It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is boredom a good enough reason to commit suicide?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus

Originally posted by andy1033
Do you think persecuted people want the life they have, no they are like that because there life is not there own, and people have trampled all over them.

It is a proverb that Life Sucks! Next to Death and Taxes, that is one of the few constants. However, as I mentioned before it is that way for a purpose. Life would have little worthwhile meaning if it did not suck. No one asks for life to suck, it just happens (Sh*t Happens). However, the differentiation between those who choose to live their life regardless of what adversity befalls them and those that don't is whether you want to be a victim or whether you want to live your own life. Do you settle for what befalls you and merely survive, or do you forge your own destiny and truly live? That is what it all comes down to.

When adversity happens, look at it as an opportunity to learn, to grow, to overcome. If you cannot do that, then learn to laugh a little...because all things must pass...and no matter what may befall you in life, it isn't the end and it isn't going to last forever. You sometimes have to take a step back to see things in their proper perspective.

Ultimately the choice is yours to decide whether you passively accept what befalls you and are carried to whatever end may be in store, or whether you make a conscious act of will to not allow your surroundings or circumstance to limit you and decide to live your own life and chose to truly live.

Basically, when life gives you a lemon, make lemonade! You might be able to survive off of just lemons, but you can't live off them, but on the other hand no life is complete without lemonade!

Why not both? I passively accept what is, while consciously choosing to act on whatever circumstances unfold.

Everything effects everything else. We can influence the world to some extent, but are foolish to think we can supersede the influence of everyone and everything around us. That's just naivety.

We control ourselves, while influencing our surroundings, more or less as everyone else. There ARE situations and circumstances where our options become somewhat limited. That's reality. As our mind is limited by the feedback-mechanism of sensation and perception over time, so to are our possible outcomes.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Two of the primary symptoms of depression are loss of interest, and fatigue.

Treat the depression, and you will successfully treat the boredom.

I cannot imagine being that bored. Get a hobby. Completely change your life. Stop self-obsessing. Focus on your family or somebody else. Anybody but you.
Get your body back in shape. Join a gym and work out. Swim laps.

To have the energy and motivation to do any of the above, you must first treat the depression, which this day and time is highly treatable.

Do it for yourself and your family. Seek treatment.

[edit on 9/30/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Absolutely not!!

You wanna see boring, move to a hut in a middle-eastern desert.

If you are going to end your life, for the Love of God stay alive to benefit someone elses life.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Less graciously expressed than ladyinwaiting...

"Boredom" isn't why the guy wants to commit suicide. He is clinically depressed - you remember, chapter 14 of the Psych 101 textbook, the section about male midlife crisis? Male menopause if you don't worry about political correctness. What this guy writes is just that stereotypical.

A healthcare provider will fix him right up. A few sessions of counseling about how his careerist one-sided ego stance has caught up with him, some anti-depressants to dull the edge, maybe a little dream work, and all will be well.

Self-administered euthanasia for an easily treatable illness is stupid.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
"Only stupid people get bored"

And with that, yes being stupid is enough to kill one's elf

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by chillpill

Desiring inner "Self-fulfillment" and "Self obsession" are two different things. Treating depression as the underlying cause is what needs to be addressed here. Which by the way needs to be addressed in a "Professional" way that is caring and of no "Derogation" of the person involved. I wish you luck. Also having spiritual worth is highly recommended in finding the "Purpose" in life.

Try exploring the esoteric teachings that have much to explain on the relevance of Human existence.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I was at one point very much where this man is. I wondered the same things and thought that maybe it would be better if the resources that I consume were instead used by someone else who wanted to be here. Over time, I came to be something of a "Disaster Junkie" if you will. Hurricane Katrina, the Tsunami, 9/11 etc etc taught me that whether you actually take part in the world, it will always have new and interesting things for you to witness.

Maybe being a witness to history is enough. Maybe not. For me? It is. Hence? I am still here. If I off myself tomorrow, will disclosure happen the next day? Will I miss out on finding out that I'm a Father to a child I never knew I had? Will an asteroid crash into the Pacific Ocean ending life on Earth and I chose such a boring out as suicide? This is elementary to me.

Also, I want to be that crotchety old man who shakes his fist and tells those damned kids to "GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!!"

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

My opinion?

Sure, you own your body and your life. On one condition: you can't expect anyone to clean up after you, unless they explicitly agree to beforehand, knowing the full scope of your intentions.

I don't mean just your skull fragments and cranial contents that are all over the floor and wall or the fecal matter filling your pants, but your personal effects, bills, funeral, burial, family notifications, etc.

If you're bored enough to do it, take responsibility for you actions and ensure that the cleaning lady isn't going to have nightmares of you swinging from the ac vent.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I will say this much I have learned from the army. Suicide is not the answer but it is an option.

Imo there is no good reason for it as in I think it is a week person’s way out. On the other side of the coin everybody has their lows some are lower than others.

