It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'd like to nominate the next president candidate of the United States in 2010. That president surely will have some great promises and visions in 2012, so let's give an award to him forwardly.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Sharrow]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by missvicky
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

All sorts of reasons will be given for why this is a terrible thing, but the truth is, Obama was honored with an prestigious world-wide award, meaning that a lot of people like him, appreciate him and his vision for the relationship of the US in the world... and some people just can't freaking stand that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I couldn't agree with you more!
this country is going to hate and gripe itself to death. Much easier than getting behind positive vision and plans.

ha ha ha ha ha....

hahahahahahahahahaahahha

ahahahahahahah

sorry....

hahahaahahahaha

haahahahah

ahahahha

that was really funny. i needed a good laugh.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

While I am as flabbergasted as everyone else by this award what you need to realize is that Obama could be anointed by Christ Jesus himself in front of the entire nation and the hard right would find a way to criticize him for it and claim it was a fraud.

Their opposition to him is not based on reason or logic or really even on policy...its visceral almost psychotic in nature and to be fair to them (at least some of them and hopefully a majority) not based on race but simply because their side lost...that a liberal Democrat is in office.

What a load of BS....

Do tell us grover, are Rachael Maddow, and the Huff, alongside other LEFTWING SOURCES also part of your "hard right conspiracy"?.....

Not to mention that even members of this community which are part of the left are also seeing the truth that people like you just want to ignore, and still you want to claim all these "LEFTWING SOURCES" are part of your "hard right conspiracy"?.... Other people like you, who have made the same claims just crack me up...

You are hilarious, perhaps you should become a comedian.

Several members have posted evidence to what the Obama administration is doing, and people like you prefer to ignore, and even dismiss such evidence by always playing the "race, and hate card"...

This only shows that people like you prefer to embrace ignorance all the time instead of actually making unbiased research.

But hey, you keep living in your fantasy world all you want.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
After eight years of mindless belligerence under cheney/bush minor...the very fact that he chose to sanely address the Muslim world is one of the most positive moves he could make...

but really the first words out of my mouth when I heard this was...WHAT FOR???

Still if it annoys the hell out of the hard right then I'm all for it.

What?... The fact that the Nobel Peace Prize is nothing more than another scam is annoying to us?

Obviously you are avoiding reality. This is great news, you know why? Because it shows, as i said before, that the Nobel Peace Prize is nothing more than a scam, and all you have to do to win it is make claims, meanwhile you do the oposite to what you claim, that you want to help humanity...

After all Hitler, and castro among other dictators have been nominated to the Nobel Peace Prize....

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Yesterday: Obama has been in office long enough to deserve the blame for everything that is wrong in America.

Today: Obama hasn't been in office long enough to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Here's what Obama did in his first 12 days as President. He was nominated for the Nobel Peace prize 12 days after being elected. In summary, here's what he did. You tell me if he deserved it. No politics here, just the merits.

January 20: Sworn in as president. Went to a parade. Partied.

January 21: Asked bureaucrats to re-write guidelines for information requests. Held an “open house” party at the White House.

January 22: Signed Executive Orders: Executive Branch workers to take ethics pledge; re-affirmed Army Field Manual techniques for interrogations; expressed desire to close Gitmo (how’s that working out?)

January 23: Ordered the release of federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries. Lunch with Joe Biden; met with Tim Geithner.

January 24: Budget meeting with economic team.

January 25: Skipped church.

January 26: Gave speech about jobs and energy. Met with Hillary Clinton. Attended Geithner's swearing in ceremony.

January 27: Met with Republicans. Spoke at a clock tower in Ohio.

January 28: Economic meetings in the morning, met with Defense secretary in the afternoon.

January 29: Signed Ledbetter Bill overturning Supreme Court decision on lawsuits over wages. Party in the State Room. Met with Biden.

January 30: Met economic advisers. Gave speech on Middle Class Working Families Task Force. Met with senior enlisted military officials.

January 31: Took the day off.

February 1: Skipped church. Threw a Super Bowl party.

So there you have it. The short path to the Nobel Peace Prize: Party, go to meetings, skip church, release federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries, party some more. Get nominated for Peace prize!

www.todayssurvival.com...

[edit on 11-10-2009 by TodaysSurvival]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
There goes the neighborhood...

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I am physically sick reading it. My friends from all over the world were laughing about it. I don't find it funny. It is tragic. That makes me wonder if Hitler and Stalin one day will be positioned as World Peace makers of 20th century.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
A Ok. I read through 12 pages and have not seen it to there so.....

Definition of Peace to the NWO-no one to oppose our agenda. For that alone Obama should win it just like all the other morons. And SG your post sucksrabbit doo doo, just like normal. Go kneel before your God.

[edit on 10/11/2009 by endisnighe]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
After Yasser Arafat was awarded the Nobel peace prize anything is possible.
Anyway I think this was a hasty decision, the prize should be awarded for results and not intentions. In the words of Sideshow Bob from The Simpsons - you don't get a prize for attempted chemistry

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
There's been some great, great commentaries in the press.

