It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AK-47: The Ultimate Resistance Rifle

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

The AK-47 is one of my favorite weapons. I found this post over at Mike Rivero's whatreallyhappened.com. I guess the time is near for possible armed rebellion; as I've never seen him post something like this.

My personal experiences with a AK-47 are vast. Many People gripe at how crude, or rough the overall weapon is, but I find that as a positive. I learned a long time ago that to straighten one of the factory tweeked, or bent AK is as simple as placing in a vice, and bending it........ Yes, that is correct. The weapon was designed to be fixed, and repaired by poor rice farmers in Southeast Asia, or Russia. From where I am sitting, and the gunsmith that taught me that it is a correct adjustment

After making the "vice adjustment" I've stayed on target at 400m with rapid rates of fire.
The only other thing I know of importance is the killing power of the 7.62X39 round. Depending on the ammunition manufacturer, or country of origin, the round is one of the most effective terminally effective in production.

Between any of the modern Military rifle cartridges the one I'd dislike the most of being hit with is the 7.62X39

Peace, and happy rebellion

Sancho

ncoal.com...

The AK-47 is one of the most popular and easily recognized firearm in the world. Over 50 armies along with hundreds of resistance movements use the weapon. There have been over 50,000,000 AKs produced since the rifle’s creation in 1947.

The main reason for the weapon’s popularity is its dependability in combat. It also delivers a more destructive round than that of its chief rival the M-16. The M-16 and its variant the M-4 shoot a 5.56×41mm(.223) round. The AK-47 fires a 7.62×39mm round.

The following video compares the AK-47 and M-16 on several key functions.

The AK-47 has an effective range of 300 meters, its accuracy can be increased by adding a scope.

There are many variants to the assault rifle which include the MAK-90, RPK, AKM, AKK, and the AK 74, which fires a .223 round, the same fired by the M-16. An increasingly popular variant is the Saiga-308 which fires a 7.62×51mm(.308) round.

Another feature of the rifle is that it has high capacity magazines. They come in 5, 10, 20, 30, and 45 round capacities. There’s even a 75 round drum available for the rifle.

Up until the recent presidential election AKs could be bought for under $500. They can still be bought for that price but it’s much more difficult to find one for under $500. To get a good quality rifle now you’d be looking at close to $700 or more. Some of the places you may choose to shop are gun shows, gun shops and pawn shops. You may also want to browse your local classified ads to see if anyone is selling a rifle.

Ammunition for the rifle was widely available up until a few months ago. Some online ammo retailers include jgsales.com, cheaperthandirt.com, and sportsmansguide.com. Be sure to buy non-corrosive rounds when purchasing ammo. The above mentioned retailers also provide accessories for the rifle including scopes, slings and sight adjustment tools.

For those who find the AK-47 beyond their budget there is another assault rifle called the SKS which fires the same round as the AK. The SKS has some drawbacks compared to the AK, but overall it’s a great weapon. You may also want to consider taking a look at the Mosin-Nagant rifle, these rifles can be picked up for as little as $120 in good condition.

The key to finding good deals on rifles and ammunition is to shop around and compare quality and price among sellers.

Happy Shopping!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
good thread(: im sure alot of people know allready how great the ak47 is but still.,as u seepeople ak47 is far greater then m16,it can get in sand,water,a car on top of it,and it will still fire!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
dont mind the fools,thinking m16 is more accurate,more accurate my ass,ak47 is more accurate and in longer range too^^

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hey are you sure you are not a mexican narco?

just kidding
"cuerno de chivo" is one of the favorites weapons from criminals from this side of the river

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

Between any of the modern Military rifle cartridges the one I'd dislike the most of being hit with is the 7.62X39

Sancho

Sorry Sancho but I have to disagree, I don't want to be hit by any of them

So why shouldn't you by corrosive ammo? Other than the obvious more cleaning of the rifle and the ammo can not be reloaded. I haven't found anyone who sells non corrosive ammo in 7.62x39mm.

Personally I prefer 303British or 45-70 as my round of choice but I'm a little odd.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

I have always liked the Ak more. I think the AR is a fine weapon as well, but I'd rather have the ak.

Blackwater was using them extensively in Iraq; they had a gunsmith who apparently made them function with excessively short barrels. The pictures I saw of them were very neat.

reply to post by dominuz

Shhhh, don't tell no body
I'd think a criminal of the basic street thug type would like any kind of Boom stick they could lay their hands on.

reply to post by exile1981

You've got me on the corrosive part. I didn't know all the 7.62X39 was corrosive; heck I didn't think much of it was. I've never incurred any barrel fowling, or the usual effects of corrosive ammo......... I've got an ole' 8mm Mauser that has most definitely seen better days; much of that ammo is corrosive, and I can see the effects.

Um, both the .303, and 45-70 are great rounds....

Last time I checked the .303 was the cartridge that had taken the most big game in Africa, but that's kinda a no brainer. It was the weapon which was available since the Brit's controlled mucho territory there.

The 45-70 is an interesting round as it was test fired I believe in New Jersey on the beach. They were shooting at 2500, and 3500 yards. The targets were the size of billboards, and made of planked wood.

The idea of that cartridge originally was for trench warfare where it literally would, or could be used as almost an artillery round dropping in from above......... It's a most definite "lobbing" round, and even at a short distance needs the elevation adjusted.

