It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Little Rissington UFO Incident.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Subject: UFO Incident Involving RAF Meteor & Radar Over Gloucestershire, 21 Oct 1952:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a6b1b3844c3.jpg[/atsimg]

Flying saucers were the last thing on Michael Swiney's mind when he climbed into the cockpit of an RAF Meteor VII on the afternoon of 21 October 1952. Swiney was a staff instructor based at the RAF's Central Flying School at Little Rissington, Gloucestershire, where his job was to provide tuition to RAF and Navy pilots. Seated behind him was his student for the day, David Crofts, a Royal Navy lieutenant. What began as a run-of-the mill exercise was soon to turn into one of the most dramatic experiences in Swiney's flying career.

Link

Very intriguing UFO incident from over Gloucestershire, England in which three disc shaped objects were plotted on ground radar and witnessed by two RAF pilots who saw them fly over the cockpit of their aircraft -the pilots are interviewed below and describe the objects in full detail.

If anyone knows any further info on this incident please post.

See 4:30

edit on 28-12-2013 by karl 12 because: Fix video links

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I was hoping for a more recent sighting with all the UK activity
with fire balloons and all.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Yes not to worry, one of the RAF pilots does sound quite spooked though.
The pilots both say that upon landing they were immediately confined in separate cabins and told to speak to noone until they were thoroughly debriefed by an unknown plain clothes officer.
Its also interesting that the three objects were plotted on ground radar (ground speed 600mph).
Cheers.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
So the plain clothes guys know whats going on.
No chance of going up the chain of command to find the final ET authority.
Well now we see why this was released under the new 20 year ban perhaps.
Does this mean that pilots now are free to talk without briefing.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Slightly pedantic, but one RAF pilot plus one Navy pilot doesn't equal 'two RAF pilots'.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by butch_uk

Err yes that is rather pedantic but thanks for pointing that one out.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Yes not to worry, one of the RAF pilots does sound quite spooked though.
The pilots both say that upon landing they were immediately confined in separate cabins and told to speak to noone until they were thoroughly debriefed by an unknown plain clothes officer.
Its also interesting that the three objects were plotted on ground radar (ground speed 600mph).
Cheers.

That is quite fast.
Now you know why some wonder at the statement that some one
made about their aircraft going 300 miles per second.
That is a lot slower than the speed of light 186,000 miles per second.

I think in terms of miles per hour one finds an outrageous 1,080,000 mph.
Also why some people say the UFO goes into another dimension but
it just has instantaneous momentum perhaps as some have sought
to explain the behavior.

Based on charges I wonder what speed might be attained.
Velocity,V, = acceleration,a, times time,t.
Acceleration,a, of a charged mass,m, equals the voltage,v, times the
charge,q, as an approximation as in normal physics.
Thus in terms of these parameters we need to know mass,m, charge,q,
and voltage,v, applied to a craft to find the acceleration.
F = ma = qV
a = V(q/m) = V
Now millions of volts is truly possible.
Lets say we have a charge to mass ratio of one.
However charge,q, can be accumulated by another voltage,v2, so
no problem to account for any mass,m.
Then Velocity = one million volts times even a micro second to
achieve some velocity.
After a long application things should move along.
Voltage is also known as potential,p, and this mode of operation
might be called the two potential system or the p2.
In other notation the p relates to frequency.
Thus electric propulsion might be achieved and if we plug in
numbers we might be astounded.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Does anyone know anymore about this incident?

October ,1952 - Two RAF pilots witness three disc shaped objects fly over the cockpit of their aircraft - objects confirmed on ground radar.

Fascinating interview with Flight Lieutennant Michael Swiney and Royal Navy Lieutennant David Crofts who both witnessed three disc shaped objects pass over the cockpit of their plane whilst flying over England in October 1952 (the three objects were also confirmed by ground radar).

Interviews begin at 6:25
www.youtube.com...

And follow on here:
www.youtube.com...

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

Here's these fixed for ya, Buddy!

Cheers,

Erik

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

pretty interesting.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

we keep getting reports from pilots concerning these fireballs of light. amazing whats in our skies.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTopSecretX
we keep getting reports from pilots concerning these fireballs of light. amazing whats in our skies.

AboveTopSecretX, thanks for the reply although its not just 'fireballs of light' that have been reported - theres a thread below dealing with all the different shapes described.

It also contains this interesting quote:

"They came up with a table of pictures of all the shapes of UFOs that have ever been recorded - about 50 ...The study of UFOs
may reveal some new forms of energy to us,or at least bring us closer to a solution.
General Vasily Alexeyev
Russian Air Force -Space Communications Centre

Thread

Originally posted by redwoodjedi
Here's these fixed for ya, Buddy!

Cheers matey - had to go back and edit because the links were removed by Youtube.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well the UFOs are still around so they age gracefully or
new and improved ones are being made.
Many suspect the latter.
The industrial cartels have to tow the line because whenever
the topic comes up it must be a nightmare.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Well the UFOs are still around so they age gracefully or
new and improved ones are being made.

Don't know about that but there are some very interesting pilot UFO reports from over the last eighty years at this thread and some of the reports sound like they are describing very similar objects (and flight characteristics).
Cheers.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Further reading about this incident:

The Little Rissington UFO Incident

Photo of Air Commodore Mick Swiney right in officer's mess, 1950s.

"At the time immediately I didn't feel frightened. I did subsequently feel that we were looking at something that really we shouldn't be seeing. And I remember being told on landing that I looked fairly shaken, almost as if I had seen a ghost."

