It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How literally do you actually take the bible?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

When I speak of the Bible I mean the things that have people disturbing my peace with a knock on the door telling me I need to get saved because a man that there is no proof of ever existing is coming back soon.

Our view is a matter of perception, new discoveries has lead me to the truth about Lucifer. How can a Latin name appear in a Jewish text centuries before the Roman language existed. I'll tell you how,man.

Man have took liberties with the Bible to make it say and mean what ever he wanted it to and it has worked beautifully. In my opinion, the "dark con of man" is not just a catch phase, it's a statement of fact.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eight
[When I speak of the Bible I mean the things that have people disturbing my peace with a knock on the door telling me I need to get saved because a man that there is no proof of ever existing is coming back soon.

Wow. That's very lyrical, you should write songs. But, yeah, there's no argument from me that the Bible is heavily, heavily, heavily EDITED [necessary emphasis]

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by weinerdog

I was a believing christian, I had a personal relationship with Jesus, or at least I thought at that time, now I would say I was talking to my imaginary friend.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
i take the bible as a book of tall tales and if you don't believe what i say i'll hit you, kind of thing. So in short, HELL NO! I believe their has to be a creator but i need some type of proof or sign to actually start believing in definitely instead of some days i do and don't. Besides the old and new testament were made by Jewish people. How do we know they just put what they felt was right according to them? I trust no book or text of religion written by MAN, for MAN corruption easy and all they touch.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sr_robert1

To me, it's more of a history lesson. Instead of condemning the Bible and making fun of it, I don't see why people don't just read it and try to get something from it.

And what would you have others take from it ?

Let's see history lesson no 1, the exodus of some 2 million Hebrew slaves did not actually take place ?

The earth is a damnsight older than 6000 years ?

Birds did not have four feet covering the period between 6000 years ago and today.

Snakes are completely unable to talk ?

A man cannot live inside a fish ?

The earth has never been subject to a flood that covered the highest of mountains ?

Dead people do not get out of their graves an pop into town.

The earth goes around the sun ?

Unicorns are imaginary ?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Birds did not have four feet covering the period between 6000 years ago and today.

ohh, where's that at in the bible? the rest of your list i've already resolved but this is a new one

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The Bible is a collection of writings by maybe over 40 people (possibly only one or two but more likely 5 or 6 and based on stories that had been passed down and they in most cases added the names of the story tellers.) in a few thousand years. (context of language changes over 1000 years and the style of writing does not change enough to show that there were 40 people. every one writes different but this does not show enough variation to have been written by 40 people)

As a Deist , I believe that it has lost a lot of meaning and been distorted by repeated translations and by different religions over the years and can not be taken literally.

As a Deist i take the bible as a guideline as to there belief in the days that its was written.
And as a guideline to live by but not as absolute religious law. much of it is outdated or violates common decency.

The Deist Principles do not say any thing about other religions, lifestyles, and respect other beliefs.

And is based on a belief in god and a moral lifestyle.

You shall honor and worship the Creator in a fashion that suits you

You shall treat others with dignity and respect and you shall insist that others respect your dignity as well

You shall live life pragmatically and use Reason as the cornerstone for all you think, say and do

You shall be honest and not lie, cheat or steal

You shall not harm another unless it is in defense of yourself or loved ones

You shall treat others as you want to be treated

You shall take responsibility for your actions

You shall have faith in yourself

You shall honor and be faithful to your Father, your Mother and your Loved ones

You shall learn from the mistakes that you will make

You shall find awe, inspiration and beauty in the creation and the natural order of the universe

You shall search for truth and be willing to accept new ideas based on reason as you are exposed to them.

You will see that there is No conflict with the Constitution of the United States.
This is because some of the writers of the Constitution were Deist.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by ANNED]

[edit on 12-9-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
You shall honor and worship the Creator in a fashion that suits you...

You're kidding, right? You're being sarcastic or facetious or something, but you're not being serious.

Originally posted by ANNED
you shall insist that others respect your dignity as well

Insist that others respect your dignity? Does this imply enforcement?

I demand your respect!

RESPECT ME NOW!

You know what happens when you "insist that others respect your dignity," right?
You get an iron boot on your neck.

Welcome to planet Earth.

