It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I want a recall. I think the Teleprompter should have won.

What a crock of #!!

Wow, now he is in the same league as Arafat and Jimmy Carter.

Priceless!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I have to state beforehand that my opinion about this has nothing to do neither with my general political orientation nor with my take on president Obama:
to me, it looks like some rushed, premature decision:
while they mentioned "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples", i thought that also some facts were needed to get a nobel peace prize, not just efforts: but honestly, i don't know the criteria on which they base their decisions: what i know for sure is that more than once their decisions were questionable to say the least ( List of All Nobel Peace Prize Laureates ): if i'm correct even George W. Bush got a nomination, once

One thing that we have to consider is that they don't even look at U.S. (nor any other Country's) internal politics: for example, here in Europe whenever Obama is mentioned it's almost always because of some meetings with other leaders, or statements about international issues, or Iraq/Afghanistan related issues, or some funny scenes like the fly catch during the interview, or when he was a guest on David Letterman's Late Show, stuff like that: now he's being mentioned because of his plan in Health Care, as it has been mentioned after the crisis-related events: of course it's also depending on the Country (in Italy we have one of the worst MSM systems in the world, but I read also newspapers from other countries: what i'm trying to say is that from the outside one will always have some partial, incomplete view, but at the same time he has more chances to judge someone in some unbiased way.
Maybe they did it in order to encourage him on the way of promoting peace, as if to say "here's your prize, now do something to deserve it": but as said, these are just my first thoughts, i could be completely wrong.

[edit on 9/10/2009 by internos]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
let's see:

OSLO (Reuters) – U.S. President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for giving the world "hope for a better future" ...

[...]
The Norwegian Nobel Committee praised Obama for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." ...

in a longer statement i seen on 'MarketWatch'..
the statement noted how Obama galvanized the people (voters) with the above 'Hope' & vision of a better world....

come-on now, what's the Nobel prize committee going to do when Obama in tandem with Israel, launches the attacks on the Iran nuclear facilities in the near future.

come-on now, the Nobels' will look like dillwads when investigations lead to the knowledge that ACORN was instrumental in 'galvanizing' the voting public, (galvanizing to include seedy tactics & gifts to voters that are not actually under tombstones, etc) & not so much the 'Hope' & 'Vision' euphanisms of the campaign.

Yup, the times they are a changing...

~I just had to ADD this thought ( i'm afraid the two stars were before i typed this ADD on thought...)

...in my eyes he won the prize not on substance but on Platitudes !

[edit on 9-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
I don't get it.

Why in the Heck would he receive that prize?

Internos, thank you for your input. And you are right, this prize has little to do with the internal affairs of US. The prize is about this planet called EARTH, not USA.

Personally I am both happy and very proud that my country has awarded Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. Obama has given the world a hope for change to the better. I think the prize is well deserved.

I don't think you will find any politicians or officials in Norway who would say this in in public, but there is no doubt in my mind that this award also is a kick in the but and a message to president Bush. Do Americans have any idea how SCARY Bush was to the rest of the world? Do you have any idea what a RELIEF it was when you guys finally managed to elect someone with a brain?

Bush was VERY much disliked, at least by people here in Scandinavia. People had NO respect for him AT ALL. He came across as this shallow, clumsy and not very bright man, completely controlled and manipulated by some really creepy, evil charachters around him. It was like ANYTHING could happen with this man in the White House. Anything bad. And bad things sure did happen...

Like a war in Iraq. What was the reason for that war again..? Oh, someone didn't care too much about the truth, did they? And how many young American men and women have lost their lives in that war again..? How many men, children and women all together? Oh, and that American economy thing, THAT sure didn't go to well, did it..?

Bush and his administration brought fear, stupidity and mistrust to the world. Fear, stupidity and mistrust opens up for hate and war.

Obama brought hope to the world. Hope opens up for collaboration, understanding and PEACE. THAT is the reason he was given the Nobel Peace Prize.

Congratulations, president Obama. As a Norwegian citizen and tax payer this prize is from me too. I am proud to give it to you, and welcome to Oslo!

(Oh, and to spare some of you a good, long rant: Yes, I am a leftie and proud of that too.
But feel free to flame me anyway. It's not like it is going to make me change my political standpoints.)

[edit on 9/10/09 by ziggystar60]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The Nobel Peace Prize like all the Nobel Prizes comes with a big fat check!

This is just the Powers that Be funneling money to him and padding his resume with more hollow "I showed up and was there, kind of sort of" accomplishments.

Not only has Obama not done one qualifying thing to win the Nobel Peace Prize...

I hear he is a cold blooded fly murderer!

What a world.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
We're a stone's throw distance from having a full-fledged war with Iran, presumably a World War 3 considering the repercussions of such an event. A war very much sponsored by the United States of America and it's fledgling Israel. A United States of America "led" by President Obama, who just received the Nobel Peace Prize.

How do you win a peace prize if you're about to go to war... Another war mind you, considering we have two wars happening right now. One war, in Afghanistan where they are going to increase the troop levels by 40,000... Fortay-Thousaaaand.

Maybe it's time we start looking into the antichrist theories again.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by the titor experience

Oh man, I saw that when I woke up an hour ago and I'm pissed. The flipping guy hasn't actually *done* anything. He only won the prize for changing policy only. What about Clinton who actually did something with diplomacy??? He practically had the world eating out of the palm of our hand! Everyone loved us, then Bush took office and made everyone hate us. Now Obama comes into the picture and only says he'll be diplomatic without actually doing anything yet and get's a highly coveted nobel prize? BS! I'm guessing he's being set up for something big, he screws up once and his career is over now.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The Nobel Prize has become a leftist political joke. I lost all respect for the Peace prize when it was awarded to Jimmy Carter. Anybody who wants a source of clean energy needs to figure out how to hook Alfred Nobel's body up to a generator, because, he's turning out some high RPMs right about now.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
this would also be a brake on an attack on iran - give him a prize for peace and he would think twice before attacking iran.

thankfully the far right neo-con dogs ar not in charge.

would be mushroom clouds before dinner with them.

[edit on 9/10/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The world has truly "jumped the shark".

He is 10 months into a term in which he has completed nothing. For cripe's sake SNL just made fun of him for exactly that!

This only serves to diminish the Nobel Prize and add to it's modern irrelevancy as well as to add to Obama's celebrity cache'. As a supporter I was already concerned over his penchant for style over substance since taking office. This will seal it, getting awards for nothing.

It's like in high school when the prettiest cheerleader gets voted everything from prom queen to most likely to succeed.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

This only serves to diminish the Nobel Prize and add to it's modern irrelevancy as well as to add to Obama's celebrity cache'.

Well, the board here at ATS is flooded with threads about this award right now, so it seems to be both interesting and relevant to a lot of people.
And I think it kind of goes with the job to be a celebrity when you are the president of USA.

I also don't think giving the world a bit of hope can be called "nothing". In my opion it is an achievement in itself. And again: This prize is absolutely not about the internal affairs of USA. It is a global prize.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Please join the existing news thread on this topic found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join