It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile Phone (Vibrating thigh Syndrome)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Can't say this has happened to me...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Abig yes here even when i dont have the phone on me... strange

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It's never happened to me, and I keep my Motorola W385 (Verizon) on vibrate and ring in my pocket. I'm not discounting those who have had it happen, I'm just saying it hasn't happened to me personally.

I try to use landlines when I'm at home. I enjoy using my rotary phones. They have excellent sound quality, ring, and are fun to dial.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I remember a news thing about this some years ago.

Its really nothing new, I haven't experience this quite exactly since most of my phones don't vibrate when they ring and I generally don't set them to vibrate. I do "hear" my phone ring sometimes when it hasn't. When I was younger back when they were the thing I wore a pager and it was always on vibrate. I used to feel it go off alot when it was on me or off when it hadn't.

I also used to hear my mother call my name alot when I was a kid even though she hadn't.

I think it basically comes down to repetion. If your phone is constantly going off I think you get "used" to the sensations and behaviors. My phone rings alot and I usually "hear" it ring when it hasn't for a while. Guess its my brains way of saying "I'm usually on the phone by now."

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
YEs YEs.. This totally happened to me for a while, especially in the location my phone would sit in my cargo shorts. The vibrating thigh had ceased shortly after not carrying my phone on my person and switching out to blue tooth for phone conversations. I always suspected the phone had something to do with it and it did... How??? I still do not know. This happened with the Motorola Razor and iPhone....

Keep it in a jacket or somewhere else, but don't keep it close on your body... If your a male, a purse may not be an option...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Love what you people are doing here... Totally feld the vibration in my hip area.... Gave up the cell phone a couple of months ago... And I've been feeling it ever since.... Crazy

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

i didnt know what was causing the vibration,i kept thinking my work pager was going off,but it never did,when i felt the vibrating in my thigh,it ussaully feels closer to my groin,obviously its a real syndrome,because i have had this vibration many times.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
cool thread S+F
this happens to me at least 3 times a day but my phone is constantly on silent only makes noise when the alarm goes of but i have also had the sweaty ear when you talk on the phone too long it just gets hot and starts to sweat but never a burning hot sensation just a warmth if you will.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Yes! I used to keep my phone in my left pocket until I started getting this sensation. felt like my phone was vibrating in the exact spot where it would be if it was actually there. It was around the time the brain tumer from cell phone reports where making rounds on the news.

So I decided to keep it off my body whenever possible, car seat, desk etc. Took it about three months to go away. I think its called RADIATION!

One of those shhhh we might lose money deals that are so rare

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
i have experienced this same thing. I never told anyone, but it sure happens. I dont even carry my phone in my pocket all of the time.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
OMG Ive always noticed this, but thought my mind was just playing tricks on me. Amazing to see how many people have experienced the same thing.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
This happens to me a lot when I am driving and the phone is in its hands free cradle is strange, I think it is due to your brain associating the phone ringing with the sensation so almost expects it to the point of making the vibration itself. The human mind is a strange and powerful thing

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

I usually carry my cell in my left pant pocket on "vibe-ring" mode.There were many times when i did not have my cell on me that i did feel a vibration from my left pocket,why? I can't remember that happening before ever having a cell.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
OMG I GET THIS!

However, it differs slightly from the OP. I only get it when my phone IS in the pocket next to the thigh. I always reach down, grab my phone "no message" and am like WTF!

Edit to add my theory:

I think that from the constant vibrating over the years that the thigh muscle kind of moulds to the pattern of a vibration. So, at points, the muscle does the action on its own and recreates the vibrating feeling on a specific trigger. For me, it is the trigger of the notion of having the phone in my pocket so the leg feels that the object is there and anticipates the feeling.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by george_gaz]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
never happened to me, it sometimes seems like the phone may be vibrating when you are doing some activities, but its just hwen it actually rubs against your leg or something, besides i always have it on the loud regime, so i hear it first ^^

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Glad to see that I'm not going crazy. I get that all the time. Thinking that I am receiving a call, just to look down and either see that nobody rang, or that I don't even have the phone with me.

Strange indeed.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
When I started horse riding many years ago as a teen (I worked on a farm), I had more severe symptoms where my chair would rock right under me when I was having lunch (after a few hours in the saddle). This was going on for quite some time. I think this is a normal way for your body to learn the new stimulus and adjust to it. People who start playing ping pong tell me that they hear the sound of the ball bouncing every night. Same thing.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I don't carry a phone, but when I was a little boy I played Pokemon(gameboy game) so much, I constantly thought I could hear the music even when the game was off. I played the life out of that game, and there were times I would get out of the shower, or get out of bed to check if it was off.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by iHateMasses]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Wow, I never expected such a response, I'd like to thank everyone who's posted their experiences with Phantom phone Syndrome.
Especially Pauligirl's write up from ABC news.

Cheers and have a good weekend one and all

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I have been getting this in the last few days, and no it's not in my head.

Very strange that so many are reporting the same. This deserves to be studied by a qualified medical scientist. What has changed to cause this? Only lately has this been happening.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join