It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Underestimated Myth of Depression

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
As I suffered from depression too I can say it probably never ends...You'll feel well but sometimes you'll have a relapse even if its for a few days.
And people don't understand it until they have it, they just call you emo.

I used to be so depressed that I would self-harm...going to school was like hell to me when I arrived home I would sit in the couch and suddenly fell asleep almost like fainting from lack of energy and I wouldn't remember sitting in the couch , plus my grades were awful and I cried everyday, once i skipped a class so I could go cry.

One time I tried to tell a friend. her reaction was- she said she was stressed too and every time she saw an article about stress she looked at me and laughed trying to make me happy... yeah stress yet i was having a depression and doing self-harm, people only think about themselves.
Its hard to go trough depression all by yourself, eventually it will end (to me it lasted one year) but you will always have relapses as I had one about last week.
I had depression for one year and no one in my family or friends group found out and I had cuts in my arm and legs (how couldn't they see? how didn't my friend which i trusted my secret notice my arm and lack of energy)

Some people are just ignorant. Damn I even told her I wanted to go see the school psychologist and she never helped me go see her thanks to that I never went to the psychologist because I was ashamed of going and I didn't want to go alone.

edit: plus I told my mother I was always tired and needed to go to the doctor. My mother said I was fine even when she complained about me always sleeping after school.
[edit on 1-10-2009 by Danna]

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Danna]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I for one do underestimate it, life is only as hard as you make it.

Quote from Shakespeare
"Their is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"

If you believe something that happens is bad, you will react to that happening in ways that will cause you more unpleasantness and that seems to confirm for you that it was truly a unfortunate event. On the contrary, it was your reaction to that event that caused the continuing unpleasantness. It is your philosophy that determines how you react to any event in your life, Your philosophy is wholely responsible for your state of hapiness and well-being.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4stral4pprentice

quote] It is your philosophy that determines how you react to any event in your life, Your philosophy is wholely responsible for your state of hapiness and well-being.

If only it were that simple.

Philosophy and a physical ailment you cannot see are not comparable.

Believe me, if I could simply change the illnesses I have with an outlook on life, I would.

I appreciate you trying to be sensative on the subject with the quote you provided, but you have no idea what depression is about, or what it is like.

If you had, you would realize how insensative you really were without trying to do so.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Originally posted by 4stral4pprentice

quote] It is your philosophy that determines how you react to any event in your life, Your philosophy is wholely responsible for your state of hapiness and well-being.

If only it were that simple.

Philosophy and a physical ailment you cannot see are not comparable.

Believe me, if I could simply change the illnesses I have with an outlook on life, I would.

I appreciate you trying to be sensative on the subject with the quote you provided, but you have no idea what depression is about, or what it is like.

If you had, you would realize how insensative you really were without trying to do so.

I believe it is that simple I'm not being insensitive, Its just what i believe. To reverse this subject, with me being mindful and accepting everything as the best possible outcome to my benefit, I truely find it really hard to be depressed anymore or even sad or bored. Even when those feelings arise i get confused and ask myself why be this way? Phading those emotions away after i realise how pointless it is to be sad, depressed, or bored.

Also I don't understand how you think I've never been depressed, I used to have very bad emotional problems from my past and this isn't what I just made up for myself one day thinking. I used to go to a psychologist and psychiatrist both of which said I had emotional problems, which to me don't exist anymore.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I think that any mental illnesses are underestimated. Many people don't believe that they are real illnesses and they think that they are something that a person can just get over. To many people, if you can't see an illness physically, it doesn't exist.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 4stral4pprentice

My apologies to you.

I think it's great you were able to overcome depression the way you described, as it sounds way to simple for me.

Possibly one day, I could get to the same mindset that you describe, and just let it go.

Who knows, quite possibly it would not work for me because of the other illnesses I have, or a combination of them with the depression.

I would love to get rid of the problems I have, and they are not something I desire to cling to in any way. I just feel for mel, that it isn't as simple as a mindset.

Quite possibly, it was the way you described your first post that gave me the wrong idea. For me it sounded simplistic, like changing a shirt.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Thanks to All for sharing your thoughts. Your every opinion counts.

Mind Over Matter is a Positive Action, but unfortunately has no effect on
someone who is Majorly Depressed. Severe depression needs to be treated by the Professional Medical Psychiatric Team. There is a high risk of suicide, and other symptoms that may be psychotic.

Research shows that it is a genetic condition resulting in a chemical imbalance, other factors are alcohol, diet, sensitivity to chemicals and additives, as well as External Factors.

