It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Underestimated Myth of Depression

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Why is that so many people still underestimate the illness of Depression. There is still a lack of understanding of this mental illness. As of late I have seen a number of shocking posts in regard to people suffering from depression. There really Needs to be More Awareness of this mental condition. People are quick to judge and accuse the person of "self pity" or self obsession", whilst we can All be guilty of these traits from time to time, but depression is a deeper condition that can quickly take place over a period of time. Medication I feel is a temporary relief, and Therapy is an alternative that Does Not Help all afflicted. The stigma surrounding this growing illness in our Society still yet needs to be fully Understood and Addressed.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by catalyst2466]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
One neurologist put it as such, fairly misquoted from my memory though.

"You can see a broken leg, and see it needs healing, you can see an ingrown nail, and see what you need to do, you cannot see, a symptom or disorder, you can only fairly at best, see the side effects, but since you cannot see it, you do not understand the pain of it".

Here is a neat video for you...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
There are those who have never suffered real depression, nor have they known anyone close to them that has. These are the people who do not understand or offer their compassion. I'm not talking about mild depression that one can somehow snap out of. There are individuals that simply cannot get beyond it. Meds are tricky as the person has to find the right med at the right dose where they can feel normal and not like a zombie. Some meds can't be tolerated, so it is a trial and error thing.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Our modern society is good at slinging around the term "depressed" for just about anything. "My girlfriend dumped me. I am so depressed". It is hard to tell if someone actually has depression or is just a sissy. ESPECIALLY on an internet forum. And too many Doctors are good at giving prescriptions for just about anything, just so they can make a few more endorsement bucks.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Depression is biologically conditionned by magnesium deficiency, which is more than common in modern, western people.

Buy 20 grams of Magnesium Chloride for about one dollar, put this in one liter of water, drink one glass a day.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netzar
Depression is biologically conditionned by magnesium deficiency, which is more than common in modern, western people.

Buy 20 grams of Magnesium Chloride for about one dollar, put this in one liter of water, drink one glass a day.

I don't suffer from depression but if anyone is interested in food additives and their connection to depression here are a few great links:

Regarding MSG (monosodium glutamate, which is in a LOT of processed foods):

www.msgtruth.org...

Regarding the poison known as Aspartame/phenylalanine:

www.buzzle.com...

Consider the fact that many foods contain these two additives, from soda to potato chips to gum, and while Aspartame/phenylalanine is clearly marked on the label (if you read ingredients) MSG isn't. Some products will state monosodium glutamate, but it is also known by other names such as:

* Autolyzed yeast
* Calcium caseinate
* Gelatin
* Glutamate
* Glutamic acid
* Hydrolyzed protein
* Monopotassium glutamate
* Sodium caseinate
* Textured protein
* Yeast extract
* Yeast food
* Yeast Nutrient
Source: nikas-culinaria.com...

If anyone here suffers from depression, perhaps you can try eliminating these two known neurotoxins from your diet to see if that helps at all.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
As long as there is a limit put on technological advances and sciences, then we will not fully understand the brain, let alone our minds.

A person's state of depression is largely based on the current state of society.

As long as all of us are not free, then none of us are free.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thank you for your post Night Star, I myself have been on and off on meds, when in fact I suffered in Silence for a long time due to stigma, but also because I was Against Psychiatric medication. The thing is I find that taking medication is really a Miracle in Relieving any Severe Depression, but after that the after effects weigh over the initial benefits. I constantly feel drowsy and a sense of a "Surreal" enclosure in terms of a daily dose of life. Where as without the meds I am very sharp, but will have days of being Very on edge, and probably quite a range of unwanted symptoms, such as being up all night having racing thoughts and heightened energy, then leading to depression. So to try and "Classify the Normality" -of Living a "Normal Life" I do not fit the bill. I may be bipolar I'm not so sure.
...though does it mean you could ever Live a Normal Life, without being medicated. Medication really "Zombies" me Out!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Netzar

This is an interesting Concept, I would like to hear more!
testing, testing, cough- 2nd Line

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
after having extensive radiotherapy on my brain in 2002, I was told that i would possibly suffer from depression due to a chemical imbalance produced by the radiation(not to mention coming to terms with a brain tumour at 23). In 2004 i had what can only be described as a mental breakdown, I have been on anti depressants ever since.

going through depression is such a horrible experience, that locks you into a viscous circle. You don't want to go out with your friends as you feel you'll only bring them down with you so you spend more time being alone and depressed. It is really destructive and can take some time to recognise. with me I was spending days alone crying into my pillow.

As soon as I started my anti depressants, my mood improved. i have always been a happy go lucky kind of person and had never been depressed before. i'm pleased to say it didn't last long, but what i experienced was grim and i wouldn't wish it on anyone.

