It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   

www.smh.com.au

President Barack Obama on Friday won the Nobel Peace Prize less than a year after he took office with the jury hailing his "extraordinary" diplomatic efforts on the international stage.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Does anyone else think this sounds like a "popularist" victory?....i mean the man sent MORE troops into Afghanistan, surely such actions would mean he is not as of yet the most worthy winner of this award?

I do not know much about the Nobel Peace Prize but i am wondering if it has become a joke in some peoples eyes.

www.smh.com.au

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by the titor experience

Does anyone else think this sounds like a "popularist" victory?....i mean the man sent MORE troops into Afghanistan, surely such actions would mean he is not as of yet the most worthy winner of this award?

Well, personally I do not think he has done all that much. I honestly do not think a nobel peace prize is in order ( And I am a more left leaning person)

About him sending more troops into Afghanistan though, He did exactly as he said he would during his campaign and that was one thing that I did not like about his stance... I really thought we should just cut our losses and get out... But that is another story... Anyway he did say that he was going to pull troops out of Iraq and put them into Afghanistan.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Fair enough regarding his policy about sending more troops - at least he was up front about it.

I am just a little gobsmacked that he managed to get a Nobel for Peace though - i agree totally he does not deserve it......yet - that is not to say that he might not have in the future.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Seems like everyone just wants to kiss his butt!! I think they will tarnish the reputation of the Nobel peace prize if they give it out on reputation and popularity alone.

There are people out there who are starting charities, running charites. People taking strangers into there homes and looking after them. Nurses who are tending the sick and god knows how many scientists that are having breakthroughs in medical research - Bio fuel research. Any of the above would be more worthy than Obama. No disrespect to him but winning major prizes for not achieving much will probably do him no favours.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
at least the war in afghanistan is a legal war - unlike the utter BS called Iraq - thank the lord Obama is pulling out of that mess.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by the titor experience

www.smh.com.au

President Barack Obama on Friday won the Nobel Peace Prize less than a year after he took office with the jury hailing his "extraordinary" diplomatic efforts on the international stage.

I just heard on the news that to be eligible he had to have been nominated in February this year just 11 days after he became President. Who I wonder nominated him just 11 days into his presidency.

So in the first 11 days he achieved enough presumably to be nominated the Peace Prize?

[edit on 9-10-2009 by keldas]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Im completely astonished by this! Let the anti-christ theories revamp

Although im seeing many that supported him, getting in doubt, or taking back all support completely.. This might backlash against him, as people start to see that this is business and politics as usual...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Picao84

and im seeing MANY of those who opposed him running to his flag - the lord giveth and the lord taketh away.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I don't get it.

Why in the Heck would he receive that prize?

He has done NOTHING for Peace in the world.

We are in Iraq (War)

We are in Afganistan (War)

We are rattling the saber in Iran (saying bombing)

We have done nothing with North Korea (possible war)

We PO China and Russia and the Rest of the World -

I am completely in disbelief that he received the Prize -

We still torture prisoners and keep Gitmo opened

He has BROKEN every Promise he made to the American people to get elected!

What a Crock full of #$*^ for him to receive the award!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Tsvangirai is more deserving, a man who struggled to bring democracy to Zimbabwe and his Presidency of the MDC is an inspiration for Africa.

The man has been beaten numerous times, his family members have been murdered by Mugabe and yet he still become Prime Minister in Mugabe's government. Unity, in his eyes, was the path to peace.

But an inadequate President, who has achieved nothing, is apparently more fitting

Nobel is turning in his grave. Mockery of the prize.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
can anyone please cite SPECIFIC examples of his " extra ordinary efforts " ????? - because i have missed them

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I agree with the above member, the award was given out too soon, merely 8 months into his presidency. The explanation from Oslo was that they were not "awarding" him but rather promoting his work thus far and pushing him to continue on regarding peace talks, nuclear disarmament... it was a "recognition" award so to say.... I wouldnt be surprised if eye brows were raised even in Oslo at the decision, ... but nevertheless he was nominated...
I think only the third US president... the last one was Woodrow nearly a century ago..

I tell ya though, if it brings more frustration to tea party protestors and Fox news followers it works out for me personally....

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Theres a good story I heard once.

A boy found a lamp with a magic genie, he was granted only one wish and the boy wished for world peace, with this the genie killed off every living animal on Earth including great beasts and the smallest life, when questioned why he did this the genie simply replied "now you have your peace."

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by the titor experience

I can sort of see why he has been given this honour. Its almost like an encouragement from the group to do more. He has set out a vision and policy to cut Nuclear arms, he has taken a mulitlaterist diplomatic route when it comes to Iran and other troubled regions.

I mean if people like Henry Kissenger can win it why not Obama?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
wft?!?!
all hes done is continue the same bombing that bush did.
my god some people are so far up there own arses they love the smell of there own farts.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
He was also nominated, 11 days after being sworn in as President.

Hilarious, utterly hilarious.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by superdebz

here's the video of the announcement:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz
wft?!?!
all hes done is continue the same bombing that bush did.

Bombing where? Iraq is currently in a withdrawal fase and Afghanistan ofcourse is based on the war against the taleban. If his bombing the monsters who attacked american soil in 9/11 I have no issue.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
He was also nominated, 11 days after being sworn in as President.

Hilarious, utterly hilarious.

Oh Im finding it hilarious.... I don't usually watch fox news but I certainly am having a joy viewing it early this morning.... its ganna be a good day at work I tell ya.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join