It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile Phone (Vibrating thigh Syndrome)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
My thanks to everyone who has responded so far, it seems it's even more widespread than I first thought.

I think my next move is to ask a doctor for their opinion, but I like the idea MidnightBrigade said about Muscle memory.

Lets see who else has any theories on this phenomenon !!

Thanks again

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD!

As soon as you check your phone and realise it isn't ringing (or even in your pocket) then the vibrating stops, right?

It's like when you think you hear your phone ringing so you concentrate and listen harder for a bit and realise it isn't. And no that isn't caused by EMI.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
Strange thing, but I will concur with the rest of the users. vibrating in my pocket even when no cell phone there. The brain must learn this sensation and occasionally get a false positive. It feels real as if it were happening. It sort of reminds me of twitching muscles. There is something to phantom nerves stimulated but as far as I know, no way to reproduce this on demand.

I think this is probably the best and most likely explanation!

The brain learns the vibrating feeling and then something triggers it.

It would be useful to know how everyone feels before this effect occurs. Maybe it happens more when the person is expecting a call?

The expectation could be the trigger ?

Starred your post!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

It probably just all in the mind however I just find it very strange.

To experience a physical sensation or to think you are experiencing a physical sensation is a little more direct and specific than thinking you heard the phone ring but it didn't.

Even so, that still doesn't explain why someone would imagine their phone vibrating in their pocket when it wasnt, surely theres got to be a little more to it than that?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Strange thing, but I will concur with the rest of the users. vibrating in my pocket even when no cell phone there. The brain must learn this sensation and occasionally get a false positive. It feels real as if it were happening. It sort of reminds me of twitching muscles. There is something to phantom nerves stimulated but as far as I know, no way to reproduce this on demand.

I too believe this could be possible. The brain works in mysterious ways. Like I said it stopped when I gave up my cell. I guess my brain is not anticipating anymore calls. But if we show up with tumors on our legs in ten years we will know what the problem was.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Yep… I used to pull mine out all the time because I thought it was ringing in silent/vibrate mode, and yes, I always owned Motorola Flip Phones. Now I won’t even carry one on my person except for short periods of time, or in an emergency. The rest of the time they are in my car, sitting on a desk somewhere, or in my laptop bag. I have a Lipoma where the antenna used to sit when I wore that phone on my belt religiously. I cannot guarantee that it came from the phone itself, but it’s darn suspicious. I used to notice that when I would talk on them for a long period of time, I would start to get short tempered as well. I am sure there is a lot of stuff about the radiation that they generates effect on the human body, which we will only be learning over the next decade.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I work at a neurology clinic that deals with spinal injuries. The vibrating can be caused by nerve damage. I myself have felt the vibrating, and I do not carry my cell phone in my pocket. One of the Dr's here also has this, and he never carries his phone in his pocket either. This can be a concerning medical condition that you all should talk to your Dr. about.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Guys-

I have read about this a l;ong time ago (as it happens to meand people i know). It was called "phantom virations."

It has to do with poor communication between the muscles and the brain. You'll find that you would feel these vibrations more often if you are around loud music (bass) which can trick your leg muscles, who then send a message to the brain that the part were your cell normally is was vibrating.

So it basically is just a muscle memory trick. I doubt it has anything to do with coffee or exercise. Just a wierd thing about our bodies.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
I work at a neurology clinic that deals with spinal injuries. The vibrating can be caused by nerve damage. I myself have felt the vibrating, and I do not carry my cell phone in my pocket. One of the Dr's here also has this, and he never carries his phone in his pocket either. This can be a concerning medical condition that you all should talk to your Dr. about.

So you have nerve damage yourself?

20+ have replied to this thread so far and you think they all could have nerve damage?

I can assure you that to the best of my knowledge that I don't have any problems with my nervous system.

The amount of people I have spoke to who have experienced this is staggering, there is no possible way through sheer statistical fact that nerve damage is causing this sensation in every single one of them!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by vapedson
Guys-

I have read about this a l;ong time ago (as it happens to meand people i know). It was called "phantom virations."

It has to do with poor communication between the muscles and the brain. You'll find that you would feel these vibrations more often if you are around loud music (bass) which can trick your leg muscles, who then send a message to the brain that the part were your cell normally is was vibrating.

So it basically is just a muscle memory trick. I doubt it has anything to do with coffee or exercise. Just a wierd thing about our bodies.

Interesting! Thanks for that, its being dubbed Phantom Vibration Syndrome

Exercise & Coffee can affect your nervous system in various ways and cause certain feelings and sensations but that isn't the case here.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
The phone in question was a Motorola V525, followed by the V635, now I have an LG viewty, and occasionally I get the vibraleg but not as often as the Motorola's.

Originally posted by snoopyuk
it used to worse before when i had my Motorola v635 flip phone, now i have a Samsung `Solid`, and it doenst seem as bad.

Originally posted by Le Colonel
i had the motorola v525 also and i used to get the vibrating alot. Now I have LG, it still happens a little, but I can ignore it since I took off the vibrate feature.

These posts point to a potential issue. The Motorola phones are among the highest power output phones you can buy:
20 Cell Phones with the Highest Output
All Moto phones have a SAR rating above 1.

Samsung happen to be some of the lowest power output mobile phones and LG is right between the two.

Jon

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by tallwater

Originally posted by Death_Kron

I too believe this could be possible. The brain works in mysterious ways.

I too go along with that explanation.

I often carry 2 phones but haven't experience the phantom vibration. The thing is I never enable vibrate so that kinda rules out em radiation, more likely a muscle memory trick.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
As if this many people have experienced this! It's something I've never actually thought about asking any of my mates, it has happened to me several times though.. always when I've got my phone with me, always same leg (always have my phone in same pocket) although I can't remember it since I've my newest phone so maybe it's something they've managed get rid of?

I had a few samsungs over the last 3 or 4 years and it happened often with those.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Yes, I do. I have bulging disc's in my neck and low back. Degenerative changes in the entire spine can begin in the early twenties. People over work their necks and backs no matter what their profession is. In fact it is an epidemic in America. Approx. 85% of adults have neck or back problems. We have based an entire practice on this.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I am referring to a VIBRATION, NOT A TICK, like when your eye twitches. This is a very distinct VIBRATION, and usually starts right where ones front pocket is.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Ok I thought it was just me. The wierdest thing is that when my phone is actually vibrating in my pocket, I always miss the call!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I've known about this phenomenon for awhile now. 4 years or more. I used to call it phantom vibration syndrome.

I occurs after keeping a phone in your pocket for a month or so and it will quiet if you stop putting the phone in your pocket.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

Definately relate. I have been wondering about this for a decade. I figured there was a sensative nerve there that becomes "aroused". Funny thing is that it becan occuring before I had a vibrating phone.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

i totally agree with you, we are only just seeing the effects,

i was told by an old doctor about 10 yrs ago that he thought mobile phones will be the cigs of this next generation.

snoopyuk

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

thanks for that info

a star for your post sir !!

snoopyuk

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join