I know originally the pressure on that round was like 15k cup, but with the modern Winchester, and other makes it is easily attaining cup pressures in excess of 35k to 50k. The round is truly modernized, but still is a lobber.

I like them both, the 303, and the 45-70, but in a rebellion state, or survival one of the main weapons overall that I'd pick is the ak.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

I love my AK. Picked it up right before the election for $500, brand new, with a sweet bayonette, and 3 extra banana clips. Probably the best gun purchase Ive made. I agree that in a civil unrest situation it would be the best all around ; doesnt need to be cleaned, reliable, easy to field strip, and with 30+ rounds on semi auto you could last a good amount of time without having to reload. I picked up a Mosin Nagant at Big 5 for $69. Great condition and amazing accuracy with a huge round. I'd start with the Mosin, wait till the fight comes a lil closer, bust out the AK, then have a handgun holstered. Great thread

link   
I like the 45-70, my modern one is a single shot rifle with a 32" barrel for long range threat removal. My 303 is a bolt action and kicks like a mule, lots of noise. Both of those rounds made the transition from black powder to smokeless and I figure if the SHTF then I can always reload with black powder.

I've been thinking of getting a 7.62x39mm rifle... but the AK is a restricted weapon in Canada. I was looking at three different ones, two by Norinco the SKS and the JW-103. The JW has a 5 round removable mag, the SKS has a fixed 5 round mag. The other one I looked at is the Ruger 10/30. The SKS is under $150, the JW under $200 and the Ruger is over $700

link   
This a very interesting doco on the subject

Guy says if he was lost on an alien planet and he could take only one firearm it would be the trusty AK_47 , I want one

[edit on 23-9-2009 by Takka]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Nothing I have ever heard sounds like and instils fear like an AK firing full auto..... I have seen the results of being hit by one on many occasions and am glad I was fortunate enough to be spared the experience.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I much prefer my SKS to the AK-47. I will agree that the 7.62x39 is a nice round though and pretty easy to come by.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

The M-16 and its variant the M-4 shoot a 5.56×41mm(.223) round.

The M16 fires 5.56 x 45 NATO

There are many variants to the assault rifle which include the MAK-90, RPK, AKM, AKK, and the AK 74, which fires a .223 round, the same fired by the M-16.

The AK-74 fires 5.45 x 39 round, not .223. Saiga does make one that fires 5.56 NATO or .223, though.

Just wanted to correct a few things. I agree for the average freedom fighter the AK is an ideal weapon for all the reasons you stated.

If I had my druthers I would have an AKS-74U, short barrel carbine. Light, handy, and more rounds to the pound with the 5.45mm.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
No modern weapon has brought more misery to mankind than
the ak47.
Every day tens of millions of people around the world, live their daily lives in fear of hearing that distinctive report, whether it be government forces or your "resistance movments".
Id bet there are more people killed everyday by an ak47 than any other manmade means.

the impact if the ak47 on the world has not been a positive thing, and more so than any other weapon.
It inexpensiveness and the sheer numbers it was produced and exported has made terror a daily part of peoples lives throughout the world.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
As I recall hearing, and believing... you could bury an AK in the dirt and mud, leave it there for however long dig it up when you needed it. (Say when a American Huey flew over as you were tilling your field) then go dig it up and shoot.

Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidy up!

That's the kinda gun I'd want in a 'revolution' type situation. Goodness knows what that'd get like.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I do prefer the AK-47 over the M16. It is a fine, versatile weapon that is almost as hardy as a Galil (which is just a modernized Israeli variant of the AK-47 but with more demanding standards).

However, my personal preference is the Fabrique Nationale FAL which uses 7.62x51mm NATO rounds. I'm probably partial to it because my father gave me firearms training with a M1 Garand and an M14. They have a similar feel and shoot pretty much the same, although you don't have to worry about getting your fingers bitten when you swap clips!

Besides, if you add on a nice scope, the FAL makes for a really nice Sniper Rifle if ever one finds themselves in need of one.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

Thats true , but if it wasn't the Ak it would have been something else .
Unfortunately people will always want to kill other people .
Its sad , but I'd still like to have one , not to kill people , but for recreation

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

I know its hard not to feel for places in the world plagued by social strife, and genocide, but always remember guns dont pull their own triggers, people kill people. This has been going on in the world probably as long as its been inhabited. At one time clubs, swords, spears, and bow and arrows were just as feared as an AK.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Personally for me I will stick with the M1A which is the semi auto version of the M14.

The AK and its variants are good rifles, keep in mind they do break, the recievers are notorious for cracking , which while they will still fire the accuracy is gone beyond about 50 yards. Probably the best variants are the Israeli Galil and the Finnish Valmet, all the other east bloc and chinese variants are a crapshoot as far as quality goes. Invest in a good fiberglass stock because most of the original wood is garbage. But when your making 50 million of them quality control is a bit secondary.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Takka

You got to it right before me! I feel the same, I didnt get mine to hurt someone, (shotgun is for home security) I just like knowing im ready for whatever.... On a side note, I'd much rather be shot with an AK, then stabbed ten times and left suffering for three days.. ouch

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
used to be, you could find variations on the ak on just about every street corner gun shop for sale. in the U.S., they are getting harder to find-----you may need to search for a few minutes to find one--still widely available, but more expensive.
no matter the variation though, the ammo is widely available in most countries

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join