*Again Thank you For Your Input...

Also if anyone feels the need to talk to someone, Contact LifeLine- 131114.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by catalyst2466]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I was depressed for a few years. I used to think too much and feel too much. Every emotion was amplified and every thought ran away with itself into the apocalypse. I'm not sure that I would call depression a disorder or an illness. For me it was an intense state of negative being. I was living completely within my own mind and nothing on the outside could change my state for the better. Once my medication allowed that chink of light into the world I grasped it to my chest, ran outside and threw away my meds. That was 3 years ago now but I am very aware of how easy it is to slip and become trapped again.

[edit on 1/10/09 by Yossarian]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

3 french doctors (each one working on the basis of the other's researches), Dr Delbet, Dr Neveu, Dr Robinet, determined - roughly between WW1 & WW2 - that magnesium was the best "antiseptic" for treating war hounds (Delbet) and that it played the role of a "tonic" on the nervous system. Later Neveu, Robinet demonstrated that MG (in its chloride form preferably) was disappearing from chemically treated soils, so the most of modern food were deprived of it (not to mention the refinment process - bread, sugar, etc - that eradicates it as well) - and that maps of cancer and depression were greatly closed to those of Magnesium Depletion maps (the same process has been recently applied about melanomas and (lack of)UV map in the US: www.sunarc.org...). As it helps as a key component of ore than 300 enzymes, is present in major organs, nervous system, muscles, bones - its deficiency then appeared to be not only link to many "modern aches", but also that by boosting the immune sysem it helps to eradicate many infection like polyomyelite (yes) and others grave diseases.

Their researches, after having created many buzz from 1918 to 1950, were then after gradually suppressed. (The same thing happened with the sage of Dr Gernez, another geniusic frenchy who elaborated a proven method to prevent or even cure cancer in some case - and many others for resaerches they laed but were'nt approve by The-Pharma-&-Medicine-That-Be...)

Dietary magnesium intake in a national sample of US adults.

Despite the role of magnesium in maintaining health, much of the U.S. population has historically not consumed adequate amounts of magnesium. Furthermore, significant racial or ethnic disparities in magnesium intake exist. Our objective was to provide more recent data about magnesium intake in the U.S. population. We analyzed the 24-h dietary recall data from 4257 participants aged >or=20 y from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2000. The median intake of magnesium was 326 mg/d (mean 352 mg/d) among Caucasian men, 237 mg/d (mean 278 mg/d) among African American men, 297 mg/d (330 mg/d) among Mexican American men, 237 mg/d (mean 256 mg/d) among Caucasian women, 177 mg/d (mean 202 mg/d) among African American women, and 221 mg/d (mean 242 mg/d) among Mexican American women. Among men and women, Caucasians had significantly higher mean intakes of dietary magnesium than African Americans but not Mexican Americans. Magnesium intake decreased with increasing age (P for linear trend = 0.035 for Caucasians; P for linear trend

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

MAGNESIUM PROFILE

Magnesium is mainly found inside the cells, it activates many enzymes and is necessary for the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and amino acids. It is essential for the functions of muscles and nerves and for the formation of bones and teeth. Generally it counteracts and regulates the influence of calcium.

Some early signs of magnesium deficiency are loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and weakness. Increased deficiency may show as numbness, tingling, muscle contractions and cramps, seizures, personality changes, abnormal heart rhythms, and coronary spasms. Severe deficiency results in low levels of calcium in the blood (hypocalcemia), and is also associated with low levels of potassium in the blood (hypokalemia).

Deficiency Symptoms & Increased Requirements:

CIRCULATION: angina, arteriosclerosis/atherosclerosis, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, heart infarcts, , strokes, tachycardia (fast pulse), thrombosis.

DIGESTIVE SYSTEM: colic, constipation, chronic diarrhoea, malabsorption, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).

MUSCLES: backache, convulsions, cramps, increased excitability/jumpiness, numbness, nystagmus (rapid eye movements), spasms, tense/tight muscles, tingling, tremors.

NERVOUS SYSTEM: apathy, confusion, depression, disorientation, epilepsy, hallucinations, irritability, mental illness, multiple sclerosis, nervousness, neuritis paranoia, Parkinson's disease, poor memory, senility.

