It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AK-47: The Ultimate Resistance Rifle

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

If you like shot guns , this is one beast I wouldn't want to come face to face with .
This thing is devastating !

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
All i need is my Sig Sauer. don't wake me up in my sleep.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by exile1981

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

Between any of the modern Military rifle cartridges the one I'd dislike the most of being hit with is the 7.62X39

Sancho

Sorry Sancho but I have to disagree, I don't want to be hit by any of them

So why shouldn't you by corrosive ammo? Other than the obvious more cleaning of the rifle and the ammo can not be reloaded. I haven't found anyone who sells non corrosive ammo in 7.62x39mm.

Personally I prefer 303British or 45-70 as my round of choice but I'm a little odd.

ive just started trying to learn about weapons especially guns as who knows what the future holds, especially with all the 2012 predictions (im not one who fully believes it, but i dont fully doubt it either especially in the world climate we have today)

but im pretty sure reloading, youre talking about basically "remaking" a spent bullet

so what you're saying is you cant reload a ak round? is that correct? if so, is there an easy explanation as to why not this round yet you can with others?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Takka
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

If you like shot guns , this is one beast I wouldn't want to come face to face with .
This thing is devastating !

that shot gun seems unbelievable

a real advancement in technology as far as i know, im going to look into it more online, but if anyone knows more about it, id appreciate it if you put the info up here

interesting such a powerful versatile weapon is more "famous"

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

He's probably referring to the millions of surplus 7.62x39mm out there in these cheap lacquer coated cases. You can't safely or reliably reload them.

If you have the money you can find yourself some 7.62x39mm in nice brass you can reload but having a bunch of fancy pants shinys on hand sort of defeats the whole SHTF surplus stockpiling thing. Definitely defeats the wallet.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

It was on Lock N Load with R. Lee Ermey a couple of weeks ago too.

The relative lack of recoil and muzzle rise was amazing considering what it is.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey

Originally posted by exile1981

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

Between any of the modern Military rifle cartridges the one I'd dislike the most of being hit with is the 7.62X39

Sancho

Sorry Sancho but I have to disagree, I don't want to be hit by any of them

So why shouldn't you by corrosive ammo? Other than the obvious more cleaning of the rifle and the ammo can not be reloaded. I haven't found anyone who sells non corrosive ammo in 7.62x39mm.

Personally I prefer 303British or 45-70 as my round of choice but I'm a little odd.

ive just started trying to learn about weapons especially guns as who knows what the future holds, especially with all the 2012 predictions (im not one who fully believes it, but i dont fully doubt it either especially in the world climate we have today)

but im pretty sure reloading, youre talking about basically "remaking" a spent bullet

so what you're saying is you cant reload a ak round? is that correct? if so, is there an easy explanation as to why not this round yet you can with others?

Reloading is taking a reloadable (boxer primed.. as opposed to berdan primed (non-reloadable) ammunition) shell/case and cleaning, re-priming, adding powder and a projectile to the shell/case. The bullet is the projectile, the thing that leaves the barrel. What you're reloading is the shell. A complete "package" is called a 'round' of ammunition, not a bullet.

Also, someone said that the AK-47 is more accurate than the M4/AR15/M16 platform of weapons and this is simply not the case in most situations. Most AKs that haven't been accurized aren't all that accurate past 200 yards, while the AR (btw, for those that don't know the AR in AR15 does NOT mean assault rifle, it stands for 'armalite rifle') platform is much more accurate out of a non-tuned weapon. I'm not saying the AK47 CAN'T be accurate, but a more accurate off the shelf .308/7.62 caliber weapon would be the SKS.

This is my opinion on the matter based on what I've learned from people who have used both. I only own an ar15 so I can't comment from personal experience with an AK47.

On the whole though, what is going to determine accuracy is your own experience and training with the weapon and rifles in general. You can give the most accurate weapon in the world to a crappy shooter and he'll negate all the benefit it provides.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey

I've only started reloading rounds in the last year so in no way am I an expert. When you reload ammo you need to resize the case (they get longer with each use), replace the primer, reload new powder into it and lastly put a new bullet in the end.

I have heard from a few people that you need to be cautious with imported overseas 7.62x39mm rounds as many do not have the ability to have a new primer inserted. Also some cheap rounds made in china do not use a normal brass case so those can't be reloaded either. I know some US companies make rounds for the AK that are designed to be reloaded, I just find the cheaper ammo in the wooden crates shouldn't be.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I have the WASR-10/63 AK-47 and I have fired an M16, military, yay. I much prefer the AK-47 over the M16. I have found a store out here in Las Vegas that sells a box of 20 rounds for $5 a piece!!... Obviously the round is cheaper than most but it works. I can get decent groupings at about 100 yards, which isn't bad.

The AK-47 stands for REVOLUTION. Pure and simple.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
some hot AK action

love that sound

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
AK is by far the best for mass destruction!
They should have taken all of them as WMD in Iraq... at least we could have said we did find WMD

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Your source is some what in-accurate.

The .223 is actually 5.56x45mm.

The AK-74 does not fire the .223 round. It fires the 5.45x39mm.

