It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How literally do you actually take the bible?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Yet, how many trash it to no end, without ever having even really read or studied it..? Now THAT is foolish and very ignorant, and so utterly presumptuous it's both rude and arrogant

Even worse are those (normally xtians) that do the opposite.
Ignorance wears many suits.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Tomis_Nexis

"god moves in mysterious ways.

" So does a meth-head.

Absolutely priceless !

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Strong's Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary for "damam" (#1826), "amad" (#5975) and "tamiym" (#8549). "lit." and "fig." are abbreviations for "literal" and "figurative" respectively
For instance the word "Circle" is defined in the context it is used and assumes the reader will have common sense in its exact definition. Circle may mean Ball, 2D plane in cut in a circle, it may mean round in 3D these are all subcategories of Euclidian geometry where circumference, or shapes are all under the heading of "Circle"

Now This is either the writer who is a man and is allowed to make mistakes OR he wanted us to believe in the four legged bird.

Sometimes mooscow we have to "Translate" the authors intent with such ancient texts and you choose to insist he meant fourlegged bird because that makes or a much more useful referance to mock the book and lets face it moo, that is what you are all about as often as you can be about it regardless of how far you have to reach or how ignorant you willfully remain to keep that "Bible Zinger" alive and usefull to disparage, it and anyone you can piss off with your incessant antagonism.

In a time where writing was very time consuming so the art of "story" was used to pass on the news of such historical events, and they were quite good at it too. The scribes many of whom could recite volumes of libraries verbatim but not without having a literary license to do things all humans do. Ironically it is only when you want to criticize the Bible saying a Book written by MEN! As if we are supposed to shudder to think and utter to say, "How dare you!" question the Bible. Atheist's used to hate that, now it is the cookie cutter comeback for challenging Darwin. "How dare anyone try to question SCIENCE!”

Bottom line with all the obvious reasons there are to give the author the benefit of the doubt and admit, it is easier to believe he meant bats because he says bats right before it for one. Two, Bats DO creep on all fours. Three, the Bat is listed in with all the fowl AND FOUR SIMPLE BECAUSE THEIR ARE NO FOUR LEGGED FLYING CREATURES OF THE AIR but BATS!

So CONVENTIONAL WISDOM DICTATES WE TAKE THE SIMPLEST of the two and it is much easier to believe he meant bats, the Hebrew would certainly use fowl to suggest bats and as I said the context alluded to just after the word fowl is used to clarify.

Its BATS so either accept it or keep spreading the more impossible and hard to believe angle because it makes you feel you are making idiots of us, but the jokes on you and anyone with an iota of common sense can see the author means Bats as it is the ONLY plausible reason he WOULD have, considering all the rest of that passage's details.

Chariots found on the bottom of red sea

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Stylez]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Totakeke

So when the Bible says that Adam and Eve were the first two humans on earth, you take it to mean exactly that?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I wonder about this too. So you also believe the earth is no older than 6000 years? How then would you explain all the prehistorical treasures, over millions of years old?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I have a thread that deals with alot of the subjects that just dont add up in the bible.www.abovetopsecret.com... .It mostly deals with sciptures that contadicts each other and a few other subjects on the matter.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Excellent diagnosis of the sacred text, but if you look at America alone and the “literalism", if you were introduce our knowledge to them it would have an major impact on their psyche the “left brain slave” would collapse or go into a violent frenzy. They simply cannot handle the truth because they were indoctrinated into a “’SYSTEM’ of BELIEF” and anything you say to them would be gibberish it’s like explaining the true nature of reality or spirituality to a left brain evolutionist slave. Dr. Carl Gustav Yung and Gnostics have warned and fought against organized religion because it poses a threat to the human psyche due to MASS MINDEDNESS.
They simply cannot see it. “SEEING IS NOT BELIEVE, WHAT YOU BELIEVE AND PERCIEVE IS WHAT YOU SEE”.
The Vatican doesn’t give a damn if you are a believer or a non-believer as long as you remain ignorant that is perfect for them. But Vatican’s and Royal families know these esoteric knowledge, anyone that makes a new discovery like ENOCH they would immediately have their claws in this texts and suppress the truth like they have done for 2000 years.
Any evil organizations will collapse on itself it’s only a matter of time, if Jesus did come back it would rock the hell out of organized religion.
Word of Wisdom
Saint Paul Gal. 3:13
“Christ redeemed us from the curse of the laws of Yahweh the creator”

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Eight

It doesn't.

