It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration to cut NASA funding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hi ATSers,
just came across this story which made me a bit apprehensive; why? Because I believe that Manned space exploration is important.
I suppose in the scheme of things, with the GFC and all, it is another entity to blindly rob money from!

Will the Obama administration and the 111th Congress go down in history as the politicians who turned out the lights on the US human-spaceflight program? Collapse (NASA via Getty Images) That is the fundamental question several lawmakers are asking as they pore over options and observations that were presented by a panel charged with reviewing America's human-spaceflight effort. The review panel, formed at the behest of the Obama White House and headed by retired aerospace executive Norman Augustine, has set out five "families" of options that could yield "a safe, innovative, affordable, and sustainable human spaceflight program," as the panel's charter puts it. These options include the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's current effort.

For the full article please visit the link below:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Expanding the government would be easier for the Obama administration if they cut funding to NASA.

Think of what they could do with those billions of dollars, more bailouts for the corporate elite, new private jets for congress, creating a national police force, etc....

They could use some of it to offset deficit spending on new social programs... And hey face it, with all the new unemployed NASA workers they will need that extra spending.

Meanwhile, China launches their first manned mission to the moon to establish a permanent base....

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well, the way I see it, if NASA is going to continue to deny their real findings and motives, what use are they. NASA, and yes, the U.S government have lied to the American public for years about space and what is out there. I truly, almost beyond a shadow of a doubt, believe that.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Kind of intriguing how the administration has already spent 7.7 billion on planning another Moon mission- they want to waste that the gain 3 billion?
I never understood corporate economics!!!
Maybe they paid for China?

Obama's NASA Panel : Moon Missions Unrealistic Posted: Sep 9, 2009 08:59 PM WASHINGTON (AP) - A White House panel of independent space experts says NASA's return-to-the-moon plan just won't fly. The problem is money. The expert panel estimates it would cost about $3 billion a year beyond NASA's current budget. The plan to revisit the moon by 2020 was proposed five years ago by then-President George W. Bush. It was supposed to be financed by savings from retiring the space shuttles. However, President Barack Obama's expert panel said any plan to go beyond low-Earth orbit was "not viable" with current spending. The panel posted a summary report online Tuesday. NASA already has spent $7.7 billion on the moon plan, including the design and construction of new rockets.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
That stinks! I guess we won't go to mars after all.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

Space exploration is important. It's the future of man kind.

But right now the country is essentially broke. Some NASA projects can be put on hold until we get our act back together.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I hear what you are saying, but don't you agree that NASA has provided us with some valuable information; even if the public has to steal it from the downlink- Hats off to M.Stubbs

Besides that I always find the Voyager photographs inspiring!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Your country is not broke; your government is!
Unfortunately we have put our trust in these so called 'leaders' to do the right thing.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Hm this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe a private company will take over and actually make some progress?! And if there is ET life not lie to the people about it... that always helps.

Seriously I think they're better off dead, I know a family member would be angry at me saying it but it's true. What innovations have they made in the past 10-20 years? Nothing. We're not going to the moon anymore, we're just sending probes to mars woo hoo! Completely ignoring our closest celestial object (the moon). Space exploration is important I agree, a lot of innovations have come from it. But we've kind of just been idle lately. Like I said maybe a Private company will emerge and start sending people out there?

It does suck they did it now... just as they were using billions to try to go back to the moon, but oh well the Government is retarded, maybe they will save a buck or two from this... fat chance though!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

Well I suppose there would be no difference then- as most first world governments farm their work out to private contracts: just look at Iraq and Afganistan.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
That stinks! I guess we won't go to mars after all.

We can go to Mars after we fix the pot holes in the street, in front of my house.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
NASA has no real relevance any more. That organization should have been wound up ten years ago!There Victims of there own success! They have proved that we are alone in the universe and all the other planets/moons are lifeless.Satellites could be launched much cheaper that with the shuttle. So why do we need NASA anyway?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Give it enough time and the country and the govt. both will be

Second line

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MOTT the HOOPLE

Explain to me exactly how they have proved we are alone in the universe?

2nd

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Don't worry about cutting funding to NASA. NASA is a facade to US Space Exploration but the reality is that space exploration is "light years" beyond NASA. It's being cut because it's not really important other than PR.

delius

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Zenlike

Well NASA keep saying there's nothing out there "So let's take them at there word! Mission accomplished!"

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Well, we have to cut Nasa. We're broke, afterall. Then again, considering that Obama has expanded federal spending by a trillion dollars in the last eight months, most as handouts to special interests, the entire $17 billion budget of Nasa doesn't make much of a dent.

No, they can afford it. Nasa's budget is less than 1% of the government's total tax receipts, let alone spending. If Obama cuts it, its because he just isn't interested.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by vor78]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well after all this time Obama still hasn't decided what will happen with NASA. He just recently decided who to put in charge of it.

He is suposed to make a descision on what NASA will do this month so at this point it's still up in the air. But I have to admit I don't have much HOPE. (pun intended)

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE
reply to post by Zenlike

Well NASA keep saying there's nothing out there "So let's take them at there word! Mission accomplished!"

You can take their word.

I, on the otherhand, and this goes to many ATS members on here, believe we've been getting lies about extra-terrestrial life.

Besides, with how big the universe, it's actually quite dumb to say that we are alone...

I don't think there is a scientist on this planet that doesn't believe extra-terrestrial life is out there.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MOTT the HOOPLE

Where do you get that?

NASA hasn't "proven" anything.
Thanks for the joke of the night, I needed something to smile about.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join