It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Underestimated Myth of Depression

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by letspreadtruth

Why are you depressed?

If you know where you are going, what is the problem?

You are so lucky to know where you are going, unless it is to somewhere you do not want to go.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Why are you depressed?

If you know where you are going, what is the problem?

You are so lucky to know where you are going, unless it is to somewhere you do not want to go.

I dont know why, maybe its when something gets in the way of where im going. I honestly cannot tell you what is the cause of my depression. But i can assure you that i am doing everything i can to get out of it and also help people that have gone through the same things as me. Maybe i have been given this to learn and to grow. As i said before i cannot assure you why but i can assure that all that ive been through will be something i learn from and because of it i will become a better person.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
To LetsSpreadTruth; This to me sounds like 'situational depression'- where we feel short and are struggling to attempt our goals, many will experience this as well as other types of 'situational' episodes of depression. To me you sound as though you are on track, maybe either talking to a counsellor can address some of the issues that you find frustrating, and learning ways how to deal with pressure etc; Just a thought...

[edit on 7-10-2009 by catalyst2466]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

OK, good luck to you.

I think that knowing where you are going is 95% of the problem solved.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

I went to a therapist today for the first time, all i need is hope. Hope can do so much for a person especially when your in a bad situation.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I'm glad you have reached out to speak to someone, this also means finding the right person as well. When you say hope, once again I do not know of your situation, and I can only say that I wish you all the best!

So many people remain isolated when there is help out there, finding the right source/group;therapist is what's needed to shed light and understanding amongst human suffering.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Do you want to say what situation you are in?

If not, np.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

I do believe that when a thread changes into short questions and personal chit chat, that it is bunked into the BTS chit chat forum. Please be mindful of your posts. u2u the person, rather than stray from Important points and relevent experiences. If not I guess we will go down to BTS.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

You know something? I do not care about whatever these people will do.

But if you do not want to tell me, that is your right.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Not caring is a non-productive attitude, yes they have a right to include or exclude their personal info; ...but I do care, that is why I have made this post. You either care or you don't. Unfortunately there are too many people that do not give a hoot for anybody let alone a physical/mental/intellectual disability and the like. Poverty, Cruelty to people and/or animals, sad- but this is Reality that Sucks Big Time!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

OK, you know something? What a load of crap - I was trying to open with you, and you are hiding behind crap.

Here, In NZ and Oz, we speak the truth. There, in America, you speak lies.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Hey there must be some misunderstanding. You asked the guy a question, ok; but I feel that when the thread starts to become too narrow in "personal questions" and somewhat off track from the original post, that's when Mods come in and sweep it off. Apart from this I was only saying that I care,
I always have. Also I am from Australia. cheers!
Peace Brother!!!!

[edit on 7-10-2009 by catalyst2466]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Star to the OP.

I struggled for ages without telling anybody, suffering in silence and trying to tell myself there is nothing really wrong just became too much in the end, I nearly exploded, but it's just not the way our family works, we never have, we dont tell each other problems, dont talk about how we feel, it's just the way it has always been, I literally have never said ''i love you'' to any member of my family apart from my nephew and my dog.
I've never hugged my dad or even shook his hand, I could'nt even pat him on the back, so let me tell you it was extremely hard to admit ther was something wrong with me, everybody knew ofcourse, I mean how can you hide it? I was just too out of it to realise.

I'm still embarrased and shamed by it now but there is nothing I can do, it feels like a disease.

anyway

Good thread and some great points raised, thanks

[edit on 7-10-2009 by valiant]

[edit on 7-10-2009 by valiant]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by valiant

There are things you can do talk to someone who will listen, a good counsellor to talk to or a friend. Keeping things locked away will prolong and make matters worse. All the best.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
For those who are serious about curing their depression, they must take into consideration, their diet, and their mental and physical environment.
They may need a friend or family member to help them. The help may necessarily be quit firm.

Remember that your body is made of the food you eat, the air you breathe and the water you drink, as well as parts of everything you touch.

Investigate NLP.

nlp

nlp2

nlp3

There are others; search nlp+depression.

What bothers me about this is that I think this "illness" is partly created by all the TV ads for the various meds. Big bucks for big pharma.
So now you not only have those who have a real problem, but also have those who were suggestable enough to fall under the influence of theose ads.

Watching TV puts you into that suggestable trance state. As always there are those who ar unaffected. It is the other group that is vulnerable...these are the same folk who would be chozen by a stage hypnotist for his demonstartions.

trance/hypnosis

trance research

depression - half way down the page

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Oh sorry I did not say in my first post, i've had counselling/medication allthough not for last two years and im far far better now, I just meant it's with me for life now, ya know one day im elated and the next I feel like hell and retreat away for a day or so, im like a yo yo/ up and down, but thankfully never been as low as that first time, im just prone to happy and sad mood swings now.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
thankyou for the post.
i have always suffered depression which i blamed on my parents being alcoholic. it became terrible when my dad was murdered 7 years ago, i started drinking heavily, i lost my job and my partner. my family did not speak to me. i was a mess and even tried to kill myself. i could not take it anymore. i became really ill. i had a breakdown and didnt leave my home for 7 months.
i had an experience that i dont really understand.. i had been drinking, not eating and just on my own for the 7 months.i was on my knees crawling about the floor as i could not walk anymore (muscular atrophy) and caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror. i didnt recognise myself. i had lost so much weight and looked like i was dying from drinking each day into oblivion. i was in pain and i asked the universe if there was a god .. please help me now. i shouted it then cried for hours.

i am now 4 years sober, have a great boyfriend, two cats, a nice flat, a great job - as a holistic therapist, am talking to my family again, and i stopped smoking as i have a healthy lifestyle. i have got qualifications, confidence, respect, friends and i love life most of the time.. although at times i still get down like everyone else.

i still dont really know what happened... it was as if the universe helped me.i could not have done it alone. i went to a help group and got counselling yes. i also stopped drinking from the moment i asked for help.. and later stop smoking. i started eating healthy and getting lots of excersise.

i am still on anti depressant meds. it has been a rollercoaster of a ride. but i got through it. may be i will get off them one day.. but i am doing well just now.
one thing i did notice was that reiki helped balance me. i am on the holistic path now.. i do massage, aromatherapy, reiki, reflexology and other energy healing. now i am on my path i am feeling better. i am more balanced and insynch with source. it took time, patience and real determination.. it was worth it. i just took life a day at a time, and i believed that i deserve to be here and be happy!!!!!!

s&f
love and light
ps

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Thank you for your post, What An Amazing Feat! Thank you so much for sharing this profound story. Its experiences like this that open the door to
"Inspire" others.

I wish you all the Happiness in the years to come!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This has been one of those threads that I have continued to let go by because i just couldn't deal with talking about it. For the moment I can, though it may be disjointed.

I had to step away for a bit before continuing and find I can't, maybe another day.

This is a very important thread and I would like to add to it from personal experience and medical knowledge but because it is so personal it is hard to post an unbiased message except to say.

It doesn't matter what anyone says, some types of depression can not be helped except by the will power of the person depressed...and when you are depressed, you have no will power.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by liveandlearn]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
My theory is you do what best suit's you. No One Has the Right To JUDGE.
.../2line.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by catalyst2466]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join