People can be pretty unsympathetic when it comes to depression. People just want to tell you to cheer up and get on with things. It's not that easy.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Probably as like someone else said depression is now such a common word to describe sadness etc that it has diluted it's meaning.People go to the docs and get ssri's,maoi's less commonly for absolutely anything.Which alot of the time could be remedied with simply some time and talk.If you can still function in day to day life medication should not be given under any circumstance to someone ,meds don't cure people of depression they simply try and keep them balanced enough until the deeper issues have been resolved.Of course i don't think people should fall into the trap that alot of people do and say how can he/she be depressed about *insert here* because it sounds trivial to you and something easily brushed off.I hear that alot when it relates to someone suffering from depression,it's hard for people who have not experienced it to understand how something that seems trivial to a level minded person can effect a depressed mind quite severely.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
In this so called modern civilised world

1/ Humans who have a contoured cute rounded ass that transports "bodily waste into the Earth" are more likely to readily find partners.
2/ People who have rows of ultra white teeeth that people focus on ,instead of the eyes are in good stead for being accepted and being popular,regardless of the cold evil in their eyes?
3/ People who smile often (regardless of intent) are rewarded , whilst those who only smile with honesty are shunned.... when they frown?
4/People who are confused and ask instead of give are given wide berths.
5/People who come at a cost are shunned, whilst those with attributes we desire... that can be partaked in by mere association are embraced?
6/Winners are grinners, losers are alone?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Having looked at this vid; I can honestly say it is quite fascinating! ...but why is it you don't see the end results, that is 2 to 5yrs down the track to see whether this keeps up or not. I also don't know about the brain micro-chips, this is almost like "Programing Humans" in a sense of Artificial Intelligence. -Not "Natural". ...but then again is Medication natural???

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
This is a very serious issue and none here should make light of it, severe manic depression often leads to suicide. I know, I am diagnosed I feel correctly, as manic depressive and I know the depths of hell depression can lead too.
Thank you op for posting this thread,I will participate as time allows for those who have questions.

I too spent years depressed without actually knowing what was wrong maybe as much as 25 years of my life I lived with untreated depression and all the misery that leads too. I'm still trying to pinpoint where it began.

I am now taking a medicine that has literally saved my life and am so thankful for it I cannot put it into words. To the op or anyone who suffers from depression the medicine that worked for me (no dopey feeling) was 6mg of symbyax,you may want to ask your doctor about this,I take it at night before bed with so far no ill side effects. For some reason and I think symbyax is a mixture of the two, my doctor has me now taking prozac and zyprexa. I know the stigma and I know that I may very well open myself up here but I care not. The medicine has made a huge change in my life and I will not be ashamed of treatment that I attribute to litterally saving my life.

I am no expert and only offer my op, under no circumstances should any medication be taken without a doctors consultation.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
i wonder how many people that suffer from depression have an high IQ. I cant say this with any fact just an opinion but I will say that for those with high IQ i think depression comes from the subconcious mind. After All if you have an high Iq why would you want to live in this day and age. If you take a look at the whole picture of mankind you will realise that despite having the most powerful intelligent mind in the known universe they have the wisdom less of a gnat and that is insulting the gnat....

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Well years ago when I took the military asvab I scored among the top 5% in the nation.
Being very empathetic doesnt help niether.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by nickoli
Well years ago when I took the military asvab I scored among the top 5% in the nation.
Being very empathetic doesnt help niether.

neither the ability to spell. Doesn't say a lot for the rest of us thickos

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
To Nicoli, Very Interesting Perception, thinking deeply and having the ability to analyse especially in the abstract round of the "subconscious mind"-

This ability is definately extraordinary, though I do think it also has the power to overwhelm the "ordinary senses"of the mind. This is where there is a fine line between madness and a sane sense of mind.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
LOL I thought about that one when I typed it, the old i before e except after c rule stumps me quite often. I never claimed to be perfect either.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

Yes, there is another thread in this forum that describes what the author thinks are bizarre mental disorders.

Sort of rude, I believe, since I have been diagnosed with one of the conditions along with bi-polar disorder, and also another condition known as borderline personality disorder.

Depression often has other conditions to go along with it, and it is often not a stand alone illness.

I believe every mind is unique, like a fingerprint, and like others have said, finding a medication, or therapy that works for you, can take a long time.

Until a person walks in the shoes of a person who has a mental disorder, they should not knock it.

Also, there are some people with mental disorders who are nuts, but having a mental disorder alone doesn't make a person a nut. For myself, it has made me an extremely creative. My mind just works differently than others.

Mental disorders are a true illness, just like any physical illness in my opinion. Like a person in this thread pointed out, people don't understand it sometimes because they can't see it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join