Lilith was made before Eve

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Stylez

Ok you've persuaded me (for now lol) that a bat is not a bird and birds don't have four legs, unless of course they did (according to a previous poster) as yahwhe jesus moves in mysterious ways.

So the bat thing was an error in the editors office, needless to say the same type of error occurred when they penned the man living inside a fish,or 2million Hebrew slaves exiting Egypt.

By the way what happened to your evidence of 25000 Egyptian troops and chariots at the bottom of the red sea ?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknessFollows
I wonder about this too. So you also believe the earth is no older than 6000 years? How then would you explain all the prehistorical treasures, over millions of years old?

Apparently the devil put them there to trick us, fooled me straight away, must have took those demons ages to care those gazillions of stone fossils then make it really hard to find the best ones.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke
reply to post by DarknessFollows

So, how literally do you take the bible?

I take the Bible completely literally (save for things like Jesus' parables) because not taking the Bible literally makes it very easy to distort what the Bible really says, and that's dangerous. It allows fallible men to replace sound Biblical doctrine (written by an infallible God) with their own doctrine.

So you really believe the earth is center of our solar system ?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

If we don't know where the center of the Universe is, then the center of a solar system (or galaxy) is rather trivial to the biblical notion that we are at the center of it all.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by avant-garde]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
How about some F&S for the op that has put forth a thought proving thread for everyone.

Adam and Eve were races of people.
I offer no evidence.

Peace!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

No, I don't consider what I believe in to be a religion. Really, I don't see what your beef is with Christians and religion. I do have a question though. What about Hindus and Buhddists and Muslims? Do you refer to them as Xdus, Xists, and Xlims? You could be a religionist, which is no better than a racist. What about Christian's rights too? What about the Christian Americans? People get bent out of shape for talking bad about muslims and tv shows won't even touch the topic, but I guess it's just the norm to make fun of Christianity though right?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Peace!

Adam and Eve were also told to go forward multiply and RE-Plenish the earth.

How do you Re-Do something that hasn't been done before?

I know there are answers for this because I have read them. But they make about as much sense as my hubby's gramma telling me earth fossils are because God used ancient materials from another planet.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

I offer no evidence.

Peace!

Yes, from what I understand the "first" Adam of Genesis was in fact the great Adam Kadmon from the Hebrew Kabbalah. Adam Kadmon is said to be the prototype or archetypal pattern of the Human Race. The Hindus saw the great being as Purusha, the primeval giant, or the great Manu, the progenitor of mankind. Carl Jung also recogized the myth of a Cosmic Man in our history. And the list goes on. There's a lot to investigate re Adam Kadmon. He is sometimes viewed as the Sephiroth, and sometimes with the Tree of Life itself.

Madam Blavatsky says that Genesis is not so much an account of the very beginning of the Universe, although by analogy it could be interpreted that way, but rather the account of the beginning of the 4th Round of Evolution on our Globe. With each great Round of Evolution, Blavatsky says, another Kingdom of Nature appears on Earth. And between each Round a total destruction (ice age?) occurs. And within each Round a division of 7 races occurs, of which our current race is said to be the 5th race (of the mind), following the 4th race (of the emotions) from the continent of Atlantis.