It could be due to a chemical imbalance or boredom or loneliness who is to say why we do anything we do.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

SOMEONE GET THIS MAN AN ATS ACCOUNT!!!

i mean seriously! lol

...what's boring about life when there's so much to learn about that we don't know???

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Okay, according to some posts here, this "bored" man should not be such a coward and play more video games....

I would say yes. There is a decline that comes with age, after 35 you are pretty much done. I have yet to get there, but when I do, I will not hesitate. Hesitation is for cowards who think video games is a meaningful activity to do with one's time. Just sayin'.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Yes of course it is.

It may seem controversial to think so, but everyone has the right to end his life if he wishes in my book.

I would love life if:

- Politics meant truly improving the world, people treated eachother better, life wasnt about stepping on someone else to get ahead, treating animals the way we do should get you shot, kindness would be everywhere etc etc.

But the future will be:

- More control over people, less freedom, more superficial people taking over completely, media becoming more and more about ego people, animals getting exploited even harder, cybernetics, chemical warfare, lies, deceits etc.

People feeling there is no point are the sane ones in a insane world. Some people need more meaning than a new iphone and a family. What good is anyone really doing?

Yeah you can be happy. But only by not caring weather or not the world is great for everybody.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
he just needs to be thrown in a life threatening situation,

i almost drowned in some rapids couple years back.... made me really appreciate life

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
Okay, according to some posts here, this "bored" man should not be such a coward and play more video games....

I would say yes. There is a decline that comes with age, after 35 you are pretty much done. I have yet to get there, but when I do, I will not hesitate. Hesitation is for cowards who think video games is a meaningful activity to do with one's time. Just sayin'.

So by your reasoning people should just off themselves after 35??? Thats laughable.

Some of you honestly think that with all the things there are to do in this world, all the hobbies, all the sites to see, all the different people to meet, all the different cultures to expierence, all the.... you get the point the posibilities are endless, you can actually get bored? Well Boo you sir.

Like i said earlier get a dog, learn to fly, learn a new language and go use it, getting your butt off your shoulders would be a perfect place to start.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I say if the man wants to off himself, who are we to say no. Afterall, boredom is just the heightened state of self absorbtion and self centeredness.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I dont really think that there is a good enough reason to commit suicide. However it is your life, and if someone is contemplating killing themselves, they obviously don't care about the feelings of those that they would be leaving behind, so what does it really matter if thier reason for doing so was good enough or not?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Just like others on this board, I simply cannot imagine being bored, much less to the point of suicide. If this happens to someone (not sure), they must be genuinely sick or something. Not only I'm never bored, but I'm craving some time off from all these activities which I mostly enjoy - work, kids, writing music, riding my bike, playing computer games, reading etc. I can't fathom how anyone can be bored.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I think what this man suffers is from in a form of melancholy. In the sense that he has seen all that life has to offer, and he doesn't care anymore. The game of "life" has become boring, and he simply wants off.

Judging from his words, he is apathetic to those around him, and probably in the past used them for his own "means". Now that his self motivation is totally spent. He can't find the power in himself to continue. He belittles those who seek motivation out side themselves, yet limits the terminology of life by his own definitions.

The only person to "convince" him would be himself. He dwells in his egotistical pity, and while the rest of the world "attempts" to help other as themselves. He dwells in his self pitty, and makes fun of those who find meaning beyond themselves.

For me, self worth comes from helping others. Life sucks, so sad. Accept it, get on with life. I am not the center of the world, I am nothing, my worth comes from serving others not myself. And if my worth is but my self and my possessions, then let this dog die in his own vomit. I find happiness in what little I have, and friendships that I keep. Moderation is the key to enjoyment, and give excess to those in need.

Seek Epicureanism instead of hedonism.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by msnevil

You make a lot of assumptions. I have given to my community and to others all my life, as a firefighter, Victim Advocate and other jobs as well as money and things.

But here I am today and there is no help for me. Life seems without meaning and this is from someone who has died and seen the presence of the unnameable One.

So I know what waits for me. Being here is at times intolerable. I give and give and give, and yet made to feel like sht if I ask for help.

Jesus told us to ask and he even gave instructions in Matthew 5:42 which very few actually take into account.

Am I bored, no I just can't enjoy life as I can't go anywhere or do anything because humans reduce everything to a piece of green paper and without it you are considered worthless.

You always have quick comebacks, "get a job," "we will pray for you," "its your karma." Yet actually getting off your butts and doing something seems beyond you.

So you sit here and judge this man you have never met and tear him down and pass your opinions on his mental state without even reaching out to get to know him personally.

It is so easy for you to throw stones, and so hard to actually understand and care.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The world has become the size of your computer monitor. There is nothing left to discover, nothing left to learn. It's all there on the internet. Nothing is a wonder any longer. Many people feel that way.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join