I love AKs. I still need to sight mine in properly. But more or less I just need to learn to aim better. (My dad can aim pretty well with mine, but Im far less accurate)

One of the things I hated about the AK is that it was so damn uncomfortable to hold, and the original stocks are somewhat painful after awhile. So I've put an ergonomic grip with a colapsible stock with a recoil pad on mine.

Whenever I find a job, I plan to put a new scope mount and scope on it.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I've never had a problem with corrosion in the ammo I buy.
Although I clean it right after I shoot it, I don't clean it for corrosive ammo, and my bore is still as good as the day I got it.

There is what is called throat corrosion which is caused by steel casings. This happens because steal casings don't expand all the way as brass casings do, so some of the gasses can start to corrode..

But it takes a lot of rounds before this becomes an issue (I believe it is 100,000 rounds before it would start to hurt.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
the recievers are notorious for cracking , which while they will still fire the accuracy is gone beyond about 50 yards.

Which Receivers milled or stamped?.... I haven't heard of that & I ABUSE my SAR-1 and never had a problem
And as far as accuracy being gone beyond 50 yards....
when people make statements like that it personally just kills credibility with me , Maybe YOUR accuracy is gone beyond about 50 yards Here's a Tip , Sight Alignment and sight picture , natural pause between breaths , slow steady squeeze. I've hit a man sized target at 500 yards consistently with the M-16A2 , But my AK Turns what you previously thought was cover into concealment.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by EyesWideShut]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

After an Ak reciever cracks especially with the stamped ones accuracy suffers, I have seen this in many AK versions usually the reciever will crack just forward of the magazine or right at the joint where the receiver meets the stock.

I dont really care what you think about my credibility. I have been in the firearms business since 1995 and I have seen alot of garbage Ak and Ak clones stamped and supposedly milled and dealt with plenty of disappointed Ak owners, If ya got a good one good for you , The Ak while a good weapon isnt all its made out to be. Buyer Beware as always with any firearm.

I have no problems with accuracy with any weapon I shoot. I really dont need any sighting advice from anyone.

[edit on 9/23/2009 by DarkStormCrow]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Hey, thanks for the videos warrenb. I thought the slowmo was interesting. I really like that weapon

reply to post by Miraj

I understand the source had some errors, but am I wrong when I say People overall liked the thread; including You??? It's fun to gun talk, and the article made a quick conversation of it.

5.56, and .223 at least in the reloading manuals are the same. they both are a .223 diameter.

Now, the obvious NATO differences are because they actually specify the load characteristics of bullets, and powder.

As far as I understand the NATO 5.56 has the SS109 designated bullet. It is a 62gr.(or is it 65) spitzer with a steel core. Green tipped I believe.

I think there are many variables like what I pointed out that distinguish the finer differences.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow

After an Ak reciever cracks especially with the stamped ones accuracy suffers...

I have seen alot of garbage Ak and Ak clones stamped and supposedly milled and dealt with plenty of disappointed Ak owners...

The Ak while a good weapon isnt all its made out to be...

Wouldn't ANY weapon with a cracked Receiver have accuracy problems ? and for most of that statement you can swap AK with AR and have the same argument. The problem with the weapon isn't really a problem with the weapon , It's a problem with the shooter. If you try to Run an AK like an AR , you will have problems , If you try to Ride a Dirt Bike like a Kawasaki Ninja you will have problems , If you try to Drive a Vette like an F-150 Guess what?... PROBLEMS!!! The AK was Never designed for 1 MOA accuracy , It was never designed for room clearing , It wasn't made to be "Tacticool" with bells and whistles on it. It was made to fire Alotta rounds , keep heads down , and go bang every time. It's not a Safe Queen & you can feed it ANYTHING... It's UGLY it & has sharp edges , It doesn't have the best EG's but If you've ever been on the Business end and seen 1st hand what it does , you'll become a believer! If I'm on the range and we're having a keyholing competition then sure , I'll take an AR... When the SHTF and I need to unleash hell out of a barrel... I'll take my AK.

S&F AK FTW!!!

[edit on 23-9-2009 by EyesWideShut]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I think you misread my first post or maybe I wasnt clear enough.
The AK is more likely to crack than the AR, I have fixed enough to know that this is the case, and no I wouldnt suggest treating both weapons the same way.
My statement was more for folks to be careful when buying an AK because there is some garbage out there.
As far as being on the business end of one, I have been on multiple occasions with a purple heart to prove it. So I dont need to be lectured on that.
I will still take an M1A or an M14 over an AK or an AR.
The AK is a KISS weapon and in that it excels, but this mythology that the AK doesnt break and is some kind super weapon is just that mythology.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Hi, I thought I made it clear in the OP, but imho the concept in creating the AK was for it to be repaired very easily in the field, or by poor indigenous Peoples. stamped steel You can fix, but like the AR aluminum alloys aren't so easy

So, beyond that the AK does handle abuses better, but the AR's advantage is accuracy.

The larger weapons You mentioned are good, but I still think the AK is the lowest on the price totem pole.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by D3nyIgnorance

I can get great groupings, while running, and doing combat rolls at a 100 yards with an AR-15. yea, THATS WHATS UP!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join