to any particuler tag as there are things I disagree with and other things I believe in aswell.

It has played a big part in my life and has deffinately shaped who I am today.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by valiant]

[edit on 15-10-2009 by valiant]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by valiant

I believe in god, yes absolutely but I wont tie myself to any particuler tag as there are things I disagree with and other things I believe in aswell.

Thats a great point. Thanks for the insight.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Neither organised religion or spirituality has played any part in my life at any stage .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Organized religion has played mostly a negative role. I was raised Catholic and over time I am not a pagan. Since meeting the goddess I have improved my life vastly. Walking with her seems to keep me terribly humble and I appreciate her in my life.

-Kyo

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

"Religion" is a highway to hell, Jesus Christ wants to have a PERSONAL relationship with you. "Religion" is a man-made way of dos and don't et cetra, justification is by faith alone, religion teaches man to do faith + works.

We are to worship God every day of our lives in spirit and in truth, what the apostles and first century Christians did was simply meet 1 day a week, usually the first day of the week to break bread and have Christian fellowship with one another.

Concentrate solely on building your personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. "Religion" has never saved a single soul and never will, look at the thief on the cross, he never paid tithe, took part in communion, was baptized, went to confession, promised to turn from his sin, all he simply did was acknowledge Christ was Lord and asked Him to remember him when he went to the father.

Concentrate on your personal relationship to Jesus Christ alone, by no other way are you saved, and by no other way can you please God. God sees all our works as "filthy rags" done for self-gratification. Salvation is by faith alone "so that no man may boast".

[edit on 16-10-2009 by NOTurTypical]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
" highway to hell "

I thought that was acdc??
No religion isn't a highway to hell, true religion is pure peace and only brings you closer to God.

I believe In communion. Christ set it up and the prophets talked about it throughout the bible.. it's the new sacrafice predicted to spread throughout the world.

and I know what I have felt from it personally. He literally enters you.

Everything is a religion. We misinterpret what religion means. Everybody, religious, non religious, communist, they are all religious to their certain doctrines.

But on to the OP..

Man you are one sincere soul, and trust me, the vultures will eat you alive, nomatter how loving you come off, how sincere, some only see hate so expect those responses in here.

As for me, religion has helped me greatly, because I actually believe in it. This is the thing. you have to believe in it or God will consider you faithless.

and because I beleve it like the saints, I have seen many miracles that come from my faith, instant miracles, huge miracles...

without real faith you cannot please him OP...

Don't see it as something that makes you happier. See it as a real belief that becomes proof not just faith...

I used to think I was a vampire. I was Godless before I knew about Chirst. Didn't share food, always rough, ungentle alot of times, threw pencils at my mothers head when mad... beat my cats sometimes.. Cursed alot... Threw rocks at peoples cars for fun and heads.. more like stones..

I was lacking real grace... real love. Christ gave me that. I aint gonna pretend that i grew up (perfect) or without defects..
nobody on this planet grows up withot defects...

Unless you learn pride as a kid and it follows you throughout life..

Christ literally turned me around completely...

not me.. Because when I was a kid, I didn't learn love, and didn't have alot of it, it came from christ.

So that's me OP..

Gid bless you!!!!!! you're wesome soul...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join