See, this is the difference between divinely-inspired commandments and man-made guidelines... Adhering to the commandments might keep you and your descendants alive indefinitely in the real world — but insisting that others respect your dignity will get your ass assaulted or enslaved or killed in the real world.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 9/12/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
If you take god out of the bible what do you have?

I mean if you just look at it as if it is a novel - a story - what do you have?

I doubt any critic would give it a rave review.

Its confusing - contradictory - and almost impossible to read.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by cormag

But why had to be there a creator?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknessFollows

How literally do I actually take the bible?

Not very. Most of it is couched in myth and symbolism which does, if interpreted correctly, hold a seed of truth. However, it's the interpretation that's up for question. Most of the interpretation has been given to us as dogma and doctrine by church officials with political agendas, i.e. the controlling of the masses through fear of the devil and threat of eternal hell.

However, it is interesting that the very beginning of Genesis coincides with both ancient eastern beliefs and modern western science. The ancient Hindus always believed that before the Earth was created there was God. And modern day cosmologists are in general agreement that chaos and darkness preceded form and light. Matter and form, I believe, could very well be the 'effect' of an unseen 'cause'. Like the shadow or reflection of a spiritual and formless Universe.

There are a numerous examples of hidden truth in the Bible. At least I believe this to be the case. Take the fall of Adam and Eve for instance. If the Human Race is indeed a unique 'Kingdom of Nature', separate from the 3rd animal 'Kingdom of Nature', then perhaps we represent that unique part of nature where spirit and form meet. We are physically a species with animal like bodies but we are also something else. We are "consciously aware" of ourselves. We are "The Thinker", the ones that know "good and evil". I believe that the story of Adam and Eve and the forbidden fruit is the myth of this 'coming of mind', that point in our Earth's history where mind 'descended' or 'fell' from a higher realm and became manifest into matter. It's the story of a new and distinct kingdom of nature appearing on Earth. And the next kingdom of nature, "Thy Kingdom come", is the spiritual part of us all taking control of us, the reflection. This will be when we, or at least the majority of us, succeed to our Father's will, not ours.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Neo__]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by moocowman

ohh, where's that at in the bible? the rest of your list i've already resolved but this is a new one

KJV Leviticus 11:20
All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you

I know what the xtian response is "ah they really meant insects"

But we know how many feet insects that fly have, unless of course they evolved.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
The bible is not even an accurate historical book, there are contradictions riddled through it. There is absolutely no evidence to back up the majority of claims, I agree with an earlier post, I believe it as much as a fable, it has some good stories and morals but that's as far as it goes.

I did not always have that view, I was a practicing catholic raised in a catholic family and always went to church. I even served on the alter. However, denying ignorance I started to ask questions and received no credible or even believable answers.

Peace

Contradictions? I love untangling those! Ya got any I haven't heard and haven't been able to prove is not a contradiction?

I get it that you believed in God but the Catholic Church isn't the best example of being forthcoming with answers and most of the sermons, I listened to there was a lot of latin and greek stuff being said. They all looked scary too. Them guys dressed in black with them naru collars and the nuns all wearing hoods and no makeupall looking like little truman capote's with friar costumes on. The scary statues with half naked men all bloody and guts hanging out, their chest ripped open and their heart exposed. Kneel , stand, Kneel, Stand, Kneel, Stand. jeez what a pain in the butt and speaking of pains in the butt, those pews they made us sit on were solid oak! NO padding No arm rest for all cept those lucky enough to get the inside aisle seat.

They got to dash out faster than most.

Then their was all that phantom of the opera kinda of music. I mean really weird. My Dad finally yanked us out of that church when I asked him why the father kept asking me if i masturbated at all as part of my list of sins during confession. I really didn't know what the hell the word even meant so I asked my dad and that was all it took.

So one could say I had enough scary experiences to write off God completely but I didn't. Nope God hounded me and kept sending me people who DID know the answers and they came when I wasn't asking but were questions I had asked the wrong people for answers before.

Also their is the possibility man has not arrived at the kind of technology that can prove some of the events in the bible really DID happen.

The 250, 000 remains of egyption soldiers and all the chariots found at the bottom of the RED sea where Moses escaped through.

The mass veritcal graves of over 1.5 million sodomites and the huge balls of sulfur (brim stone) found beneath the ground.

