It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If guns didn't exist in the world

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
If there wasn't any guns in the entire world, it would be harder to fight wars. No one would fear getting shot in the back! Less crimes would be commited. I know this is just a hollow dream, but I'd like everyone just to imagine what it'd be like if we didn't have guns.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by emosun16]

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by emosun16

If there were no guns in the world we would be using swords.

Or spears. Or axes. Or knives.

You'd have to worry about a very painful death is what you would have to worry about.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Okay, instead of no guns, how about no weapons?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

If there wasn't any guns in the entire world, there would be no war.

There were wars before guns were invented. Guns do not cause wars. People cause wars. So with your theory, get rid of people, get rid of wars

Okay, instead of no guns, how about no weapons?

Anything can be used as a weapon - even a rock.

Again, objects do not cause wars. People cause wars.

[edit on October 11th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
if there where no guns i guess there would be more people and no wars. but we still would be fighting as we are humans and we have that in us we would just be using something diffrent and dieing slower

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Then we would be beating each other to death and stabbing each other with dear antlers and braining each other with rocks, impaling each other with sharpened sticks.

It not the lack of weapons that are the factor for a world utopia, it is an extinction of pointless aggression that is needed for such a dream to become a reality.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
"Angels on the sideline,
puzzled and amused.
Why did Father give these humans free will?
Now they're all confused.

Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden
has enough to go around?
Plenty in this holy garden.
Silly monkeys,
where there's one you're bound to divide it,
right in two.

Angels on the sideline,
baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason
and this is what they choose?

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey
over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys,
give them thumbs they forge a blade
and where there's one they're bound to divide it,
right in two.

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey
over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys,
give them thumbs they make a club
and beat their brother down.

How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability
to live tonight in heaven,
conscious of his fleeting time here.

Cutting it all, right in two.

Fight over ground, over earth, over sky.
They fight over life, over blood, over air and light,
over love, over some, over none.
They fight or they die, Over what?
Over writing!

Angels on the sideline again,
Benched along with patience and reason.
Angels on the sideline again,
Wondering where this tug of war will end.

Right in two!

Right in two. " - James Maynard

It wouldn't make a difference.

[edit on 10/11/2009 by JPhish]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
if there were no guns...what would i shoot?!!?!?!?

im thinking without guns we would probably have some far more gruesome killing machine.

like a throwing knife launcher accurate up to half a mile or something.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

Hell yeah.

to the op. We live in a physical world.. tell chuck norris he ain't a weapon. He doesn't care if you have a gun or not.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JPhish
[more

Absolutely one of the best pieces of music written.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

We'd use swords.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

WHAT???

Look at what life was like BEFORE guns were invented. It's the person who is pulling the trigger that decides to murder/rob/rape et cetra, not the gun.

The only thing that would be different in your world is no deaths by guns, they would be by swords instead.

Did you blame your spelling mistakes in High School on your pencil?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I imagined it and the first scenario that came to mind were the scenes in the movie Braveheart... There has been "war" from the beginning, I (sadly) don't see it ending soon...

I agree with the others, it's not weapons that cause violence and war... but I suspect you already know that and so the real question is; how do we stop violence and war?

Wish I had the answer to that one...

[edit on 11-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
As others have basically suggested to learn what the world would be like without guns - buy a book on ancient world history and read it.

Wars, fights deaths and battles would still abound - they certainly did in the ancient world when there were no guns. People were killing each other with sticks, rocks and fists before metal was even discovered.

The only way to stop war and bloodshed between people is to change human nautre.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
If we shot our guns until we ran out of ammunition, we'd use them as clubs.
If our clubs broke, we'd turn to sticks.
If we ran out of sticks, we'd turn to rocks.
If we ran out of rocks, we'd turn to our fists.
If our fists were so torn and bloodied, we could no longer punch, we'd throw ourselves at each other.

And if all else fails, we can still throw insults.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Guns cause wars in the same way that forks cause obesity.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It is a part of nature that every animal tries to survive. It is also a part of nature that in order to survive, every creature must consume other life, be it animal or plant.