I absolutely love this one:

Obama Wins Booker Prize

The Mann Booker Prize, Britain’s most prestigious literary award, has been conferred for 2009 on President Obama, it was announced yesterday. Not only is this the first time the Booker Prize has gone to an American. It is the first time the prize has gone to someone who has never published a work of fiction. By the terms of the Mann Booker Trust, the prize is awarded annually to “the author of what is judged to be the best novel published each year in the United Kingdom.” Obama has written two highly regarded memoirs, but neither was published in 2009 in the United Kingdom, and neither is a novel. At the press conference where the award to Obama was announced, the chairman of the judges said, “He’s bound to have a short story or two shoved into a drawer somewhere. That’s good enough for us.” And besides, the chairman noted, it was the unanimous conclusion of the judges that the president’s “whole life is a great novel.”

Although as recently as 24 hours ago, the president’s name was entirely absent from the traditional frenzy of speculation about the Booker Prize, he is now considered the leading candidate for the Prix Goncourt, which is the French equivalent of the Booker and possibly even more prestigious. Among past winners are Marcel Proust and Simone de Beauvoir.

Traditionally, as a prize for novel writing, it has gone to someone who has written a novel. Obama got the award, according to the judges, for “smoking cigarettes and wearing those Euro-cut suits and skinny ties, and generally looking like a French intellectual.”

The president is considered a shoo-in for an Oscar in the category of best cinematography at next spring’s Academy Awards. “We had to give him something,” a spokesman said, “and nobody knows what the heck cinematography is anyway.”

Obama is also expected to win this year’s Nobel Prize for Physics, for an experiment he conducted two decades ago in a science course at the high school he attended in Hawaii. By dropping two coconuts from the top of a tower, he determined that gravity works in Hawaii just like it does in England, where Newton had conducted a similar experiment several centuries earlier, using apples, even though Hawaii is much closer to the equator. “Whether distance from the equator might make some difference in the way gravity works is a question that nobody had thought to ask,” the Nobel citation declares. “Now, thanks to Mr. Obama’s research, we have the answer.” Obama will be the first person to win two Nobel prizes in the same year. “Next year, he’s going for three,” said presidential adviser David Axelrod yesterday.

Among other prizes Obama has won or is expected to win in 2009 are Scariest Costume at the annual Halloween Ball of the National Press Club (he came dressed as Elizabeth McCaughey), Parent of the Year at the Sidwell Friends School (“So what if he missed all the PTA meetings?” the citation read), and Most Hot Dogs Consumed in Five Minutes (14) at this year’s White House staff July 4 picnic. A controversy broke out when the Post reported that they were actually veggie-dogs, but House Speaker Nancy Pelosi ruled that the new-age sausages should count. “Next year he’s going for 16,” said Axelrod. “Eyes on the prize.”

And latenight show host Jimmy Fallon said: "Along with the Nobel Peace Prize, President Obama also gets $1.4 million. $1.4 million. Usually, to get a check that big you need to blackmail David Letterman."

And this is from SF Gate, a commentary by Willie Brown:

After Nobel, what's next for Obama - sainthood?

Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize for one thing - getting elected president in a country that has never had a woman or a person of color as its leader.

I expect an Oscar, a Tony and a Pulitzer will all follow, and all will be equally deserved.

The Nobel is great news for Obama and for America, but is bad news for the Rev. Al, Jesse and me, as the prize committees have now met their quota.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I haven't had a chance to review all 800+ replies here, so this may not be a new perspective.

However, it seems to me that the Nobel Prize was given out of a recognition of the profound and undeniable change in this country which would permit a minority -- an African American -- historically the object of horrific discrimination -- to be elected to the highest office of our country.

Obama accepts this award as the proof (not impetus) of that change, on behalf of the American people.

I say this, because Obama acknowledges this in his acceptance speech:

This prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women and all Americans want to build, a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

I choose to believe he refers the promise in our founding documents that all people are created equal. It is a reasonable interpretation by anyone.

Why don't we all just be happy that a new American President, newly elected by the people of this nation, has received a distinguished award on behalf of our collective change? Whether you voted for Obama or not, you have to admit his election has finally, and forever affirmed that, in the USA, a person's race is not an impenetrable barrier to the highest and most poweful office of our government.

Obama has demonstrated that. In a sense, we all have demonstrated that. To me, when viewing the sad perspective of our history, that is worthy of a Nobel prize, and we can all take satisfaction.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Axial Leader

Whether you voted for Obama or not, you have to admit his election has finally, and forever affirmed that, in the USA, a person's race is not an impenetrable barrier to the highest and most poweful office of our government.

Now all the barriers that need broken are the wealth, connections, and 'celebrity' ones, so a NORMAL human being who can speak English and not Politicio, cannot be bought, corrupted, and not turn the country into a wasteland can be president! If those barriers can be broken, even *I* can be a president!