Air Commodore Michael Swiney O.B.E. (RAF Retired)

Link

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Pilot Eyewitness testimony:

"It was something supernatural. I immediately thought of course, of saucers, because that's actually what they looked like. They were not leaving a condensation trail as I knew we were. They were circular and appeared to be stationary. We continued to climb to twice that height [to 30,000 feet] and as we did so they did in fact change position. They took on a slightly different perspective. For example the higher we got they lost their circular shape and took on more of a 'flat plate' appearance - like when you hold a tea-saucer above your head and look at it, and then bring it down to your eye-level, it loses the circular shape and becomes a flat plate."

"At one time the objects, which were still very much in view, appeared to go from one side of us to the other, and to make quite sure it was not an illusion caused by us in our aeroplane moving to one side, I checked that we were absolutely still on a very steady heading, and sure enough they had moved across to the starboard side of the aircraft."

"We got to the top of the climb and I decided that really there was nothing much we could do. I was too shaken by what I had seen and decided to call the exercise off and go back to base. I called up Air Traffic Control at Rissington and said I had three unidentified objects fairly close and gave them my course. I understand later that there was a certain amount of pandemonium on the ground because they weren't used to having their own staff instructors calling up saying 'we have got three unidentified flying objects in front, what do we do?' They didn't know what to do either."

Flight Lieutenant Michael Swiney

And:

"I remember doing the 35,000 foot check and Mick, who was in the front seat, said: 'David, did you have anything to drink at lunchtime?' and I said: 'No, why?' and he said: 'Is your oxygen on?' and I replied: 'Mick, we've just done the 30,000 foot check and you checked with me that your oxygen was alright and I checked with you that my oxygen was alright,' then he said: 'Well, look at that - straight ahead!'

"Mick [who was in the front seat] put his head to one side and I looked straight through the D-window and there were three dots ahead, [initially] they wouldn't have been bigger than my thumb-nail at arm's length and there were certainly three of them. I looked up from time to time and saw they were approaching and getting further and further apart. What I saw looked like the bottom of a stemmed glass. They were lens shaped, like an ellipse and the sun was behind them, and there was no cloud at that height. It was impossible to tell the size of them or how far away they were.

"I was thinking all the time that I've got to make this a good exercise and didn't want to muff it by looking around at extraneous things, but Mick kept talking about them and saying that he thought they were UFOs so I thought: 'Oh yes, well let's go after them!' thinking well now we can stop doing the exercise and we can officially say we are off the hook. But he didn't, he said: 'Oh Lord no, don't you remember something that happened on the West Coast of America where a couple of pilots went after one of these things and they all got vapourised and they have never been seen since.' I then asked him what he intended to do, and with that he called Air Traffic Control at Little Rissington and said what he could see and within a very short time he said: 'I have control', he turned the aircraft and we headed back to base."

Royal Navy Lieutennant David Crofts

Link

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Logbook entry for October 1952 showing Croft's sketch of the 3 saucers:

Entries from the Operational Record Book, RAF Little Rissington (Public Record Office: 29/2310) and personal flying log belonging to Flight Lieutenant Michael Swiney recording sighting of three 'flying saucers' during a training exercise over southwest England, 21 October 1952

Mick Swiney's flying logbook showing entry dated 21 October 1952:

Swiney had also kept a copy of his flying log book for 1952, which supported his story (see Figure 13, page 101). Under Exercise 18 an entry read: '(SAUCERS!) 3 "Flying Saucers" sighted at height.

Link

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Records of the official investigation missing.

When in 2001 Swiney attempted to obtain a copy of his original report to Air Ministry he was told by the MoD that it had 'most likely' been destroyed. However, research at the PRO revealed an entry in the ORB of the Central Flying School, dated 21 October 1952, which read:

'Flight Lieutenant M. J. E. SWINEY, instructor, and Lieutenant B. CROFTS, R.N., student, sighted three mysterious "saucer shaped objects" travelling at high speed at about 35,000' whilst on a high level navigation exercise, in a Meteor VII. Later, A.T.C.C. Gloucester reported radar plots to confirm this, but Air Ministry discounted any possibility of "extra terrestrial objects". '

The evidence suggests that in addition to the testimony of the two pilots, two separate radars had tracked an UFO and this resulted in the scramble of interceptor aircraft. How could the Air Ministry claim, so quickly after the events, that they had 'discounted any possibility' of extraterrestrial objects? Where are the records of the official investigation into this incident that were evidently seen both by Sir Peter Horsley and by Air Commodore Swiney as recently as the 1970s? If there was nothing to hide, then why was this incident kept secret for half a century?

Link

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Well now we see why this was released under the new 20 year ban perhaps.

T+L - perhaps the British Ministry of Defense will postpone the release date like they did with this incident:

Bizarre UFO witnessed at RAF Boulmer - July, 1977.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Older cases typically have more documentation, because they didn't have the existing ridicule factor established. At that time, they were more genuinely concerned with just what the hell was going on, and the potential threat posed.

In addition, modern pilots face losing their livelihood in reporting UFOs, so sometimes older cases make for better evidence.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Older cases typically have more documentation, because they didn't have the existing ridicule factor established. At that time, they were more genuinely concerned with just what the hell was going on, and the potential threat posed.

In addition, modern pilots face losing their livelihood in reporting UFOs, so sometimes older cases make for better evidence.

Gazrok, couldn't agree more -there's a fair bit of documentation out there for the older cases and some of the existing pilot reports describe objects making right angle turns or flying in zig zag formation (which I very much doubt would be released these days).

UFO Government Documentary Evidence

Cheers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join