It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children being encouraged to engage in sexual practices? Shag bands marketing is just plain wrong.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Shag bands are jelly bracelets that come in a variety of colours. Each colour relates to a sexual practice, ranging from hugs and kisses to full intercourse and oral. If a person snaps someone's "shag band" they have to engage in that sexual act. This is in the marketing on the products themselves. Five year old kids are coming home from school and asking what a "shag" is.

www.shagbands.co.uk...

Am I the only one who thinks that this is downright wrong? Whoever came up with this particular way of marketing these bits of tat should be strung up. Kids nowadays lose their innocence all too soon. Do we really need people seeking to make money out of robbing kids of their innocence even sooner?

Maybe I'm getting old, but this just seems so wrong.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Well they had them in when i was in primary school, so that could have been no later than 1996. To be honest most kids knew what a shag was anyway!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86
Well they had them in when i was in primary school, so that could have been no later than 1996. To be honest most kids knew what a shag was anyway!

That's true, kids are very knowledgable about practically anything considered bad by adults, thanks to the internet.

Not a cool thing, especially if marketed to kids.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CRB86

I am getting old then!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
We had those in middle school. No one actually did anything if you managed to snap one and in all honesty no one knew what most of the different colors meant. Just some overly protective parents.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by serenesupreme]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
About 2 years ago it was big in my school. People mostly just wore it for decoration. If you did manage to snap someones everyone would just have a quick laugh yell some inappropriate innuendo and moved on with the day. Just a fashion trend, nothing more sinister then that

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by serenesupreme

a parent can never be over protective nowadays,protecting your children is a naturally built in emotion in humans.im probably what you would call over protecting so sue me for caring.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This trend is as insidious as the green M&M's!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Oh wow,

keeping up with all this stuff for parents is really quit difficult......it really is!!
Knock on wood I wont be a grandparent any time soon....
What ever happened to koodies in school??

Lets just hope kids of today have the brains nature gave a ant!!

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I have the idea that is yet another conceot like the afore-mentioned green M&M's...just people making stuff up about what probably started as a harmless product. The title of these columns make it sound like the companies purposefully made these bands for shagging...as stated above the shagging occurs whether we wear bands or not and whether we like it or not our kids are occasionally having sex...no bands required

And yes there is such a thing as overprotection when a girl can't watch little mermaid because the castle Ursala lives in looks phallic in nature. I am not saying we should encourage kids to be having sex but come on people...where does it end? I remember back in my HS days Converse was huge. The color shoe laces a girl wore was supposed to determine what acts she is willing to perform. It's all the same smoke but no fire

-Kyo

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is back in the schools again?

I remember hearing about this from my nephew a couple years back when he was either in middle school or just starting high school, he just graduated high school this past year, so you can see how far back it goes.

This whole thing started with promotional bands that are used from everything from companies advertising to breast cancer support, they were in all different colors and kids got a hold of them and somewhere along the way someone made this horrid use of them that went something like if girls got certain ones it meant the had done certain things to boys to get them,(the snapping thing is new, at least to me). Back then it was not marketed, but I guess it doesn’t take big business to see the profit in exploiting minors though . . . . .

It is horrid and companies that make profit off exploiting the children in such ways should definitely be forced to pay penalties, though I can see some high priced lawyer saying “They are marketed to adults, if children got a hold of them the parents should be held accountable.” That is what layers for big business do, turn things around and make things the fault of someone else.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
You said in paragraph two that they were made for adults for other reasons. Then in paragraph 3 you say you blame the companies. If the companies made it for one reason and the kids used it for something else why blame the companies?

Even if Mr or Mrs are aware of it now I have a REAL hard time believing that the CEO's made a bracelet for kid sex. Now if we do wish to ban that then I think the bracelets, M&M's and shoe laces should go as well

I truly don't think these things were made for that purpose so trying to bust the company is a bit much to me

-Kyo

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
These bands are meaningless. I know people from 12 to 17 who wear them, so I've seen a fair few snapped off of the girls wrists. Not a single sexual act was performed because of it.

The guys, well everytime they lost one they'd say something had happened, but I wonder how may guys simple broke their own at home and made a story...

If a teen wants to have sex, they arn't going to wait for someone to snap the right coloured band off their arm...In all honesty, as far as I could tell, it was more often than not, the ones WEARING the bands were not having sex...whilst the ones who never bought any were.

Remember...guys are studs and girls are sluts....fair or not thats the rule of being a teenager, most girls wouldn't want to advertise their sex lives, whilst most guys would want to hype it up a little bit.

[edit on 25-9-2009 by StevenDye]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I feel sick the moment I here the words 'sex' and 'children' in the same sentence (well, if the children are already born I mean) so how anyone can be happy making money out of the two together I will never know. This is one of the few things that make me feel physically sick and I hope they get what's coming to them. Of course, I doubt many kids have used them and followed it through (well, I hope so anyway, but they are kids). If they are that detailed surely they'd be restricted to sex shops anyway?

Ramadwarf on the evils of money

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
but again...these bands weren't made for sex...something totally different...cannot understand at all why we are blaming the band makers

-Kyo

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by juggalo77

Yeah. Trying telling me that a parent can't be over protective, and I'll tell you that you're just plain wrong.

I had an over protective parent and it screwed with my social life. She says the same "Sue me for caring" thing.

Believe me, your child will not appreciate it when you start to get over bearing when they just want to go to their friends house and play video games..

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
welcome to the new millenium
but seriuosly these have been in school for ages...
atleast when i was there 10 years ago

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

oh u think u had it bad bcos ur parents so called messed ur social life and u think u had it bad!!!!!!!!!! at least u had parents around to give a #,see iff u have the same attitude when u have kids.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by juggalo77
reply to post by serenesupreme

a parent can never be over protective nowadays,protecting your children is a naturally built in emotion in humans.im probably what you would call over protecting so sue me for caring.

Over protection of children is one of the worst things a parent can do for their child.

No matter how much over protection you give, the world will still be the same. No matter how much you try and shelter them and filter their view of the world, one day they will see their reality. No matter how much you try to protect them, some day, you will be gone and they will have to face reality.

Humans in general do not learn from the good times, they learn from the hard times. Adversity is what makes certain people, great people. A child that never learns to cope thanks to an overbearing parent, is more likely to act inappropriately when the same parent is no longer around, and studies have proven that.

But to look at the most easy example of over protection doing FAR MORE harm than good, look at sanitation zealots.

You know the types, the parents that are running around after there kids wiping their hands with sanitation clothes, and spraying harsh chemicals on every surface that their kid will come in contact with.

Ironically, it's these kids who are at a much greater risk of Asthma, and other respiratory illnesses. As well as having a much weaker immune system that cannot suitably protect the child when it enters the real world where mom isn't wiping down every surface they touch.

There exists practically no example that I can think of as I write this, where over protection serves its purpose. In almost every case the over protection of an individual always leads to far worse circumstances than the original situation.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by king9072]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by juggalo77
reply to post by Miraj

oh u think u had it bad bcos ur parents so called messed ur social life and u think u had it bad!!!!!!!!!! at least u had parents around to give a #,see iff u have the same attitude when u have kids.

I hope you read my post above. Please do your community a favor and allow a professional to teach your child spelling, grammar and how to logically present a rational conversation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join