As for awards- Will we get to see Obama try for the Darwins? :-D

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well, since Obama "won" the Nobel Peace Prize, why not get him his very own Heisman to put on the shelf, too!! I mean, he plays a mean game of B-ball, so I bet he's just as qualified for this as his Nobel.

promo.espn.go.com...

And remember, be a good Democrat and ACORN member and vote early, and vote often!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
It seems even the former Minister for foreign affairs of Australia thinks this is a joke.

Former foreign minister Alexander Downer has taken aim at the Nobel Peace Prize committee over its decision to award the latest prize to US President Barack Obama. Mr Downer described the decision 'a farce' and said Mr Obama should have refused to accept the prize. "He has been in office for less than nine months when it is announced that he has won the prize, so they would have made the decision a few weeks ago I suppose. It does make the whole system a bit of a farce," he said.

here is the link to the article

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Not sure if anyone has posted this but the dead line to nominate someone for the noble is FEB 01 2009. It's amazing how much he did in two weeks. Makes me think the NWO hand a hand in this all the way

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

With this in mind, does Obama receiving the Nobel Peace Prize make Americans stand with their collective heads held a little bit higher or ...

does it make Americans the laughingstock of the world? Just curious.

To my way of thinking, this development has to be THE polarizing event of the world. Perfectly fitting and appropriate if one is attempting to implement the Art of War.

Sun Tzu suggested the importance of positioning in strategy and that position is affected both by objective conditions in the physical environment and the subjective opinions of competitive actors in that environment. He thought that strategy was not planning in the sense of working through an established list, but rather that it requires quick and appropriate responses to changing conditions.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The reasoning of the committee doesn't even make sense. The nominations had to be in before February 1st. That means Obama would have only been in office for 12 days! He had not accomplished, nor attempted to accomplish, ANYTHING before he was nominated, assuming of course he was nominated after taking the oath and not by some nutjob before that. Well, Actually he had, he had attempted to become the first black president that isn't actually black!

Oooooh, politicians.

That Prize is a Joke!

[edit on 12-10-2009 by memarf1]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Axial Leader
I haven't had a chance to review all 800+ replies here, so this may not be a new perspective.

However, it seems to me that the Nobel Prize was given out of a recognition of the profound and undeniable change in this country which would permit a minority -- an African American -- historically the object of horrific discrimination -- to be elected to the highest office of our country.

Obama accepts this award as the proof (not impetus) of that change, on behalf of the American people.

I say this, because Obama acknowledges this in his acceptance speech:

This prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women and all Americans want to build, a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

I choose to believe he refers the promise in our founding documents that all people are created equal. It is a reasonable interpretation by anyone.

Why don't we all just be happy that a new American President, newly elected by the people of this nation, has received a distinguished award on behalf of our collective change? Whether you voted for Obama or not, you have to admit his election has finally, and forever affirmed that, in the USA, a person's race is not an impenetrable barrier to the highest and most poweful office of our government.

Obama has demonstrated that. In a sense, we all have demonstrated that. To me, when viewing the sad perspective of our history, that is worthy of a Nobel prize, and we can all take satisfaction.

The Nobel Prize is not awarded because of your skin color. I am really tired of hearing about skin colors, and referrals to historic "horrific" discrimination against blacks. GET OVER IT ALREADY. Yes I know about everyone says this, but I truly am 1/4 Indian (my mother is half) and I remember relatives we went to visit in Stillwater, OK when I was a kid, and some of the old men had braided ponytails down to the waist. But I digress; Indians had to fight a lengthy battle to survive. But for that matter, so did the Americans, the founding fathers. They had to fight the British army for decades, hundreds of thousands DIED so that freedom in America could be established. Maybe we could say Obama is accepting the Nobel on behalf of all those soldiers who died on the battle front and lived in "horrific" conditions, going weeks without food in winter sometimes, dying of "horrific" disease in tents in subzero temps, many didn't even have shoes. I think people draaaaaag out the old "horrific" stories because it serves their purpose. Yeah, a black man was elected president. So? He happened to have applied himself in school and had the education and the work history to qualify him to be a candidate. PERIOD.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The Nobel Committee as far as I know is not a democracy made up of all the world's people casting a vote. It is their prize to award to whomever they wish whether their 'criteria' makes any sense or not. Rather than begrudge what some other group else is awarding, we should take it upon ourselves to either support or create an award worth having. Along with it, make it a requirement to actually do something in order to receive it. Bar from it any political persuasion, fiscal influence or social manipulation. Then, award it to one who fits these precepts. The problem is when it is awarded, while everyone is clapping they'll be asking each other, "who? How come I've never heard of this person?"

Even better, how about looking at all the people in our lives who greet us with a smile, help us find what we're looking for, gives us a hand when we're in a jam, listen to us when we're deluging our problems upon them, etc. and let them know sincerely, truly how much we appreaciate them? Those kinds of words are worth more than a gold coin hung by a ribbon. Speaking of, I'm very glad to be a part of this community that really cares about getting to the truth, freedom of speech, and sharing their passionate points of view. May God bless you all.

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42 >>

join