It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AK-47: The Ultimate Resistance Rifle

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
M-14 in .308 will outshoot either the AR or AK. Based on the battle-proven M1A1, but with a removable magazine and in .308 rather than 30.06, you don't need a high rate of fire to hit anything out to 800 meters.

And when you hit it with a .308, it's not getting back up.

Can't do that with either the AK or AR.

Assuming you can hit the broad side of a barn.

I see the AK and AR as noise makers.

I see a lot of cowboys that buy anything that looks like an AK for the "bad boy" look. See them at the ranges, and the vast bulk can't hit doodly squat.

I like the Galil, which took the better parts of the AK and the AR, and combined the two.

Well made and reliable.

But mine is in .308.

Just so I don't have to shoot someone to doll rags just to put them down.

In combat, I've carried the AR, the AK, the M1 .30 carbine, a Thompson (too heavy for the action), the Grease Gun (talk about cheap, stamped parts), a Winchester Model 12 cut down, and the M-14.

I'll take the M-14, even though it's heavier.

Every hit was a kill.

Couldn't say that about the others.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
For actually running a gun on a two way range I'll take the AR if given a choice.

The ergos on the AK are not as friendly as the AR. There is a lot of reaching over and around etc. for mag changes, bolt carrier group manipulation etc.

If there is no choice I'll take an AK no problem but given a choice it's AR all the way.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The problem i have with the AK as a resistance rifle is you want to use a weapon that uses the same ammo as the people you are fighting.
i am going to use a weapon that uses the same ammo as my enemy if possible.

Why
'One' The sound. Anyone shooting a M16 will know that you are firing a AK and know you are the enemy.
The navy seals in vietnam tricked the NVA at times by using AKs because the NVA though that they were firing on there own people when they heard AKs firing back and hesitated.

'Two' You can use your enemy's ammo to supplement your own supplies.

'Three' If you get AK tracers they are green.
If you are fighting a enemy that is using NATO ammo there tracers will be red. And they will target green tracers.

"four" If you are using the same weapon as your enemy you have a supply of spare parts. (you should never leave workable weapons on the battlefield for your enemy to recover. strip them for parts and bend the barrels. by smacking them on a tree. or hide them for later recovery by you.)
Also take the mags for your own use.

'five" if you spot a one of enemy and pop him with a AK and there is a enemy patrol nearby armed with M16s they will know the shots did not come from there own people. and you will become a bullet magnet.
If you are firing the same weapons they will think there guy fired at something and be slower to check.

You can if you have reloading and bullet pulling equipment pull the bullets of there ammo and pour the powder from one of there rounds into another round that you have pulled the bullet from and make a overload.
leaving a mag with a number of these overloads around for them to find can get interesting.
If you can get C4 or other high explosives and some fuse type blasting caps or other primary explosives replacing there powder with a small amount of primary and the rest of the case with C4 or other high explosives can really be fun to watch when they fire there weapons. The navy seals were experts at screwing with the NVA like this to the point that the NVA believed that there own ammo from Russia was being sabotaged by the Russians that supplied it. It also removed one gun and the operator from action and caused the enemy time and resources in burying or treating there personal.
PS never pick up any ammo mags or boxes you find dropped on a trail until you have checked for traps (a small mine or a grenade will mess up your day)and never use the ammo in your weapons. Only use ammo off dead enemy's or that you take from there vehicles after you have killed them.(leave some boobytrapped ammo behind just for fun)
dropped ammo may by booby trapped. don't be a booby.

The NVA in vietnam were good teachers but we were better at teaching them not to trust us.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

You can just take your enemies weapons when their dead if it comes to that.

But in terms of guns..

If it's a long range fight? AR all the way.

Close and urban? I'll take the AK.

Both are good.

Ultimately I'll take what I can get.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Closest thing to an ak I have held was an ak48 china mil type jobby, of course rather illegal in New Zealand...

So in absense of any combat experience i'll leave you with a quote...

"AK-47, the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively, have to kill every single motherf@[ker in the room; accept no substitute."

If I were to own any gun in the world it'd be a properly 'adjusted' ak. The tigr dragunov svd I find rather tasty too.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
"I don't know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but I'm sure all battles after will be fought with Ak's salvaged from the rubble."

By the way I just love the Vintorez sniper rifle but if I could have any weapon in the world, it would be an AK-47. When aliens attack AK's will fend them off.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I got to agree with you on that one. The AK-47 is a workhorse, shots first time, every time. Pick it up from mud, don't even have to wonder if it will shot. The kick is just right also making it a fun gun to shot. Time tested and combat proven. That's why it hasn't been replaced.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by loki41872

damn! dunno how a thread about AK's got by me. I've got mine and love it. The AR might be superior in accuracy but that's about it. Certainly not worth the extra thousand bucks you'll have to shell out.
Good AK's run about $600+ and I was gonna reccomend the Saiga rifle; same design as the AK and much cheaper ($400). major drawback to the saiga is mags cost $50 (!?). I've read that you can modify Ak mags to fit but have no first hand knowledge of it. Saiga also makes a kick ass semi- auto 12 ga for about $700. I want one of these!
You can't get SKS for $120 anymore, more like 3-$400, ridiculous!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by loki41872