It is also a fact that certain species are more susceptible to using violence in order to acquire food. Primarily, this violence is an inherent quality of those we call predators. Such creatures will always use violent means in order to survive, as long as they remain predators.

That's just nature, and it is not subject to ideology, legality, or politics. Nature, like physics, transcends such.

Humans are an inherently violent species. We are predators, although technically omnivores rather than carnivores. That, however, is not the only thing that is unique about our species; we are also capable of forethought and reason. It is this trait that I believe leads to our problems with societal violence.

Instead of competing to survive, we compete to 'win'. While one may walk calmly past a satiated lion in relatively little danger, a human will seize an opportunity to provide for the future. We hoard; we try to improve our lot in life by placing ourselves in a position of superiority to others; we search for pleasure, even when such pleasure comes at the high price of hurting others in our own species. Such is the nature of the human animal.

War is a logical extension of such traits. And in the broadest sense, war can be applied to more than standing armies; a simple crime of violence can be thought of logically as a small war. A burglar robbing a house is at war with the owner of the things he steals, in order ot provide for himself at their expense. A rapist is at war with his victim, in order to acquire a feeling inside himself at the victim's expense. The guy racing down the highway at ridiculous speeds is at war with those around him, in order to conserve his time at their possible expense.

The man who shoots another human is definitely at war with his victim.

The gun as a choice of weapon is simply a matter of efficiency and convenience. In its most basic form, a gun is nothing more than a way to launch a projectile. It is not the fact that a projectile is launched that does the damage; rather it is the direction and intended usage of that projectile that becomes dangerous. Before guns, there were swords. Before swords there were knives. Before knives, there were spears. Before spears, there were sharp sticks. before sharpened sticks, there were clubs. Before clubs there were rocks. Before rocks there was teeth.

There will always be weapons. It is possible to kill another human with a plastic dinner fork. It is possible to do extreme damage to another human with a car key. It is possible to murder in cold blood with an ink pen or pencil.

Should a law be passed tomorrow that made every gun in the world illegal, and if a massive effort were to be undertaken to round up all the guns in the world, and if that effort would succeed, there would still be guns. I have the capability right now to make a gun from pieces of steel. It might not be an AK-47, but it could use gunpowder to launch a projectile: a gun.

Taking away my tools would not work either. I could create new tools to build a less advanced gun without my present tools. Now multiply that by 6 billion people, all who have the capability to do the same thing, and you have an impossible task to remove all guns, much less all weapons.

The same tools that make a gun can also moake a car, a TV, a computer case, a robot, or a home appliance. Banning tools equals banning all the modern conveniences of society, even if it could be done. It would mean no more homes with climate control, no more electronics, no more transportation (unless one rode another animal), no more refrigeration, no more stores... it would mean no more society.

And all that would do nothing to prevent sharpened sticks, or clubs, or rocks, or teeth....

No, the only way to reduce abuse of weapons is to reduce the perceived need to use them. That can be accomplished by giving people the opportunity to provide for themselves within the bounds of civilized society (as in via a good-paying job or the opportunity to have their own business) or it may be accomplished by making the abuse of weaponry counter-productive to survival (as in making it easier for people to protect themselves from would-be criminals). Both of these attempts are difficult due to the politics of control of others; the former because our present society is at the mercy economically to greedy politicians, and the latter because the weapons are blamed for the problems rather than the true source of the problem: an imbalance of power.

More guns (in law-abiding hands) = less crime. That is a proven fact, proven time and time again by different local societies. It is no accident that the same areas of the US which have strict gun laws are the same ones which have the bulk of gun crime. Rural areas, on the other hand, typically are areas where almost everyone has a gun, yet the crime rates are far far lower than in the former example.

I close with a statement once told to me by a friend:

Your will is your weapon; your gun is your tool.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
If we shot our guns until we ran out of ammunition, we'd use them as clubs.
If our clubs broke, we'd turn to sticks.
If we ran out of sticks, we'd turn to rocks.
If we ran out of rocks, we'd turn to our fists.
If our fists were so torn and bloodied, we could no longer punch, we'd throw ourselves at each other.

And if all else fails, we can still throw insults.

Kind of like the black night in Monty Python's Holy Grail

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
[edit on 11-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join