GENERAL: alcoholism, arthritis, body odours, broken bones, calcification in any organ, cancer, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, diabetes, eclampsia, headaches, infections and inflammations, liver cirrhosis, lupus erythematosus, migraines, old age, prostate problems, rickets, rigidity - mental and physical, skin wrinkled and tough, stiffness, stone-formation in gall bladder or kidneys, thyroid overactive.

Best Sources:

Fresh grass juice (e.g. wheat grass, barley grass) and powder of cereal grasses, vegetable juices, kelp, seawater, seafood, green leaves, molasses, soaked nuts, oily seeds and sprouted seeds. Magnesium is the central mineral in chlorophyll, which has a similar protein structure as haemoglobin.

www.health-science-spirit.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Maybe all depression is is the internal sense that we have no control. We have stopped growing and just ramble through life.
Go to your job, school whatever, go home maybe watch TV occassionally a movie or dinner and same oh same oh.

We have no goal, no growth, invent anything and the cost to even get it patented is enormous.

We can't all travel or enjoy the arts or ad infinitum of possibilities because of costs.

Our Government is out of control and no one listens or cares. We have to watch out for all the myriad things that can hurt us. And we feel disenfranchised.

Some are aware of this for others it is just beneath the surface. Lose of family, because we have to live where we can work. So our famiy support sytem is broken up, we have trouble connecting with others.

We are told don't be emotional, so we block our feelings, and this women have done for years. So we can not blow off steam without someone feeling scared or upset by our need to vent.

We have trouble escaping from dangerous situations because of lack of funds and the knowledge that there is no one who will help us.

Add this to everything else and depression is understood. We no longer do a lot of physical labor, we have a mass amount of things, cheap and replacceable. We live in cities and yet feel alone, or have to move a lot and have trouble connecting.

Based on all of this, drugs is not the answer. For many with depression they have no goal, no purpose for their life. You can't tell someone, just go join some organization and help people and you will have a purpose.

I go through periods of depression brought on mostly from worry and concern about the fact I will soon be homeless and no matter where I go or what I do I am not getting help or the things I need to leave here.

Going to counseling or giving me drugs, which I would never take as I don't do drugs, will not help me. But the help I need I can't actually get. This is not so differnet for most people. We are so hung up on, give them drugs and counseling and they will be ok.

This is a limited perspective. We as a society keep trying to create a one size fits all approach in every area of our lives because we have lost touch with our creative side and our compassion and understanding and the realization that every one of us is an individual.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
great thread, really good viewpoints.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
All I can say is as an outsider looking in. Depression is very very real. There are people who truly need help. I don't know if its a chemical or spiritual imbalance but what I do know is this person is unhappy and I wish she would be. I've seen her cry far too much. She doesn't like shrinks. Understandably though. A lot of shrinks treat you like a zombie. A lot of people just need someone to truly listen and give them great insight into their problems. These days they'd rather throw pills at you and be done with it. She says she doesn't want to unnecessarily alter her personality with drugs if there could be other ways. I really want to help her.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Thanks for your post Huey, I hope she can find some comfort and understanding, if she can find someone or a group that offers help, that would be great. She may need to talk things through. Its hard to say when I don't know the full situation here. Depression has many different facets, and each person is unique.

So finding the right treatment many be difficult for some. I wish you/she all the best.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Firstly, I would like to say that depression is not a myth, it is a disease of humanity, just as lethal as cancer.

A lot of humans suffer depression, and I believe it is because they have not found their true path in life.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Now this could be seen within one category of human beings. Although it does not equate towards others who are bi-polar, or those with a genetic disposition. Not to mention the amount of chemical imbalances that are due to not only a deficient diet, but drug and alcohol issues. These are all recorded facts in the medical research of health and mental health issues.

It would seem that this debate is "depressing" in itself!

[edit on 7-10-2009 by catalyst2466]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netzar
Depression is biologically conditionned by magnesium deficiency, which is more than common in modern, western people.

Buy 20 grams of Magnesium Chloride for about one dollar, put this in one liter of water, drink one glass a day.

Hi, Id love to hear more about this.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

A lot of humans suffer depression, and I believe it is because they have not found their true path in life.

I dont agree with this, I know where I am going in life, I know where ive been BUT that hasnt stopped me from getting depression.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by letspreadtruth

depression is cureable with a drink? are they for real?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I just realised that there has Already been a huge thread on Depression, that was early this year, its in the BTS-chit chat. Although what prompted me to start this thread was due to the wide misunderstanding that is prevalent. One can only hope that things will change and remove the 'stigma' and raise Awareness of mental illness in our society. So far we have yet a long way to go.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by catalyst2466]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join