damn! dunno how a thread about AK's got by me. I've got mine and love it. The AR might be superior in accuracy but that's about it. Certainly not worth the extra thousand bucks you'll have to shell out.
Good AK's run about $600+ and I was gonna reccomend the Saiga rifle; same design as the AK and much cheaper ($400). major drawback to the saiga is mags cost $50 (!?). I've read that you can modify Ak mags to fit but have no first hand knowledge of it. Saiga also makes a kick ass semi- auto 12 ga for about $700. I want one of these!
You can't get SKS for $120 anymore, more like 3-$400, ridiculous!

Saigas can indeed be modified to accept regular AK mags. Quite easily, too. And if it's done correctly, they will still accept the Saiga mags as well.

And the Saiga 12 gauge has come down a lot. One can be had for under $500, now. Saiga rifles are around $300, and a Romanian AK can be had for $300 to $400

Check out Classic Arms.

[edit on 10/12/2009 by loki41872]

[edit on 10/12/2009 by loki41872]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
There is only one problem with the AK that is is notoriuously known for its inaccuracy. This is because of the high pressure of the round exiting the barrel. When enough rounds have been fired through the rifle the barrel becomes pliable and flexes when shot. This was recently filmed on a history channel doucmentary about assault rifles. Making accuracy dwindle with every shot. Although it will work and is idiot proof, it woulnt hit the broad side of a barn if you NEEDED accuracy. It is as accurate at 300yds as an M4, it can shoot at farther distances but buts the barrle flexes dot expect to hit your target. But then again a working rifle is always better than one that doesnt. But any amoror will tell you that up keep will keep any rifle in working order.

BUt any who has ever taken fire and returned it knows... its not what kind of gun is in your hands... its who's behind the trigger!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
AK-47 was replaced by the AKM in Russian service in 1950's. It (not the AK-47) is the rifle that was copied by countries such as China or Bulgaria and spread across the world.

In the 1970's, the 5.45mm AK-74 was introduced in Russian service. However, the AKM remained, and some troops still preferred the AKM over the AK-74, particularly in scenarios such as door-to-door fighting, where the AK-74's improved accuracy wouldn't make any difference.

Today, both the AKM and AK-74 are being replaced by the AK-103 and AK-74M, respectively.

Like the AK-47? Check out the AK-103. Better accuracy, synthetic plastic furniture, ability to accommodate pretty much any accessory that its western counterparts can, and the same firepower.

rus.mil.pl...

Pictured is the AK-103 with an underbarrel 40mm GP-34 grenade launcher.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I just bought a WASR-10 Romanian AK-47 and i love it. The Romanian ones come with a couple small problems like the canted front sight post and the magazine wobble but mine had none of that.
I bought it from a cop friend of mine that needed cash for a new duty weapon. From day one i had intentions of stripping it and making it more tactical. I have all the parts in except for the optics package and the flash suppressor. (Backorder)

What i put on it:
www.veriforcetactical.com...

www.ifatactical.com... 4th one down is mine.

www.ifatactical.com... 8th one down is mine.

I have several weapons but for some reason the AK is the most fun.
Im not dissapointed at all.

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Personally I'll take an M16 over the AK, but there is no doubt that the AK is the preferable weapon if you're running a resistance in a third world country. You can go on about which weapon is more accurate, which one has longer range, which one has deadlier ammunition, at the end of the day those factors really don't mean a thing. What makes the AK-47 the ideal weapon is that they're cheap, and they're available.

There was a line in Lord of War that I think is appropriate for this discussion; "Do you know why I do what I do? I mean, there are more prestigious assignments. Keeping track of nuclear arsenals - you'd think that be more critical to world security. But it's not. No, nine out of ten war victims today are killed with assault rifles and small arms - like yours. Those nuclear weapons sit in their silos. Your AK-47, that's the real weapon of mass destruction."

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Lord of war was a good movie.
The reason i bought my AK was because it’s fun to shoot. Im not starting any revolutions or trying to survive im just looking for something badarse to shoot. And it’s a blast. And people that say an Ak is not accurate? I had no problems hitting the target at 500 yards. I use a scope but it’s still an easy thing to do. In the marines we shot the m16 at 500 yards with iron sights. I was allot younger then. I can hardly see that far now.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
i have never fired the ak before but i have talked to a lot of people who have gotten one in iraq and they say it is very inaccurate. also i would rather have 5.56 you can carry a lot more of those bullets.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
well as a military service personal whos used it a lot...not so much the longer the distance the more the bullet falls....the future lies in 6.8 to be honest tho 5.56 is fine as long as you use hollow points or other types...but seriously ak 47 doesnt even need a scope cause it wont go where you want unless theres someone in front of you at 50m its all power little accuracy ill let the hardcore gun experts debate you now

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join