It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thunderdome: Fed water embargo on - CA farmland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
OK, so it's not exactly Master Blaster cutting off Methane from the city. But a large amount of the nations and worlds food comes from the central valley.

www.foxnews.com...

The Valley Hope Forgot: Schwarzenegger Responds to Crop Crisis
Friday, September 18, 2009

SCHWARZENEGGER: Well, I think that, you know, we have a terrible crisis on our hands. And this is a crisis, not because of some disaster. It's a crisis self-inflicted. This is something that the federal government is doing to us. We have done, like you said, everything in the book to convince them otherwise and to turn on the water.

But all they're doing is, is just letting us know that this is impossible to do and do whatever you want, you're on your own. And they're not going to help us.

And I think that it is a horrible situation to have, you know, federal judges interfering with all of this. We have federal judges for the salmon. We have federal judges for the smelt.

Where is the federal judge for the farmers? That's what I'm asking myself. Where are the federal judges for providing our food and providing jobs and helping our state? That's what I'm asking for.

So I think the federal government has had a good relationship with us. We have had a good working relationship with them. But, in this particular case, they have absolutely screwed up in the worst way.

Writing the letters, bringing the political leaders out to our — the valley. And to show them firsthand the 40-plus percent unemployment rate, the way the people are suffering. How we have, you know, have to hand out foods to them. How they have no way of making a living or anything like this.

And this is not only just in the local area or in the valley. I mean, this limits us in the amount of food that we can produce in California, and the valley has specifically always been the place that, you know, feeds the world.

So, we are being handicapped here by federal judges, and this is the terrible thing about it.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Dbriefed]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Yeah I actually watched this it is absolutely sickening. Americans and their families should always come first in any situation.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I've been suspecting that they will manufacture a food shortage to go along with the manufactured flu crisis.

The amount of food this is going to short us is amazing. I live in Canada and people always say that Canada exports more food than it imports so we are safe. But the truth is we export grain and beef. Most of our produce comes from California.

You can not live on steak and bread alone... as much as some people try.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
They're draining the Colorado river and other sources around them. To produce things like cotton and RICE, which never should have been planted in a semi-arid desert in the first place.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

You bet your arse you can! Dairy products and meat have supported people for thousands of years, add eggs into the mix and you don't need anything. However, this is contrary to the brainwashing that goes on by vegetarians and their ilk.

This water fiasco is about control and control only. The government is trying to hit Americans where it hurts and what do we do? LOL We sit back and take it. If we keep grabbing our ankles pretty soon we are going to end up with a serious case of hemorrhoids.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

This is the TRUTH! Most of California is a desert and the population has been booming for decades now. It's ridiculous. I love it here in SoCal...........so many wealthy people but yet so many idiots...........with all the irrigation most people forget this area is a desert for the most part.......but the lady next door has no problem spending hours washing her 1985 BMW knowing full well it's much more efficient to take it to a car wash which actually recycle the water supposedly. Human beings are morons for the most part. Thank god we have technology to help us keep up with our stupidity. But even that will one day lag behind our ignorance and laziness.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
California central valley is the most fertile soil, with weather most suited for growing crops...Feeding the nation and the world.

The fact that this crisis is a Federal imposed restriction on the water to the farms shows that This Federal Government is commiting an act of terrorism against its own people!

S&F!

[edit on 20-9-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
For shame for shame
Nancy Pelosi, you have rejected 10 attempts to remedy this problem this year; I hope you end up buying your produce from China,
you twit.

[edit on 20-9-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
2 or 3 years ago, near me, i was going into workl one hot humid july afternoon, and saw this woman, older, who was washing down her driveway!!! i was at a red light, just staired in awe in how mindless and waistfull it was. Then again, years go, i saw another near neighbor, older guy, in january, dead of winter, afternoon time, using aome kinda handheld lowtoch to melt the snow of his dirveway. the water one ticked me off alot...all she was doing, for a good 15 to 20 minutes, was sprayig her half used driveway off, so the heat wouldnt tear it up more...sick

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
What is very bad is that it is getting worse. As I also live in So California, what is making this to be bad is that the farmers and growers in the area have a tough time when it comes to water. The Government tells them how many gallons of water they are allowed to use. If they use less, then the water they recieve is cut back by that amount the next year. If they go over, then they are fined. It is a lose/lose situation for them. What I am shocked at is that the government is not trying to find solutions for the farmers, rather than just turn off the water.
The other bad thing here in So Cal where I live, and it makes a lot of people upset, is that there are some places where you drive by and the lawns are green, and it is not from not watering, or using alternative means to water such.

new topics

top topics

join