It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breathalyzer tests coming to MA high school!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
When I first saw the headline I was thinking, maybe during prom or something, but no! They want to do this during regualr school hours.

Some Massachusetts high school students will soon be subject to alcohol breath tests at school.

So basically teachers who have probably been train for a an hour on this breathalyzer machine can hold your future in their hands! How far will they take the assaul on our childrens civil liberties?

www.walb.com...

[edit on 11-10-2009 by crw2006]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
It is a civil liberty for a child to be able to go to school drunk? School is a lot different than it was when I was growing up.
Seems the test would be definitive proof, rather than just suspending a student based on them acting drunk.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Here's a couple key words to think on:

Cough Syrup, and revengeful teacher. I'll bet a body part somehow, these words will be used in a future article about that program.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

I had lots of misfit friends.

All I will say is that drunken students are the least likely. They should be checking for another influence.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
They're teenagers, they're going to do stupid things. I, and many people I know, did stupid stuff growing up and we are now all productive members of society... you have to let kids make mistakes IMO without destroying their entire future (which is what this will do).

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

Getting suspended for a couple days destroys their future?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i think instead of hiring teachers you should just hire forensics experts to analyze the childrens behaviour without teaching them anything...

WHO CARES if a student is drunk/stoned/high whatever... some people simply learn better when stoned. some people just don't want to learn - and will never be interested in learning... school should absolutely not be mandatory, but nobody of any age should be denied school if they so wish to go.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

I am sorry. My children have made a lot of mistakes when they were and some still are teenagers. However, more importantly they have to learn to live with the consequences.

Kids should not be drunk at school and it's not a civil right to be protected from such things in an environment that I as a tax payer fund. I don't want alchohol in my schools.

Students who seem drunk should be tested, it's not a bad idea.

Now the cough syrup thing, well ofcourse there is always that factor, but nothing is perfect now is it?

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sacrosanct

I disagree. An education is the most IMPORTANT thing in a democratic free, capitalist based society.

School should ALWAYS be mandatory for all children under the age of 18, after that you are an adult, but until them, your only responsibility is to learn.

It's a damn good deal.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I don't disagree - but who are we to force children to learn? Education is certainly a very important thing in this day and age... but if a person wishes to live without an education they should be allowed to.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sacrosanct

At the expense of the rest of society? That's what non educated folk create you know. They use the rest of society as a crutch to get them through life.

If we were a little more serious about education, any problem from street crime, STD's to political corruption would see a sharp decrease since an educated population would have a better handle on things and a half educated population that we see today.

Edit to add: As for who we are. Educated, responsible adults, who are planning for future generations.

~Keeper

[edit on 10/12/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Wont happen. The only reason you can't refuse a breathalizer as a driver is because you agree to it when you sign for your license. No such agreement is made to be at school. Therefore, this wont stick.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Wont happen. The only reason you can't refuse a breathalizer as a driver is because you agree to it when you sign for your license. No such agreement is made to be at school. Therefore, this wont stick.

Do you believe teenagers are that aware of their rights? I'm a teenager myself - I don't even know my full rights. I know my BASIC rights, but usually if a cop asks me questions I get too scared to think about denying anything. That's because I'm a stoner though and I'm just scared I'll get hauled off to some grimy ass jail overnight for doing something that don't hurt nobody, nowhere. except maybe myself but whatever. Luckily, I've only ever been in trouble with the law twice so I consider myself lucky.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sacrosanct

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Do you believe teenagers are that aware of their rights? I'm a teenager myself - I don't even know my full rights. I know my BASIC rights, but usually if a cop asks me questions I get too scared to think about denying anything. That's because I'm a stoner though and I'm just scared I'll get hauled off to some grimy ass jail overnight for doing something that don't hurt nobody, nowhere. except maybe myself but whatever. Luckily, I've only ever been in trouble with the law twice so I consider myself lucky.

Thats just it though-people need to learn these rights! Knowledge is power.

Its very easy to be scared of your government-but never forget, the reason they do these things and try to keep you uninformed is because THEY are scared of YOU.

top topics

join