It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why pretend race doesn't matter?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Over and over i hear people say that Obama's race doesn't matter. Of course it does.
Is there really anyone out there that is so lost they think that people aren't concerned with race? Please. Are you aware of the fact that non whites didn't have full civil rights ( legally ) until 1964?
Do you realize a great number of Americans living right now were around in 1964?
I'd guess at least 20% of Americans have a problem with having a black President.
Don't say he's half white, in America if you look black, YOU ARE BLACK! Spare me your "reverse racism" bal;oney, this thread is about racism towards Obama.
It's funny how NOBODY can just admit it bugs them that we have a black man as President!

+27 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

The only people it matters to is a small percent of whites and the majority of minority clubs and groups.

The rest of us honestly don't give a crap.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Really, a small minority huh?You actually believe that?
I was told by a Repub friend, ( in private), "come on, you really think people will vote for a black guy?' then predicted a big Repub win.
No, he's not some KKK type, but if you don't see the racism, YOU ARE BLIND!
Get real. Don't accuse me of trolling either! Anybody that thinks race doesn't matter is either, ignorant of history, too young, or lying.
How about an honest discussion of race on ATS?

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

he's just here to start a fight
no point in posting in this thread

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Uh huh.
funny how certain topics are taboo on this allegedly free thinking site.
I gues we just pretend that that elephant isn't in the room.
How charming!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I believe I will take your advice.

Thanks for showing me the light.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
*** ATTETION ***

Discuss in a civil manner, post on topic or don't bother posting, please.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Your next door white neighbor could be more different to you than Obama is. Why pick skin color as a significant property for liking someone or not? Seems a bit strange. I know its common, but its still strange.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

A couple of years ago, there was a huge thread here about why discussions of race are taboo. It went on for something like 160 pages and was all over the map with both snark and insight.

It is indeed a difficult subject to discuss rationally in the US. There is a lot of defensiveness on the subject.

I have said elsewhere I think race plays a larger factor in the fear / hatred directed towards Obama than is acknowledged.

But that's about as far as I can go... saying it is a "larger factor". I'd be hard pressed to put a number to how much larger, but I do believe it is more than the data noise factor would account for.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Race is not a factor unless you are a person who isnt from my generation ( you older people) There is only one color my generation sees and that is Green. My generation helped get Obama elected, My generation belived he would change things. Now we are seeing it as A BIG FAT OLD LIE.

You older Generations have royal screwed this country, it is time for you to go out to the pastor chew your "backy" and let us take over. You r generations have not done anything right in this country, and when someone points this out to you you scream Rasiscm or Sexism or any other stupid ISM you have out there. How about this you guys just go away turn the reigns over to us and let us have at, we cant do any worse then people have done.

Take a thousand points away for that.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I would suggest all of unwilling to believe that race is a significant factor in Obama hating take a look at any of the anonymous message boards online. Try AOL. See if you can find any racial hatred. So AOL is the dregs? Maybe, but more important it is anonymous.
Anybody that can't admit their prejudice is foolish. I have mine, I'm bugged by
Russians and eastern European types! there you go!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
well races matter for the racist people,and even i thought his going to be killed in the first week by some kkk special agents or something..surprised hes alive to say the least...not that im a racist..im not

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I really dont see your point??
?? what are you trying to achieve here? do you have a point to make, or is it like WB says...yer jus trollin. Are you upset because we have a black man leading our nation? So far, I am satisfied with the job he is doing, and yes he is black. I enjoy listening to him speak, even when disrespectful (R) shout out at him while he is addressing the nation. too bad our furom moderators werent their to slap a big warning on his ass! oh yeah and Pres. Obama is black...whats the difference?

I try to love everyone, but I definitely do not like most people. color has no bearing on either.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
wowowowo man,im not a flamer,i didnt meant that i hate him,or i want to kill him,i just though there are alot of racist there who will want to assasinate him..like kennedy got assasinated.
if you want my opinion,i dont mind other colors,i just hate bad arrogant people.
i dont really like him,couse hes just the new mindless puppet of the nwo,no matter that he speaks good to the kids about facebook

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Stillalive]

link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

I would suggest all of unwilling to believe that race is a significant factor in Obama hating take a look at any of the anonymous message boards online. Try AOL. See if you can find any racial hatred. So AOL is the dregs? Maybe, but more important it is anonymous.
Anybody that can't admit their prejudice is foolish. I have mine, I'm bugged by
Russians and eastern European types! there you go!

I used to have race prejudice until I started having friends from other cultures. Now I dont think of a persons race when I meet them anymore. So thats actually something I recommend. Try to make friends. You will think very different of Russian or eastern european people once you have some russian friends.

In my job, I have e-mail contacts with people all over the world. And there is no difference what country the person is from. Its completely irrelevant. I wouldnt be able to separate an American from a Russian. Thats how little race matters in electronic communications. It doesnt have to mean anything more than that in real life either.

In fact many of the people posting in this thread is probably from some corner of Europe you dont think you like. Perhaps its the guy who you are agreeing with. You just cant tell.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Copernicus]

link   

I am sorry, I disagree with you 100%, I do not care that Obama is black.

I could care less is he were purple either, race is not an issue to me, and I am white.

I have never seen race as a viable reason to dislike someone, ever.

I could care less if he was white, black, red, or yellow, I just want the man to do his damn job.

Period.

If you have an issue with the man in the Oval Office for being black, then this is your problem, not mine.

We are all human beings with red blood pumping through our veins, and grey brain matter in our skullcap.

Race has never been an issue for me, I was raised right, to not see a race, but to see a person.

While yes, that person is affected by their surrounding environment, be it a rich neighborhood or the ghetto, they can bypass that environment, and still be a quite intelligent person, because knowledge is power, not a person's race.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
To paraphrase W.C. Fields: "I am free from all Prejudice. I Hate everyone equally."
Just my dos pesos.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Jeeez! Way to miss the point guys!
EVERYONE claims to not have any prejudice towards anybody.
Just becuse you have prejudices doesn't mean you have to ACT on them, But pretending you have none is dishonest.
I'm sick of people calling Obama a commie, a Muslim spy, a traitor and everything else under the sun, but insist ( like the Seinfeld-not that there's anything wrong with that ) they aren't racialy prejudiced! I HEAR it almost every day, but it seems that on ATS everyone has to pretend they are never racially prejudice! THATS PHONEY!

[edit on 10-9-2009 by OldDragger]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join