The numerous things said about the universe back then that Science is now corroborating that no one could have known existed back then,.

Lots of reasons to find that book fascinating, unless you got something against religious things and most people I see criticizing the bibe with such vitriol and zeal, happen to be atheist's gays on the activist side of ATS.

Anyone hates a book THAT much, makes me wanna find out more about it hehe.
GREAT POSTS to you, UNDO! You are very smart from what I hear around here .

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
KJV Leviticus 11:20
All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you

I know what the xtian response is "ah they really meant insects"

But we know how many feet insects that fly have, unless of course they evolved.

Ha ha you dyslexic? No serious are you? Read the whole thing and tell me how many categories of things that cannot be eaten are there ?

And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.

Now what does it say right after the bat?

All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you.

in other words, don't eat bats they creep on all fours and as for fowl?

Gen 1:21 And God 0430 created 01254 great 01419 whales 08577, and every living 02416 creature 05315 that moveth 07430 , which the waters 04325 brought forth abundantly 08317 , after their kind 04327, and every winged 03671 fowl 05775 after his kind 04327: and God 0430 saw 07200 that [it was] good 02896.

Back then, included bats, a flying creature of its kind. How can I prove that? Ask yourself what list is it in. (HINT) read the names of the many birds next to it.

wanna argue kinds next? I read some of your stuff, you think you 're a smart cookie dontcha. hehe Got anymore? That last one was waaay too eazy

I DON'T HATE CHRISTIANS, I HATE WHAT THEY DO

yeah me too! but I hate what people do that aren't Christians even more.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Stylez]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
If you take god out of the bible what do you have?

I mean if you just look at it as if it is a novel - a story - what do you have?

I doubt any critic would give it a rave review.

Its confusing - contradictory - and almost impossible to read.

Wow annee thats something, umm gee if you take the phantom out of the phantom of the opera what do you have?

Take romeo out juliet, what do you have?

Take Clint Eastwood out of Dirty harry what do you have?

Take your question out of your post what do you have?

Whats your point

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknessFollows
reply to post by cormag

But why had to be there a creator?

hehe what you are really saying is why was I created right?

I mean you (the creation) asking the creator why he has to be is kinda silly when you think about it. I mean he had to create you so you could ask that question right? That means he wasn't a creator till he created the thing to ask it why it had to be.

Simple, so he could have YOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Stylez

Dude a bat is not fowl, oh and by the way can you provide evidence for the 25000 Egyptian soldiers and chariots at the bottom of the red sea as per your claim.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by moocowman]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
It's a great story written by the Jews (Old testament), that ended up being misinterpreted by Christianity (the "New" testament).

The balls to call yours "new" and there's "old", just because you added one character, Jesus.

Oh, and the "New" God seems to be a great guy, while the "Old" God's a prick, attempting to bbq Ab's son, screwing Moses after the long stroll in the desert...oh yeah, there's a guy you want to work for. I guess God must have taken an anger management class before the kid was born.

Figure it out people. It's a story book.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Stylez

Nope God hounded me and kept sending me people who DID know the answers and they came when I wasn't asking but were questions I had asked the wrong people for answers before.

Totally amazing isn't it, how an allegedly omnipresent/omnipotent/omniscient, inerrant being, that that created everything that is, was or will ever be, not only required an intermediary to communicate with you but screwed up the first time round.

By the way in relation to dyslexia - Is it common for those of you religious bent to mock the afflicted by your god ?

Do you take time out on sunday to mock people with speech impediments or children born with a cleft palate ?

Perhaps some of the priest you spoke of did a little more than allude to certain "sinful"practices and you have chosen to repress the memory? , but your hatred and anger is released in spiteful jibes ?

Yet more evidence of the appalling flip flopping morality from those who set them selves up on pedestals.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I mean if you just look at it as if it is a novel - a story - what do you have? I doubt any critic would give it a rave review.

You haven't read it.

It's a book of Faith, yes, and it doesn't appeal very much to the strictly rational, left-brained readers; however, as a literary work on its own, the Bible is a major work — a masterpiece, even. You may not realize how much of our modern-day vernacular is couched in terms taken straight out of the Bible. Particularly the words of Christ himself.

It's high poetry, a very good read to the open-minded. Inspired Shakespeare and many other of our most revered writers.

— Doc Velocity

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join