Not only are the animals created therein after the “Adam of Dust,” but vegetation is shown in the Earth before “the heavens and the Earth were created.” “Every plant of the field before it (the day that the heavens and the Earth were made, v. 4) was in the Earth” (v. 5). Now, unless the Occult interpretation is accepted, which shows that in this 4th Round the Globe was covered with vegetation, and the first (astral) humanity was produced before almost anything could grow and develop thereon, what can the dead letter mean? Simply that the grass was in the earth of the Globe before that Globe was created? And yet the meaning of verse 6, which says that “there went up a mist from the Earth” and watered the whole face of the Earth before it rained, and caused the trees, etc., to grow, is plain enough. It shows also in what geological period it occurred, and further what is meant by “Heaven and Earth.” It meant the firmament and dry incrustated land, separated and ridden of its vapours and exhalations. Moreover, the student must bear in mind that, as Adam Kadmon, “the male and female being” of Genesis, ch. I., is no physical human being but the host of the Elohim, among which was Jehovah himself — so the animals mentioned in that chapter as “created” before man in the dead letter text, were no animals, but the Zodiacal signs and other sidereal bodies.
- The Secret Doctrine

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Neo__]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

Originally posted by DarknessFollows

Apparently the devil put them there to trick us, fooled me straight away, must have took those demons ages to care those gazillions of stone fossils then make it really hard to find the best ones.

You are killing me!! Busy liitle bees, aint't they!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sr_robert1

No, I don't consider what I believe in to be a religion. Really, I don't see what your beef is with Christians and religion. I do have a question though. What about Hindus and Buhddists and Muslims? Do you refer to them as Xdus, Xists, and Xlims?

Dude, not once has a jew a muslim a Buddhist or hindu knocked my door to kindly inform me or my children that we will be tortured for all eternity should we not think like them.

Not once has a jew or a hindu , a Buddhist or a seihk called me evil scum, demonic filth or would like to crack my skull open given the opportunity or would like to see me roasted on a fire.
(And that's just on ATS U2U !!!)

Not once has a jew a buddhist or muslim etc knocked my door to ask me for money, because their god (the creator of all that there is !) doesn't know how to handle money so needs me to pay for a new roof on their synagogue or mosque .

You could be a religionist, which is no better than a racist. What about Christian's rights too? What about the Christian

What ??? for trying to defend my way of life and the freedom for me and my family to think independently ?

PAY ATTENTION here please, and anyone else who happens to be reading this thread, (especially those who don't have a religious bent as you can use this as an example of the wickedness of xtianity.)

Both my children spend a considerable portion of their school day in "isolation" segregated from the rest of their friends and school. They are segregated, not because of the colour of their skin, not because of the shape of their bodies, not because of their nationality. My children suffer the indignity and emotional humiliation, because they are "NOT" labeled Christians.

This is only the second week of my sons' attendance at his new school, do you have any idea what it is like to hear about how lonely he feels when he's sent off to sit on his own for no reason other than he should comply to believing, in the invisible man in the sky. The compassionate deity, that would have him stoned to death for misbehaving ?

Americans? People get bent out of shape for talking bad about muslims and tv shows won't even touch the topic,

I don't talk bad about muslims my friend but I will hold someones feet to the fire ( a particular favorite of xtians whilst they they had positions of authority) when they try to force their delusions upon me or my kids.

Flying horses or men who live inside fish, believe what you will but don't try and force it on me,either directly or by stealth.

but I guess it's just the norm to make fun of Christianity though right?

No, I will pretty much have a go at anyone or group that would terrorize or abuse my kids, so don't flatter xtianity into thinking that it is the sole subject of my objection.

Like I have said many times in these threads (which is totally ignored by xtians) believe what you wish and I will always defend your right to do that but keep it in your home or church unless otherwise asked.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by avant-garde

If we don't know where the center of the Universe is, then the center of a solar system (or galaxy) is rather trivial to the biblical notion that we are at the center of it all.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by avant-garde]

Hardly trivial my friend when the very people who proposed that our planet revolved around a star, would be tried tortured or executed for not agreeing that is a flat planet with windows in the sky being circled by a sun.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eight
reply to post by Totakeke

So when the Bible says that Adam and Eve were the first two humans on earth, you take it to mean exactly that?

The Bible doesn't say that.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join